Fishing first time this weekend

Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:11 PM
arccos

Default Fishing first time this weekend

I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks, and this weekend will
the first time I'm actually going to fish "for real". I went fishing
maybe twice as a child with my uncle, but that was about it, and I just
cast and reeled. I just received my first two rod and reels (one for
me, one for my wife... also a newbie), and will be trying to set them
up tonight. Thanks for all the tips and such provided here! I'm hoping
they come in handy.

I'm going to be fishing most likely this time in Lake Arlington,
Arlington Heights, IL. I do have a few questions though, so lemme see
if I understand what I'm doing.

Anyone know any good beginner books for fishing?

What kind of fish can be caught with corn kernels? I want to start
using these to get my wife used to the idea, since she's unwilling to
use live bait at this point.

Can you use some lures without any bait? The kit I got with the poles
has tons of lures, and I'm not quite sure which we should be using, and
if they can be used without bait.

The kinds of fish available at the lake are largemouth bass, northern
pike, crappie, bluegill, catfish, and carp, according to a page I found
on the web. We don't care what we catch this time around, just want
some action, so any suggestions as to depth, lure/bait, and style of
casting (i.e. reel in or leave suspended in the water)?

What's the easiest way to remove the barbs from the hook, and is there
any reason to keep them on any hook?

Thanks for the help, and happy fishing!

Arccos

Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:32 PM
Ronnie Garrison

arccos wrote:

Anyone know any good beginner books for fishing?

I have a book The Everything Fishing Book from Adams Media that is for
beginners - it is available at most big book stores and online. Also,
check out my links to fishing sites for beginners at
http://fishing.about.com/od/basicfishinginstruction/ - I have 85 links
there.

What kind of fish can be caught with corn kernels? I want to start
using these to get my wife used to the idea, since she's unwilling to
use live bait at this point.

Mostly carp, but catfish will hit them, too and bluegill. Throw some
out to "chum" up the area. You will have to use a fairly big hook for
the carp and the bluegill will probably not be able to get it in their
mouth.

Can you use some lures without any bait? The kit I got with the poles
has tons of lures, and I'm not quite sure which we should be using, and
if they can be used without bait.

Most lures are used without bait. Cast them out and try to move them
and make them look alive.

The kinds of fish available at the lake are largemouth bass, northern
pike, crappie, bluegill, catfish, and carp, according to a page I found
on the web. We don't care what we catch this time around, just want
some action, so any suggestions as to depth, lure/bait, and style of
casting (i.e. reel in or leave suspended in the water)?

With lures, keep them moving at different depths and different speeds
until the fish tell you what they want. With bait like corn, let it sit
still on the bottom

What's the easiest way to remove the barbs from the hook, and is there
any reason to keep them on any hook?

Mash them down with pliers - but there is no real reason to remove them
usually.

Thanks for the help, and happy fishing!

Arccos

Hope this helps.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

--
ÐÏࡱá
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:12 PM
Jeff

Personally I have never caught a Bluegill or Cat off of corn and have never
seen anyone do so. Corn is Carp bait. Not saying you cant though, thats just
my 35 years fishing experience. As for the barbs on hooks, if you dont want
them, the best thing to do is simply buy barbless hooks. You can get them
anywhere.

Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:27 AM
Vittorix

Jeff wrote:
Personally I have never caught a Bluegill or Cat off of corn and have
never seen anyone do so. Corn is Carp bait.

Hi Jeff,

how the corn should be threated for fishing carps?
I bought the corncobs today

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 23rd, 2005, 06:51 AM
Rodney

Jeff wrote:
Personally I have never caught a Bluegill or Cat off of corn and have never
seen anyone do so.

I've caught both cats and bream with corn, but not very often, it only
happened a few times while carp fishing, they are not the best bait for
either

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:36 PM
Jeff

"Rodney" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
Personally I have never caught a Bluegill or Cat off of corn and have

never
seen anyone do so.

I've caught both cats and bream with corn, but not very often, it only
happened a few times while carp fishing, they are not the best bait for
either

Musta been starving Cats and bream. JK

Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:43 PM
Jeff

"Vittorix" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
Personally I have never caught a Bluegill or Cat off of corn and have
never seen anyone do so. Corn is Carp bait.

Hi Jeff,

how the corn should be threated for fishing carps?
I bought the corncobs today

--
ciao
Vittorix

1st, dont use Corn on the Cob, use Wal-Mart brand or some other generic
brand of who kernel corn. Just put it on the hook. Read here.

http://www.njskylands.com/odfishcarp.htm

Or 2nd, use a Carp Hair Rig. In place of the orange thing you see here, use
corn.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/carp/hair_rig.htm

Old July 23rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
Rodney

Jeff wrote:

Musta been starving Cats and bream. JK

Should not have been, these were in a large lake. I had thrown half a
can of corn in to chum up the carp. Yes I fish for carp in this summer
heat around mid day, we use ultra lights, and 4 pond test, off of a
floating pier. it is a daily competition (we start over each day we do
this) to see who can catch the biggest on the light tackle,, 15 lbs has
been the largest so far over the years, not bad for four lb test.

Anyway, each time we do this, we sometimes catch a cat, or a couple of
bream, of course we catch many more of both when fishing the same spot
with worms, we sometimes catch carp on the worms.

Now I just use the Wiggle rig and a very, very, small plastic worm, to
catch every thing,( it just catches more fish than real worms ) but we
still chum with the corn.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Rodney

Vittorix wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Personally I have never caught a Bluegill or Cat off of corn and have
never seen anyone do so. Corn is Carp bait.

Hi Jeff,

how the corn should be threated for fishing carps?
I bought the corncobs today

YOU ARE JOKING I'M SURE
You use nibblets corn, right out of the can, you just put a few kernels
on the hook

Old July 23rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
Rodney

arccos wrote:

What kind of fish can be caught with corn kernels? I want to start
using these to get my wife used to the idea, since she's unwilling to
use live bait at this point.

I have found that the Berkly "gulp" worms in a jar at Wal Mart will
catch fish like bream and cats without having to "work" the lure, it's
just like using live worms, but they are made from some kind of meat,
they are not real worms