Carp on the Fly

Old April 29th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Default Carp on the Fly

Hello, I'm sure this topic may have been discussed before but....night
before last I hooked into a carp with a "Jitterbee"(barbless hook) .The fish
weighed over 12 pounds. I was useing my 6 weight with a 6 pound tippet and
WHAT A FIGHT!! It was one of those moments that you wait for. I fought
with him for almost 1/2 hour until I got him in. I didn't pressure him
much because I was determined to get him landed. For those that have fished
for carp on purpose or caught one by accident. I'm sure you will agree that
they are a blast to catch. Thanks for your time. Mike Bernardoni

Old April 29th, 2004, 05:18 PM

I think you are right. {:O) MIKE
From what I've heard, carp think WE are a blast to catch.

Old April 29th, 2004, 08:56 PM
riverman

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
wrote in message ...
Hello, I'm sure this topic may have been discussed before but....night
before last I hooked into a carp with a "Jitterbee"(barbless hook) .The

fish
weighed over 12 pounds. I was useing my 6 weight with a 6 pound tippet

and
WHAT A FIGHT!! It was one of those moments that you wait for. I fought
with him for almost 1/2 hour until I got him in. I didn't pressure him
much because I was determined to get him landed. For those that have

fished
for carp on purpose or caught one by accident. I'm sure you will agree

that
they are a blast to catch. Thanks for your time. Mike Bernardoni

From what I've heard, carp think WE are a blast to catch.

What's the Official Ethical Stance (OES) on playing a carp for a half hour?
Do we care as much about playing them to death as we do for, say, a brown
trout or salmon? Just wondering..

--riverman

Old April 29th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message

[...]

From what I've heard, carp think WE are a blast to catch.

What's the Official Ethical Stance (OES) on playing a carp for a half

hour?
Do we care as much about playing them to death as we do for, say, a brown
trout or salmon? Just wondering..

--riverman

I don't fish for them, so I can't speak from experience. But, I see quite a
few carp laying around fishing spots, dead, so apparently some of the
afficionados think they're not a worthwhile life form. Makes me want to hook
the afficionados to my trailer hitch and see if they enjoy similar
treatment.

Old April 29th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Tim J.

"Doug Kanter" wrote...
"riverman" wrote...
"Doug Kanter" wrote...
wrote...
[...]

From what I've heard, carp think WE are a blast to catch.

What's the Official Ethical Stance (OES) on playing a carp for a half

hour?
Do we care as much about playing them to death as we do for, say, a brown
trout or salmon? Just wondering..

--riverman

I don't fish for them, so I can't speak from experience. But, I see quite a
few carp laying around fishing spots, dead, so apparently some of the
afficionados think they're not a worthwhile life form. Makes me want to hook
the afficionados to my trailer hitch and see if they enjoy similar
treatment.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I saw someone swat a fly once, so I picked up a 2 x
4, whacked him a few times in the head, and asked how *he* liked it. It takes
all kinds.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 29th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Tim J.

"Tim J." wrote...
snip
Yeah, I know what you mean. I saw someone swat a fly once, so I picked up a 2

4, whacked him a few times in the head, and asked how *he* liked it. It takes
all kinds.

Holy flashback, Batman! True story I forgot all about until just now: When I was
about 6 years old, my older brother pushed my cat off the top bunk, so I pushed
him off to see if *he* liked it. My parents were ****ed - go figure.

Guess I was a sick lil bastid.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 29th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Tim J." wrote in message

"Tim J." wrote...
snip
Yeah, I know what you mean. I saw someone swat a fly once, so I picked

up a 2
4, whacked him a few times in the head, and asked how *he* liked it. It

takes
all kinds.

Holy flashback, Batman! True story I forgot all about until just now: When

I was
about 6 years old, my older brother pushed my cat off the top bunk, so I

pushed
him off to see if *he* liked it. My parents were ****ed - go figure.

which story puts me in mind of the time when, at age 8, my cousin bobby
and i took his little brother, darrius, who the participants in the first
clave will certainly remember, to the barn at the back of their property.
the loft was probably eight feet high. we were engaged in a really serious
argument about whether or not it was possible for a cape, such as that worn
by superman, to support the human body in flight. darrius became our
experimental model. we tied a towel around his neck (he was four at the
time) and threw him out of the barn loft. he didn't fly, but he didn't die.
so, i have always figured that one out of two ain't bad.

yfitons
wayno (yeah, forty, i know, the name "darrius" is not an accurate
rendition of the name of the persian king, darius, from whom the name
originated. but, ****, after all, we are just a bunch of carolina trailer
trash... )

Old April 30th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Steve Sullivan

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

I don't fish for them, so I can't speak from experience. But, I see quite a
few carp laying around fishing spots, dead, so apparently some of the
afficionados think they're not a worthwhile life form. Makes me want to hook
the afficionados to my trailer hitch and see if they enjoy similar
treatment.

Yet you think hooking them in the mouth with a sharp hook is good for
them?? Personally, I think fish are too primitive for us to care. If a
fish had the brain of say a dog, I WOULDNT FISH FOR THEM!! Just like I
wouldnt go to a park, put a dog bone through a size 6/0 hook, and catch
myself some cute cockerspaniels!
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Wolfgang

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message
. com...

...he didn't fly, but he didn't die.
so, i have always figured that one out of two ain't bad.

Well, actually, it's a good deal better than not bad. Many a pioneer in
human flight did worse. Your efforts (their rather late entry into the
field notwithstanding) are yet another example of the dauntless
determination and selfless courage (I mean, you didn't actually perform the
experiment yourself......in a manner of speaking) that,eventually and at
great human cost (not to mention a whole lot of expensive.....for the
times.....equipment), led to what most of us in the developed world
(Jeffie's gastrointestinal tract be damned) accept as a commonplace. We who
are about to fly salute you!

yfitons
wayno (yeah, forty, i know, the name "darrius" is not an accurate
rendition of the name of the persian king, darius, from whom the name
originated. but, ****, after all, we are just a bunch of carolina trailer
trash... )

You realize, of course, that the internet (and Google in particular) are
currently experiencing a significant surge as a result of that observation,
ainna?

Wolfgang
who'd bet a shiny new nickel that some of the traffic originates in the
neighborhood of chambana.