When using a controller float....

Old June 28th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Biffa Bacon

Default When using a controller float....

....... fishing off the top for carp using floating baits.
How do you stop the line between the float and the floating bait coiling
back up and pulling itself back to the general vicinity of the float again.

I'm using 12lb mainline as far as the controller and 6lb hookline of about
4ft - 5ft in length.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

Old June 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM
reg

"Biffa Bacon" wrote in message
...... fishing off the top for carp using floating baits.
How do you stop the line between the float and the floating bait coiling
back up and pulling itself back to the general vicinity of the float

again.

I'm using 12lb mainline as far as the controller and 6lb hookline of about
4ft - 5ft in length.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
http://www.brownz.org/

i would say your main line is too heavy, i only use 6 to 8lb line and only 8
if its a bit snaggy.

Old June 28th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Phil L

Biffa Bacon wrote:
:: ...... fishing off the top for carp using floating baits.
:: How do you stop the line between the float and the floating bait
:: coiling back up and pulling itself back to the general vicinity of
:: the float again.
::
:: I'm using 12lb mainline as far as the controller and 6lb hookline
:: of about 4ft - 5ft in length.

As far as I am aware, you can't, the bait and float will always 'drift'
together, regardless of line strength, ...I think it's as the line sinks
into the depths, the two floaters are 'pulled' together (bait and
float)....I don't bother with controllers anymore and prefer to use a small
leger (10g) zig-rig if attempting to reach an island or opposite bank, or
just wet bread can be cast 15 - 20 metres without any other end tackle
(bread applied by bait needle and just touched onto the surface of the water
for a bit of weight, prior to casting)

A beachcaster rig gives perfect presentation, with no line touching the
water at all near your hookbait, but they are cumbersome and require much
practice and a few 'new' bits of tackle, the main one being a special rod
holder.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old June 29th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Richard

"Phil L" wrote in message
news
Biffa Bacon wrote:
:: ...... fishing off the top for carp using floating baits.

big snip

....I don't bother with controllers anymore and prefer to use a small
leger (10g) zig-rig if attempting to reach an island or opposite bank

snip again

Phil et al,

Most of the zig rig designs I have seen have a fixed length hooklink. The
problems I see with this include possible snag when casting to a feature
like an island and having to change the hook link when experimenting to find
the 'magic' feeding depth ....... often somewhere between the bottom and
surface.

Imo both would be remedied if you could set the rig up similar to when a
marker float is used .... but replacing the marker float with the hook and
buoyant bait. Then you could measure off line to set the bait at the
required depth.

Do you think this would work or am I missing something?

Richard

Old June 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Phil L

Richard wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: news ::: Biffa Bacon wrote:
[...]

It's simple, don't use a fixed rig, i just use a sliding lead, this way the
lead sits on the bottom and the bread floats to the surface, if a duck
threatens, you can nip it under the surface and let it come back up once
it's gone, provided you are careful with the reel - no jerky movements or
the bread comes off...ducks will sometimes dive down if they can still see
it though and if they do you'd better be quick in getting the hook out of
there or you'll catch a duck (like I did)....

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old June 29th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Richard

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Richard wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: news ::: Biffa Bacon wrote:
[...]

Thanks Phil ..... get it ....... ;o) .......... Richard