Newbie lessons learned getting started

Old March 31st, 2007, 02:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77

Default Newbie lessons learned getting started

Last Fall I decided I wanted to try fly fishing for the first time. I
was really overwhelmed by the conflicting information I received from
many sources. I did get some good advice by searching the archives of
this group. A couple of times I asked for specific advice here too.
I deeply appreciate the people here who were a help, either directly,
or had made a post in the past to someone else, that I read and
learned from. Anyway, I thought I'd post a few "lessons learned" from
a newbies perspective in case another newbie would land here in the
future looking for answers (and cutting through the misinformation
that newbies are inundated with).

1. The best advice of all was to find a local fly fishing class and
learn from a "person" rather than trying to learn from a book. The
books were wonderful resources AFTER I had that class.

2. You don't need to spend a fortune to have fun fly fishing. Man,
listening to some (bad) sources, I was worried that I couldn't afford
to fly fish, due to the huge cash outlay for fancy/expensive
equipment. I can always upgrade to more expensive stuff over the
years, but to get started you don't need that fancy rod/reel.

3. I started with a Cabella's Three Forks rod and reel (the
denigrated KPOS), but took the advice from people in this group and
replaced the line with a high quality line (I chose the Cortland
444). I've had a lot of fun with this cheap setup and catch lots of
fish (I figure the fish will forgive me if I catch them on the ole'
KPOS). Some elitist folks will tell you that you're making a poor
decision on the Thre Forks because it doesn't have a "lifetime
replacement warranty", but heck, if I damage the rod I'll pay $30
bucks and get a new one.

4. Regarding the point in #3 above, I figure if fishing is THIS much
fun with the starter equipment then it must be pure heaven fishing
with the fancy stuff.

5. Someone mentioned that I should take a class and learn to tie my
own flies. I did that and it was GREAT advice. It wasn't difficult
to learn how to tie my own flies, and I met some really neat local fly
fishermen (and women) who helped me a ton.

6. You don't have to spend much money getting started fly tying. Yes
you can spend a fortune if you want, but you can do just fine without
the big cash outlay. I figure the fish that I'm catching don't know
the brand or model of vise I'm using -- they hit those flies made on
the "starter vises" just as well. I just can't brag and "name drop"
about what vise I have.

7. Once I began using the "starter" equipment, both for fishing and
tying, THEN and only THEN did I have an understanding of what I really
needed -- and what I didn't need. FWIW, it helped tremendously to do
like that NIKE commercial and "just do it" for a while and THEN cut
loose with a bit more money. That way I didn't waste money on stuff,
just because I read about how "you must have this or that" thing.

8. After the fly tying class I found three books to be very helpful
to a newbie like me:
"The Fly-Tying Bible" by Peter Gathercole
"Trout Flies - The Tier's Reference" by Dave Hughes
"The Fly Tiers Benchside Reference to Techniques and Dressing Styles"
by Ted Leeson and Jim Schollmeyer

9. Being with other "newbies" in the fishing class and tying class
helped me feel at ease because they seemed to have the same "getting
started" issues that I did (I didn't feel like a "dummy" when I
realized we all were fumbling around at first. Plus I met some neat
people and made new friends that I can fish with in the future.

Well that's "it" and I hope this might help another guy down the
road. It's just my experience and 2-cents worth. Not from an expert,
but from a "clueless newbie" who's now having a lot of fun catching
fish. Thanks again for everyone in this group who helped me get
started.

Old March 31st, 2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"mdk77" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'll drink to that!

john....

great news...

Old March 31st, 2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

mdk77 typed:
snip
3. I started with a Cabella's Three Forks rod and reel (the
denigrated KPOS), but took the advice from people in this group and
replaced the line with a high quality line (I chose the Cortland
444). I've had a lot of fun with this cheap setup and catch lots of
fish (I figure the fish will forgive me if I catch them on the ole'
KPOS).

Ahhhhh . . . the essence of fly fishing . . .

4. Regarding the point in #3 above, I figure if fishing is THIS much
fun with the starter equipment then it must be pure heaven fishing
with the fancy stuff.

Nope - it's even more fun with the cheap stuff if you're catching fish
and watching the people with the fancy stuff *not* catching fish.

snip
6. You don't have to spend much money getting started fly tying. Yes
you can spend a fortune if you want, but you can do just fine without
the big cash outlay. I figure the fish that I'm catching don't know
the brand or model of vise I'm using -- they hit those flies made on
the "starter vises" just as well. I just can't brag and "name drop"
about what vise I have.

I've got an $80 vise myownself, and it suits me just fine.

[...]

Most excellent news. Good on ya.
--
TL,
Tim