The whole "best music/voice/LP/CD" thing...

Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default The whole "best music/voice/LP/CD" thing...

I guess it's just an indication of how different people think and feel,
well, differently, but IMO, there is no "best 5, 10, or whatever of
all time" when it comes to the arts, music or otherwise. For example,
there are times when I wanna hear the Ramones for about an hour (IOW, 50
songs or so...) at a volume that would drown out a 747 powering up (IOW,
something slightly less than live), other times Getz or Brubeck as soft
background, and sometimes I just want quiet. If you were to ask me to
quickly name any 10 artists 4 hours into a raucous party, the answer
would be completely different then if you were to ask me 5 minutes after
I found out my favorite dog was dying. It's simply a matter of what I
want (or need, perhaps) to hear at the moment. It's a lot easier to
name the few random bits of "music" I don't care for than to list
everything I like, and impossible to make a list of X number of
"favorites." About the only groups I can think of off of the top of my
head that I don't like anytime, anywhere are the Foreigner, Journey,
Kansas types - the blecch bands of the 70s.

And just as a personal observation, do _any_ of y'all listen to
_anything_ but either the actual 60s-mid-70s US stuff or its progeny? I
like a lot of it too, but I saw no mention of non-US _anything_ (other
than a mention of Piaf), Elvis, any of the seminal 50s groups, early
folk/"rock-n-roll," Motown/Gordy, , Ray Charles, Beach Boys, Dick Dale,
Phil Ramone "wall of sound" stuff, the Dolls, Sinatra/Martin/Davis/"rat
pack"-"lounge," easy listening, Iggy and the Stooges, "honk-tonk,"
"classic," "Bakersfield"/Owens/Yoakam, etc. country (or any country),
Les Paul, Roy Clark, the Velvet UG/Lou Reed, the Monkees, the Sex
Pistols, the Ramones, metal, "hair bands," the Clash, punk, "new wave,"
ska, reggae, much real blues, any jazz, zydeco, cajun, garage/grunge,
any real operatic, classical, or orchestral, etc., etc., etc. IOW, it
just seemed a __VERY__! narrow musical focus. I mean, come on...ah,
well, CBGB OMFUG, RIP...

TC,
Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

rb608 wrote:
I could go on

Stephane Grappelli and David Grisman Live
Howlin at the Moon - Sam Bush
The New Land - Touchstone
Fresh Aire 3 - Mannheim Steamroller
Between the Breaks...Live - Stan Rogers
Favorite Aria - Nessun Dorma, from Turandot, preferably by Pavrotti
Favorite Opera - La Boheme
Favorite Kids Music - Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer

Old December 22nd, 2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

wrote:
[...]

Tsk, tsk. Expecting sophisticated international mysterioso
double-naught tastes in the cheaply educated chocolate and vanilla,
were we? So, what was hot at the southern Mississippi school of law
and saccharomycine culture back in the day.....hm, dicklet?

But then, MX, H*Q#Q, %EF^^J...

Wolfgang
who shudders to so much as ponder what would be a turn on to drunk high
school chicks.

Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

wrote in message
I guess it's just an indication of how different people think and

feel.......

well put, the whole thing. As I was coming up with the lists I posted, I
thought similar(stated on one that the list could easily change hourly).
Tom

Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

Wolfgang wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hm.......

'S'matter, jimmy floyd?......cat gotcher tung? Why'nchou jist go ahead
an' tell usn's all 'bout all'a them ther international supersensaytions
that none'a we'uns has ever heared tell of.....huh, gurl?

Wolfgang

Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 22 Dec 2006 10:56:04 -0800, "rb608" wrote:

wrote:
And just as a personal observation, do _any_ of y'all listen to
_anything_ but either the actual 60s-mid-70s US stuff or its progeny?

I barely kept track of who I was listening to back then, much less now.
The offspring seem to have decent taste, and I enjoy some of their
stuff (Green Day, White Stripes, some other stuff I don't know what it
is), but it's too new and too infrequent to be ingrained as "favorite".

IOW, it
just seemed a __VERY__! narrow musical focus.

In reality, I listen to far more classical, folk, blues, and damned
near anything else than I do rock; but once the ball got rolling, the
theme seemed set and it does seem to be a common experience, no?
Favorite classical piece? Probably Dvorak's Symphony #9 or Beethoven's
7th; but to choose a favorite album based on those would necessitate
choosing a particular orchestra and conductor. Not so simple. Favorite
speeding ticket music? Holst's Mars. Favorite polka album? Polkas
for a Gloomy World by Brave Combo. Favorite Celtic Album? Her
Infinite Variety, various artists (most excellent, BTW). I could go
on, but for some genres, it's like choosing your favorite child. Can't
be done.

Listen and enjoy.

Merry Christmas,
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

I could go on

AHA!!

TC,
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

wrote in message
Listen and enjoy.

I do, whever possible. So, do you have any personal input to share on this
topic (beyond your observations of the tastes of others)? What do *you*
like? What have *you* seen? C'mon, be a real person, it's not that hard.

Joe F.

Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:59:21 GMT, "rb608"
wrote:

wrote in message
Listen and enjoy.

I do, whever possible. So, do you have any personal input to share on this
topic (beyond your observations of the tastes of others)? What do *you*
like?

Um, from the first post:

"It's a lot easier to name the few random bits of "music" I don't care
for than to list everything I like, and impossible to make a list of X
number of "favorites." About the only groups I can think of off of the
top of my head that I don't like anytime, anywhere are the Foreigner,
Journey, Kansas types - the blecch bands of the 70s."

I realize that some might look at all the letters above and interpret
them as that THEY know that what I was _really_ saying was, "Why thank
you, yes, please, I would like some corn flakes and ginger beer on my
steak this evening..." But I have what I feel is a reasonable belief
that many, even most, who actually read the words will interpret them as
meaning, "It's a lot easier to name the few random bits of "music" I
don't care for than to list everything I like, and impossible to make a
list of X number of "favorites." About the only groups I can think of
off of the top of my head that I don't like anytime, anywhere are the
Foreigner, Journey, Kansas types - the blecch bands of the 70s."

What have *you* seen?

A bigger variety of things, apparently, than you.

C'mon, be a real person, it's not that hard.

C'mon, be a real reader, it's not that hard.

HTH,