3 wt. combo recommendations

Old August 11th, 2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
Jim Edmondson

Default 3 wt. combo recommendations

I currently own a 5wt. Orvis TLS/Battenkill MidArbor combo and found it to
be a little heavy during a recent trip to fish the smaller rivers around
Estes Park. I think that a 3 wt. will complement the 5wt. for low wind conditions
on smaller (but not tiny) streams/rivers. I was thinking of something in
the 7' - 8' range.

Looking for opinions on the wt./length choice. The Sage 3wt. TLX 7'10" cast
and felt really good to me, so I am also looking for opinions on reels to
pair it with.

Thanks,
Jim

Old August 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

On Aug 11, 5:00 pm, Jim Edmondson wrote:
I currently own a 5wt. Orvis TLS/Battenkill MidArbor combo and found it to
be a little heavy during a recent trip to fish the smaller rivers around
Estes Park. I think that a 3 wt. will complement the 5wt. for low wind conditions
on smaller (but not tiny) streams/rivers. I was thinking of something in
the 7' - 8' range.

Looking for opinions on the wt./length choice. The Sage 3wt. TLX 7'10" cast
and felt really good to me, so I am also looking for opinions on reels to
pair it with.

Thanks,
Jim

my favorite 3wt is, like forty's, a winston, but in 7' length.
small streams where i fish, in the appalachians, are usually very much
like fishing in a small tunnel.

wayno

Old August 12th, 2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
daytripper

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:58:09 -0700, "
wrote:

On Aug 11, 5:00 pm, Jim Edmondson wrote:
I currently own a 5wt. Orvis TLS/Battenkill MidArbor combo and found it to
be a little heavy during a recent trip to fish the smaller rivers around
Estes Park. I think that a 3 wt. will complement the 5wt. for low wind conditions
on smaller (but not tiny) streams/rivers. I was thinking of something in
the 7' - 8' range.

Looking for opinions on the wt./length choice. The Sage 3wt. TLX 7'10" cast
and felt really good to me, so I am also looking for opinions on reels to
pair it with.

Thanks,
Jim

my favorite 3wt is, like forty's, a winston, but in 7' length.
small streams where i fish, in the appalachians, are usually very much
like fishing in a small tunnel.

wayno

Boy, ain't that the truth :-) My 9' 3 wt Winston was totally out of its
element in the Smokies - even with PJ using it most of the day ;-)

I liked Ken's rod so much I added a copy to my collection, though truth be
told, that little Winston 7' 2 weight that died on the Fontana Lake road was
even better suited for streams like Snowbird and Hazel...

/daytripper (I miss that rod. I wonder if I can have Winston build me another)
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

i haven't heard the story--what happened?

and, fwiw, i have preferred 8 to 9 footers on hazel for the last
couple decades. much easier to mend line, imo.

yfitons
wayno

Old August 12th, 2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
daytripper

wrote:

[...]

The Alarka Cabin adventure?
The day that monster rainbow nearly killed you up on Hazel?

I left my 7/2 in its rod sock on the roof of my Pathfinder for just a moment
while I struggled to keep the swinging spare tire carrier from smashing the
rod. Which turned into it sliding off onto the road about a quarter mile from
the Fontana marina, to be subsequently flattened by persons unknown.

From the looks of the remains, three cars ran over it - or one really
determined fellow :-(

It was replaced by Winston but with a markedly different rod. It claims to be
a 7' 2wt IM6, but it lacks the finesse of the original, and the grip is too
thin for my oversize hands. My youngest son really likes it - but he's
comparing it to the 7.5' 4wt Cortland that his grandfather wrapped for him.

Mending on small streams can certainly be handy, but I'm 6' 5" with an
anatomically appropriate wingspan ;-) so I can get away with a somewhat
shorter rod...

/daytripper (got gangly)
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
Tim J.

daytripper typed:
snip
Mending on small streams can certainly be handy, but I'm 6' 5" with an
anatomically appropriate wingspan ;-) so I can get away with a
somewhat shorter rod...

I was always told I was 6'3". LIARS!
--
TL,
Tim

Old August 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
Wayne Knight

On Aug 11, 5:00 pm, Jim Edmondson wrote:
I was thinking of something in
the 7' - 8' range.

Looking for opinions on the wt./length choice. The Sage 3wt. TLX 7'10" cast
and felt really good to me, so I am also looking for opinions on reels to
pair it with.

Like some of the others, my preferred small stream rod is a Winston
IM6/WT, but I use the 8' 3wt or the 7' 2wt IM6 (eat your heart out
Trip). I'm partial to hardy reels but except for their Asian assembled
Marksman series, the exchange prices have essentially priced them out
of the market compared to the offerings from Ross, Tibor, Abel.

Sage has just announced the discountinuation of the SLT series of rods
and they will soon be showing up at close out prices, Their 3wt rod
using the Quiet Taper fly line is a nice fishing tool. I would pair
with with a Ross Evolution or Ross Rhythm Reel.

Old August 18th, 2007, 04:03 AM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jim Edmondson

Thanks everyone for of your helpful comments. I think that I will try out
the Winston WT and the soon to be discontinued (thanks Wayne) Sage SLT for
comparison to the Sage TLX. I like the fact that Winston offers each rod
in a wide selection of lengths in contrast to most rod makers.

As for the reel, the Ross Evolution is really sweet, but I will now consider
the Orvis BBS II (brians suggestion) in the interest of marital harmony!
I have the Battenkill Large Arbor V which has a similar offset disc drag.
I use it for light sal****er and have had no complaints so far.

Jim

Old September 12th, 2007, 03:25 AM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Update - I ended up with the Sage TXL 3710-3 paired with Ross Rhythm 1
and Sage's Quiet Double Taper line. The final piece was delivered
yesterday, but unfortunately I am out of town for the week on
business. I can't wait to try the new rig out on some ponds in the
neighborhood this weekend!

Jim

On Aug 17, 10:03 pm, Jim Edmondson wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -