False casting problem

Old December 20th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Jarmo Hurri

Default False casting problem

I have a persistent casting problem: it's very difficult for me to
false cast so that the loop would be vertical (that is, keeping the
rod completely vertical throughout the cast). If I try to do this, the
fly or the line will hit the rod (or worse, my head when I try this
with a short 6'6" rod).

Often this is not a big problem since tilting the rod always avoids
the collision. However, I'd like to use a vertical loop for close-up
precision work.

I've got a couple of books on casting, but I really haven't found a
solution to my problem from these. I know this is a difficult question
since few of you have seen me cast. But I was wondering if you could
still have suggestions as to why this happens. If it's of any help, I
can tell you I don't have other major problems like tailing loops or
such.

Mike?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old December 20th, 2004, 04:40 PM
jackk

Sorry, but if the line is hitting your rod, you have a tailing loop. If th
line is not above the tip of the rod, it is tailing.
If you are casting a lot of line, 40' plus, it is difficult to keep the line
above the tip of the rod. Therfore most people will advise you to tilt the
cast, at least slightly. Try making a shorter stroke ( eleven to 1) to keep
the line higher, changing directions a bit earlier, and casting harder; not
something you may want to do for close in casting. The line will try to
follow the tip of the rod if you give it a chance. When you make your hard
stop, the rod should bend and deflect under the rod.

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Old December 20th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Padishar Creel

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

I have a persistent casting problem: it's very difficult for me to
false cast so that the loop would be vertical (that is, keeping the
rod completely vertical throughout the cast). If I try to do this, the
fly or the line will hit the rod (or worse, my head when I try this
with a short 6'6" rod).

Often this is not a big problem since tilting the rod always avoids
the collision. However, I'd like to use a vertical loop for close-up
precision work.

------Partially snipped------------
Jarmo, this is a challenge for me as well. What has helped me is to have a
fellow fly fisherman, or a casting clinic at your local fly fishing club,
watch my casting and give me advice. I can see casting problems with other
people pretty readily, but not in myself.

Chris

Old December 20th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Wayne Harrison

"jackk" wrote in message
Sorry, but if the line is hitting your rod, you have a tailing loop.

(snip)

wtf is this? someone on r.o.f.f giving casting advice? this place is going
to hell in a peach basket.

wayno (i blame it on cabin fever)

Old December 20th, 2004, 05:02 PM
rw

jackk wrote:
Sorry, but if the line is hitting your rod, you have a tailing loop. If th
line is not above the tip of the rod, it is tailing.
If you are casting a lot of line, 40' plus, it is difficult to keep the line
above the tip of the rod. Therfore most people will advise you to tilt the
cast, at least slightly. Try making a shorter stroke ( eleven to 1) to keep
the line higher, changing directions a bit earlier, and casting harder; not
something you may want to do for close in casting. The line will try to
follow the tip of the rod if you give it a chance. When you make your hard
stop, the rod should bend and deflect under the rod.

The key to avoiding tailing loops is to modify your casting motion so
that the rod tip moves in a straight line (as nearly as possible). I
used to be plagued by tailing loops and the resultant "wind" knots until
I heard this tip and started paying attention to it.

I usually cast with my rod slightly out of the vertical plane, but for
very precise casting it is helpful to keep the rod in the vertical plane.

Old December 20th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Scott Seidman

Jarmo Hurri wrote in
:

[...]

I really recommend "Troubleshooting the Cast" by Jaworowski. You need more
vertical hand movement downward at the end of the forward cast.

Old December 20th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Mike Connor

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

I have a persistent casting problem:

SNIP
--
Jarmo Hurri

That is a tailing loop problem, possibly combined with other
faults. For close in precision work, throw the line UP!!! not back. Take
your rod thumb to your nose. This prevents you from throwing the line down
behind you, teaches you to stop properly, helps tracking, and avoids
overpowering. It is also easier to maintain a straight line path.

Practice a simple pick up/lay down cast at short range ( up to thirty feet
or so)
Use as little power as possible. No hauling etc. Keep the line tight under
your
rod index finger.Do not false cast more than once.

The line will go out in a loop over the tip of the rod. The rod length is
immaterial.

Once you see and feel how this works, it is a relatively simple matter to do
it with other casts as well. Although it does need some practice of course.

This has been discussed quite a lot on sexyloops, and there is quite a lot
of info on it there;
http://www.sexyloops.com

TL
MC

Old December 20th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Mike Connor

There must be no slack anywhere in your cast, and when you commence the
cast, the rod tip should be almost touching the water ( or ground).

Having seen you cast, I suspect you are overpowering. Go back to the basic
cast, as described above, and follow it from there. It is easier to have a
good caster watch you, and tell you what you are doing, but you can do it
yourself if you go slowly and take a lot of care.

Ingrained problems are very much harder to eradicate than teaching somebody
from scratch. The first step towards doing so, is learning to recognise the
fault.

Your description by the way, is the classic description of a tailing loop
fault.

TL
MC