Wading boot selection problem

Old November 20th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Jarmo Hurri

Default Wading boot selection problem

I have a somewhat specialized boot selection problem, perhaps you can
help me out.

For me, traveling to a small stream often involves public
transportation. This means that I have to carry _all_ my gear with me,
during transportation and during fishing. Having two sets of boots is
too much bulk. I need to find a pair of boots which I can use both on
my way to the stream, on the stream, and on my way back.

My working plan is to find a pair of lightweight wading boots that do
not absorb a lot of water, and therefore are as close to ordinary
boots as possible after a day of fishing. Wearing the boots on the way
to a stream, and on the stream with hip waders is of course no
problem. What may turn out to be cumbersome is using the same boots on
my way back home. The plan is to use the boots with waterproof,
breathable socks (Sealskinz).

What I need to make sure is that the new wading boots
- are faily good wading boots, naturally
- are comfortable hiking boots
- do not absorb a lot of water.

I think that the local dealers carry the products from some major
manufacturers - like Simms, Weinbrenner and Orvis - but not from all
the manufacturers that you have. However, I can of course order
anything on the net.

My current candidates are Korkers Outfitter convertible boots, since I
could use hiking soles on my way to a stream and felt soles on the
stream.

http://www.korkers.com/product%20page/7500wkg.html

However, I would have to order these boots without seeing them, so I
don't know whether they're good for what I'm looking for. There might
also be other boots out there that I'm not aware of. Or maybe my
approach is wrong - or doomed. I would really appreciate your input on
this.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old November 20th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Don Phillipson

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

For me, traveling to a small stream often involves public
transportation. This means that I have to carry _all_ my gear with me,
during transportation and during fishing. Having two sets of boots is
too much bulk. I need to find a pair of boots which I can use both on
my way to the stream, on the stream, and on my way back.

One possible solution is genuine moccasins, the kind made
from a single piece of thick leather, with no external sole
attached. These are about the lightest shoes possible,
also mould to the shape of your foot when wet, and then dry
quickly -- thus an excellent boat shoe, which I also use when
wading wet for bass-- fairly good grip on underwater rocks.
But moccasins offer no support to the foot, if you need
that to walk a long distance.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old November 21st, 2004, 12:57 AM
al

I would not recommend Simms boots. I have the light pair and after two
seasons have worn the boots out. Not the soles, but rather the "pleather"
reiforncements on the sides of the boots. I do not but would like to own a
pair of Chotas. The Orivs convertable boots look (and feel) solid and
changing soles for walking seems easy.

Old November 21st, 2004, 01:28 AM
Peter Charles

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:33:41 +0200, Jarmo Hurri
wrote:

I've dealt with a similar problem hiking in and out of the Niagara
River gorge. I've been using studded Weinbrenners (you might want to
dispense with the studs) and I used them as hiking boots when dry and
wet. I'd keep a pair of dry Bare 2mm neoprene socks. Hike down in
them, remove the neoprene socks, and then suit up in my waders. When
the day is done, remove the waders and put back on the dry neoprene
socks and hike back up in my wet wading boots while my feet stay dry
and warm.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

Old November 21st, 2004, 01:29 AM
rw

al wrote:
I would not recommend Simms boots. I have the light pair and after two
seasons have worn the boots out. Not the soles, but rather the "pleather"
reiforncements on the sides of the boots. I do not but would like to own a
pair of Chotas. The Orivs convertable boots look (and feel) solid and
changing soles for walking seems easy.

I've never had the slightest problem with Simms boots, and I abuse the
hell out of my boots. I have two pair. One is a pair of leather Guide
boots with felt soles and carbide studs. They are extremely heavy duty
and weigh too much for most of my fishing, which involves lots of
hiking. The other pair is a lightweight boot with felt soles and
removable studs, which are actually sheet metal screws. The removable
studs aren't nearly as good as carbide studs, but the advantage is that
they can be removed if, for example, I want to wear them in a nice drift
boat like John Hightower's.

The problem with felt soles is that they don't wear well. My next pair
will be lightweight Simms boots with Aquastealth soles and carbide
studs. I'll use my current lightweight boots, with the studs removed,
for that purpose in the future.

Old November 21st, 2004, 01:29 AM
Peter Charles

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:29:00 GMT, rw
wrote:

al wrote:
[...]

The soles on my first pair of studded Weinbrenners lasted 9 years.
The uppers gave out before the soles. I'd average 40 to 50 trips a
year, and yes, I did hike in them.

Old November 21st, 2004, 05:25 AM
bugcaster

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message
My current candidates are Korkers Outfitter convertible boots, since I
could use hiking soles on my way to a stream and felt soles on the
stream.

http://www.korkers.com/product%20page/7500wkg.html

I own these boots, and can recommend them only if you are careful to inspect
the spiked felt soles. I've had two of their felt spiked soles come apart
after one or two days of fishing. The idea is workable, but they cannot
seem to get the gluing process to last. I noticed the carbide rubber soles
now are riveted to the harder plastic. Perhaps they will do that with the
felt soles as well. Both soles were replaced without cost, but at a loss of
valuable fishing time.

I have changed soles on the river to save a friends drift boot from cleat
damage, and have not had the felt come lose from the hard plastic. I do
think their felt clogs more easily, and so does not have the same grip as my
Chotas. I've been told to rinse off the felt to help sustain the
stickiness.

There are trade offs with this changeable sole model.