Northern Maine Weather Around May 25 ? (& Black Flies Quest.)

Old March 14th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Robert11

Default Northern Maine Weather Around May 25 ? (& Black Flies Quest.)

Hi,

Thinking of an Allagash River trip starting on May 25 (for about 1 week).

Know there are a million variables, but, "in general," what's the weather
like
up there in Northern Maine around may 25 ? Warmed up, a bit, by then ?

When do the black flies start appearing seriously ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old March 15th, 2004, 07:41 AM
riverman

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi,

Thinking of an Allagash River trip starting on May 25 (for about 1 week).

Know there are a million variables, but, "in general," what's the weather
like
up there in Northern Maine around may 25 ? Warmed up, a bit, by then ?

When do the black flies start appearing seriously ?

Thanks,
Bob

Weather should be fine and cool: days in the mid 70s, nights in the low 40s.
Black fly and Moosefly season should be getting underway, with mosquito
season around the corner. Expect showers about 1/4 of the days, and hope for
breezes to clear the bugs. The temps improve rapidly around the end of May,
beginning of June. By the middle of june, when you get offriver, day and
night temps should be 10 degrees warmer.

http://tinyurl.com/3ep2u

--riverman

Old March 16th, 2004, 02:07 AM
eric root

I agree, but suggest that you should plan for more variety. I've seen the
last snow about then (it didn't stick, but my green fiberglass canoe turned
white), and you should expect that the fly season will be in full swing by
the end of May. Bring at least a headnet, and a bug jacket is not a bad
idea. A parka will almost surely be welcome on at least one day.

Eric

?

Old March 16th, 2004, 01:49 PM
riverman

"eric root" wrote in message
I agree, but suggest that you should plan for more variety. I've seen the
last snow about then (it didn't stick, but my green fiberglass canoe

turned
white), and you should expect that the fly season will be in full swing by
the end of May. Bring at least a headnet, and a bug jacket is not a bad
idea. A parka will almost surely be welcome on at least one day.

Eric

I agree that more variety is possible, but there probably won't be highly
variable weather (you almost certainly won't have record lows and record
highs in the same week, or a 35-degree cold front followed by 80-degree
highs). It might be better to ask this question in mid-May, once this year's
weather pattern starts becoming evident. If he were doing a week long
Allagash trip every year for a decade and was always taking the same gear,
I'd suggest packing everything from a down parka to Bermuda shorts, but the
overall odds at this point are that it will be a normal year, with temps in
the low 70s and a few days of rain during the week.

That being said, personally I'd hope for a late season snowfall to kill the
damn blackflies. In a 'normal' year, late May is the start of the peak bug
season. Nothing worse than those noseeums that bite your eyelids just before
dawn.

--riverman