Winston IBIS?

Old December 9th, 2006, 12:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Terry M. Helms

Default Winston IBIS?

I'm looking at a Winston IBIS rod. Are these decent rods?

Thanks
Terry

Old December 9th, 2006, 01:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

"Terry M. Helms" wrote in message

I'm looking at a Winston IBIS rod. Are these decent rods?

This was Winston's first attempt at an "entry-level" rod but ended up being
priced at the "mid-level" rod. It has a siginificantly faster action than
the standard Green Winston IM6, BIIx, and LT series. Any new IBIS you are
looking at should be discounted since they were discontinued a year or so
ago and replaced by the Accent and Vapor rod series.

It's a decent rod if you like the action. It will deliver the fly and do a
decent job on most of the fish you are going to catch. As are most the
entry level rods, the blank is made in Asia and there really isn't much
difference rod to rod between the imported rods other than a brand name and
a price point.

Wayne

Old December 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message
"Terry M. Helms" wrote in message

I'm looking at a Winston IBIS rod. Are these decent rods?

This was Winston's first attempt at an "entry-level" rod but ended up
being priced at the "mid-level" rod. It has a siginificantly faster action
than the standard Green Winston IM6, BIIx, and LT series. Any new IBIS you
are looking at should be discounted since they were discontinued a year or
so ago and replaced by the Accent and Vapor rod series.

It's a decent rod if you like the action. It will deliver the fly and do a
decent job on most of the fish you are going to catch. As are most the
entry level rods, the blank is made in Asia and there really isn't much
difference rod to rod between the imported rods other than a brand name
and a price point.

Wayne

I bought one for my brother to use when he retired for the Air Force. I
found it to be a bit clunky in the sections--as in the sections didn't feel
like they were tight. I may be that I was just used to my Sage VPS-Lite,
which casts like a dream to me--no need to comment on Sage Mr. Harrison. I
know what you think of Sage, in general! :~^ )

My brother likes it though. So that's really all that matters. Of course
he hasn't been casting long enough to know a decent rod from a wallyworld
special. I hope he never figure that out either, as he can't afford the
finer things in life, yet, and I can't afford to buy them for him and
myself!

Op

Old December 9th, 2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Terry M. Helms

"Opus" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the info. Basically, I can buy a like new 9' 5wt IBIS from a guy
I know for $100.00. The guy has used it one time.

Thanks

Old December 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"Terry M. Helms" wrote in message

Thanks for the info. Basically, I can buy a like new 9' 5wt IBIS from a
guy I know for $100.00. The guy has used it one time.

Thanks

I'd say, as long as there are no imperfections in the rod--look it over
carefully, that you are getting a bargain. If memory serves, I paid $295
for my brother's rod.

I wasn't knockin' the IBIS, in my last post, as much as tryin' to say that
it just didn't feel like what I am used to. Like I said, my brother is
completely satisfied. However, satisfaction with a rod lasts up to the
point that you buy that next SWEET rod :~^ )

I can't wait for March to roll around, and get back on the water.

Look that rod over good, cause a $295 rod ain't worth a $100, if there's
nick in the tip-top section that breaks on you third of fourth outing!

Take care,

Op

Old December 9th, 2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

"Opus" wrote in message

I can't wait for March to roll around, and get back on the water.

Didn't you have neuro-surgery yesterday?

Old December 9th, 2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message
. ..
"Opus" wrote in message

I can't wait for March to roll around, and get back on the water.

Didn't you have neuro-surgery yesterday?

Yeah, but for some reason the doc don't want me workin', drivin' or climbin'
on slick ass rocks for at least a week--go figure?

Additionally, in all honesty, which is quite difficult for me, I like dry
fly fishin' and winter just ain't the best time to be doin' dry fly fishin'
around these here parts--again, go figure?

How 'bout them Mountaineers! GO!!! APPS!!! GO!!!

Op

Old December 9th, 2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

"Opus" wrote in message
How 'bout them Mountaineers! GO!!! APPS!!! GO!!!

Geez, they've scored another TD since you posted that. 49-17? I think you
can relax now.

Joe F.

Old December 10th, 2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"rb608" wrote in message
"Opus" wrote in message
How 'bout them Mountaineers! GO!!! APPS!!! GO!!!

Geez, they've scored another TD since you posted that. 49-17? I think
you can relax now.

Joe F.

Nope! Can't relax until after the next Friday's game.

Just imagine what another National Championship will mean for our university
and the sportz program--not just the football program.

Of course, I ain't countin' our championship victory, just yet. Bad luck
and all that, ya know.

GO!!! APPS!!!! GO!!!!

Op

Old December 11th, 2006, 12:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

I have the 9' 5 weight and I can't recommend it enough. I tried an
Ibis alongside a Sage XP and a Winston IIx in the same weight and
length. I was impressed enough with the Ibis to buy it over those two
rods (it was also half the cost). It's fast for a Winston, and the feel
is excellent - it didn't feel as noodly as the Boron, but it also
didn't feel as stiff as the XP.

My only complaint is that the lower section right before the grip feels
a little large for a 5 weight, but it's something you get used to.
Other than that, the feel and sensitivity are excellent. It balances
very well with an Orvis BBSIII reel. The rod is a steal for 100$,and I
always felt it was even underpriced at 300$. Maybe I just got a good
copy. The rod is very, very smooth casting with a fresh long leader and
a size 16 parachute adams.

http://wilderness-sportsman.com/wsblog/