Penns Clave

Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

Default Penns Clave

On Thu, 22 May 2008 06:28:33 -0700 (PDT), Zimbo
wrote:

Just stand right below the dam and fish a bead-head pheasant tail
nymph all day.

Uhuh. That was then. This is now. New fly now.

d;o)

Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

In article , Dave LaCourse
writes
I'm in Massachusetts now. Look me up when you arrive in the States.
I'm in the book.

Don't forget to ask Myron about South Wales in VERY low water :-)

Damn it really was low that Wednesday but we enjoyed.
--
Bill Grey

Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On May 22, 9:28*pm, Zimbo wrote:
On May 22, 6:02*am, riverman wrote:

Then I just parked on the side of the dirt road and hacked
my way due north until I hit the river, and came out just below the
remains of Lower Dam. Had a great time fishing, but it was completely
ignorant of the lay of the river, etc, so it would be a real treat to
fish it with someone who knows his way around. *I cast for an hour or
so from the Upper Dam also (hiked in from the gate), but it was
unproductive.

Just stand right below the dam and fish a bead-head pheasant tail
nymph all day.

--Steve

Right in front of the cabins? Or downstream, where it shallows and you
can get out farther? I was casting from the walkway between the
spillways, but the swirly current made it hard to get a fly to sink.
Maine has a 'no added splitshot" policy, so I decided to tie up some
flies with heavy hooks and heavy beadheads for next time. That will be
this summer, I hope.

--riverman
Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 22 May 2008 19:39:13 -0700 (PDT), riverman
wrote:

Right in front of the cabins? Or downstream, where it shallows and you
can get out farther? I was casting from the walkway between the
spillways, but the swirly current made it hard to get a fly to sink.
Maine has a 'no added splitshot" policy, so I decided to tie up some
flies with heavy hooks and heavy beadheads for next time. That will be
this summer, I hope.

Zimbo is referring to the first Maine Clave. I placed him on the
first long spillway with *the* fly of the day, and he spent the entire
day there catching fish.

You *can* add non-toxic split shot to your leader.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On May 23, 6:43*pm, Dave LaCourse wrote:

You *can* add non-toxic split shot to your leader. *

Dave

Err...are you certain? From my Maine Fishing Regs (2007):

3. FLY means a single pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair,
thread, tinsel, or any similar material to which no additional
weights, hook, spinner, spoon or similar device is added.

4. FLY FISHING means casting upon water and retrieving in the usual
and ordinary manner not more than 3 unbaited artificial flies
individually attached to a line to which no extra weight has been
added.

------------------------------------
I've always interpreted that to mean no splitshot of any kind.
Beadheads and weighted hooks were fine, as long as the weights were
incorporated into the fly, but adding weights of any kind was
prohibited, particularly on the leader or tippet. I figured the
rationale was because weights come off and fish eat them...lead or
not, it wasn't necessarily good for them.

That, and general bureaucracy. I'd be happy to know I'm wrong...I
believe the warden at Pray's by Rip Dam interpreted it the same way.

--riverman
Old May 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

wrote:

On May 22, 9:28*pm, Zimbo wrote:
[...]

Wrong dam.

Steve was parked on Middle Dam.
You were speaking of Upper Dam.

There used to be a small dock on the west side of Upper Dam spillway (haven't
been up there in a couple of years so I don't know if it's still there) that
allowed shooting a longish cast towards the outflow. Good spot for whaling
away with streamers...

/daytripper
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 23 May 2008 06:30:44 -0700 (PDT), riverman
wrote:

Err...are you certain? From my Maine Fishing Regs (2007):

3. FLY means a single pointed hook dressed with feathers, hair,
thread, tinsel, or any similar material to which no additional
weights, hook, spinner, spoon or similar device is added.

4. FLY FISHING means casting upon water and retrieving in the usual
and ordinary manner not more than 3 unbaited artificial flies
individually attached to a line to which no extra weight has been
added.

------------------------------------
I've always interpreted that to mean no splitshot of any kind.
Beadheads and weighted hooks were fine, as long as the weights were
incorporated into the fly, but adding weights of any kind was
prohibited, particularly on the leader or tippet. I figured the
rationale was because weights come off and fish eat them...lead or
not, it wasn't necessarily good for them.

Hmmmmm. Then everyone fishing the Rapid and other rivers are breaking
the law, guides included. I have fished in front of the game warden
at the Rapid (young fellow named Brent) and have asked him about it.
He says it is legal. (???) I've also asked the wardens at the fly
shows the same question and they say split shot is legal, but the sale
of *lead* shot is illegal.

Anyway, I have been using non toxic split shot on the river for
several years.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

wrote:

[...]

My guess is that the "no extra weight has been added" phrase is intended
to distinguish fly fishing from spin casting and bait casting, where the
"extra weight" is crucial to the cast. It's very ambiguous, though.

Ambiguous F&G regs aren't unusual. A careful reading of the Idaho regs
would lead one to believe that multi-fly rigs are illegal. In fact, you
can use up to five flies at one time.