Christmas pressies for fisherman?

Old November 11th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Derek

Default Christmas pressies for fisherman?

"Rachael Reynolds" wrote in message
Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already might
like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
Thanks
Rachael

How about a really stonking swiss army knife I never leave home without one
(eat your heart out Alan Whicker) seriously once you have owned one its
difficult to remember why you hadn't bought one before, Vicky bought me a
deluxe one last christmas and we both carry the small keyring models
Derek

---

Old November 12th, 2004, 09:58 PM
ali-p

"Derek" wrote in message

"Rachael Reynolds" wrote in message
Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already
might
like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
Thanks
Rachael

How about a really stonking swiss army knife I never leave home without
one
(eat your heart out Alan Whicker) seriously once you have owned one its
difficult to remember why you hadn't bought one before, Vicky bought me a
deluxe one last christmas and we both carry the small keyring models
Derek

if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying an
offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...

shame about the world we live in today !!!

Old November 13th, 2004, 12:44 PM
GasMan

ali-p wrote:
"Derek" wrote in message

if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying an
offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...

shame about the world we live in today !!!

I find this rather worrying as I intend to visit Scotland next year
fishing and will have a knife (or two) in my possession. Does this mean
that I will be at risk of arrest as soon as I cross the Scottish border
or only when I reach the Ayr region?

Needless to say I have searched on Google and can find no specific
change in the law relating to Scotland. I will be pleased if you will
supply a reference.

Regards

GasMan

Old November 13th, 2004, 10:38 PM
ali-p

"GasMan" wrote in message
ali-p wrote:
"Derek" wrote in message

if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying
an offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...

shame about the world we live in today !!!

I find this rather worrying as I intend to visit Scotland next year
fishing and will have a knife (or two) in my possession. Does this mean
that I will be at risk of arrest as soon as I cross the Scottish border or
only when I reach the Ayr region?

Needless to say I have searched on Google and can find no specific change
in the law relating to Scotland. I will be pleased if you will supply a
reference.

Regards

GasMan

being an ex matelot, where knives were the tools of my trade, I quite often
flaunt this Strathclyde Police decision of zero tolerance with knives, on
the understanding that I will do no wrong and therefor wont we stopped and
searched by the police.
I am sure that if the knives are kept within a tackle bag and not on display
and not being waved around with the cry of "C'mon ya Bassas", you should be
ok in your visit to Scotland.

ali-p

Old November 14th, 2004, 11:04 AM
GasMan

ali-p wrote:
"GasMan" wrote in message

ali-p wrote:

"Derek" wrote in message

[...]

Ali

I appreciate the reply - my response was basically an attack on the
undermining of civil liberties.

We regularly here about zero-tolerance for this, that and thee other but
rarely does it seem to be based on the law.

My understanding of the carrying of an offensive weapon eg a knife is
that there are two classes of offensive weapon ie a sword stick or some
other type of 'weapon' are an offensive weapon per se. However a kitchen
knife, lino knife or chefs knife etc (what the man on the Clapham
Omnibus would describe as tools) and hence have to be proven to be
intended to be used as an offensive weapon IYSWIM.
IANAL but did, several years ago sit as a jury member on such a case. In
our case the brief tried to get his man off the O W charge as he was a
carpet fitter and it was a tool of his trade - at 11.00 pm outside a pub?
Therefore my belief is that they (the police) have no right to
confiscate(steal) someone elses property unless it is clearly stated in
the relevant Act of Parliament that they are allowed to do so.

GasMan

Old November 14th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

A youngster going to a disco carrying a 10 inch chef's knife isn't
carrying it to trim his finger nails!

Though it gets complicated when a young chef carrying his knife-roll home
after serving a dinner-dance at the Town Hall drops into his local for a
well deserved pint before they close...

I suppose John Major's initiative banning articles that had no-other use
than as weapons but not those which have any legitimate use is about as far
as you can safely go with black and white lawmaking.

Cheerio,