Fishing first time this weekend

Old July 25th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Jeff

"arccos" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jeff wrote:
"arccos" wrote in message
oups.com...
, but I got out something about "red *mumbles*" as bait, and that he
was using ultralights.

Could be a lot of things but I would take a SWAG at it and say "Red
Wigglers". These are very skinny worms, red, and wiggle around like

crazy.
Put em on a hook and they attract all sorts of fish. I hate using them
because they wiggle off the hook from all the movement. I am surprised

he
just didnt show you.

That's very likely it... thanks for the info! I was a bit surprised
that he didn't really wanna stop and have a chat, about his luck, too.
I just took it that he didn't want to be interupted, so I just went on
my way.

If you fished as you said you were, and just used corn for carp then I

am
not surprised you didnt catch anything. I dont know about the other
fisherman here but I can speak for myself when I say, when I go fishing,
whether its for Big Flatheads or anything else, I take what bait I am

going
to use and I ALWAYS stop and grab a couple of dozen nightcrawlers. If I

am
not catching anything on what I am using, I switch to Nightcrawlers

because
I am not going fishing and leaving without catching SOME KIND OF FISH.
Plus, you can take the Nightcrawlers home, put them in the fridge and

they
will last forever. I have a box in my fridge now that I have had for 3
weeks.

Good idea about the crawlers. I didn't really want to leave without
catching, but I could tell she was starting to get bored (it was a very
boring lake), and I wanted her to want to come back.

We actually just ended up using various lures on either 4lb ultralights
or 10lb. I was having quite a bit of trouble with keeping the cheap
split shot on the line, so we ended up switching to weighted lures and
jigs with soft plastic.

-Arccos

With most lures you shouldnt need any splitshots or weights, the weight of
the lure should be enough. If your using jigs, shad darts or rigging rubber
worms thats a different story, but you definitly dont need weight for
topwater lures, rattletraps or the like. Using an ultralight rig isnt going
to help you catch fish either. Thats not a "Key" component of fish catching.
Would it be more fun to sink a hook into a 10 lb carp on an ultralight than
on say a 6 ft pole? Probably, if you have the skill with working the drag
and the patience to bring him in. But you say your just begining, your
standard 5-6 foot pole with 8-10 lb test should suffice (BTW, 8 to 10 lb
test will bring in fish a lot bigger than 8 or 10 lbs as it stretches,
unlike pro line). I wouldnt have started fishing for Carp either on my first
time out. I would have picked an all but sure thing. BLUEGILL or Bream.
Standard rod and whatever reel, number six hook, two splitshots, a medium or
small bobber and fish right off the bank using a small pece of Nightcrawler.
Just about anywhere. I made sure the second time I took my daughter fishing
(The first time was catfishing and she caught a 5 lb cat) that I made sure
she would catch something. In all she caught 35 Bream. I had her standing in
the water, knee deep and casting out maybe 4-5 feet. She had a ball and we
kept most of them as we have a neighbor who likes to eat them (I dont
personally, too many bones). All bluegill are not small either. I have
caught Bluegill while Crappy fishing that were as large as some of the
decent size crappy I was catching. Another thing, for someone out for the
first time, your chances on catching anything with a lure is slim to none.
If you had nothing to do but cast all day and did not care about catching
anything, thats a good oppurtunity to work on lure presentation and
retrieval. Does the possibility exist you might catch something on a lure,
sure, but unlikely. It takes plenty of practice to learn how to cast,
present and retrieve a lure properly. Fish know the difference between
something that looks like food and something alien to their area. Although I
can say I have seen the most unusual catches from perfect beginners. Five
year old we took fishing, put on a purple rubber worm and casted it out,
handed him the rod. He stood there until he got bored and started walking
towards us dragging the worm in the water. I had to run over and grab the
rod because he was about to lose it to the 8 pound Largemouth that clamped
down on it. But thats not a typical result. A typical result for someone
fishing for the first time using a lure is to be skunked. Another thing you
might try is for catfish. I have been catfishing for my whole 35 years of
fishing (Plus a lot of other species but I like Catfish the best, next to
Shark and Swordfish but there arent Shark and Swordfish in Fresh Water
reservoirs), Use same rod, reel, bottom fish. Go to wal-Mart or your local
fishing store, get some Stink Bait, some Cheese Balls (Made for fishing,
dont waste your time trying to make your own) and pick up some spring
wrapped treble hooks (You will need them to hold the bait on). Bottom fish.
If there are Cats there, they will take it. Well, enough about fishing. Have
to go get my Van fixed, then tomorow, I shall fish.

Old July 26th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Vittorix

Jeff wrote:

how the corn should be threated for fishing carps?
I bought the corncobs today

1st, dont use Corn on the Cob, use Wal-Mart brand or some other
generic brand of who kernel corn. Just put it on the hook. Read here.

wonderful, that's very easy. I thought there should be a treatment of
the corn.
so, I can just buy a Green Giant (for example) destined to usual eating
for fishing?

http://www.njskylands.com/odfishcarp.htm

Or 2nd, use a Carp Hair Rig. In place of the orange thing you see
here, use corn.

what is the vantage of the external hook?
I know the carp usually sucks the bait, if she sucks the boile and you
pull your rod (how to say in English 'to pull the line with the rod
after the fish bites'?) you will leave the bait from its mouth, or not?

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 26th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Vittorix

Rodney wrote:

how the corn should be threated for fishing carps?
I bought the corncobs today

YOU ARE JOKING I'M SURE
You use nibblets corn, right out of the can, you just put a few
kernels on the hook

I'm not joking at all, and I've no idea of what nibblets corn is.
I'm helping myself with a dictionary, so be patient.

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 26th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Hello Arccos,

This is my first time on the fishing group.

Ronnie Garrison's column at "about.com" (http://fishing.about.com/) has
been VERY helpful to me, as a new fisherman.

Ronnie's newsletter is full of tips and great information to get you
started, and I recommend it highly.

If you set up a folder and save Ronnie's newsletters each time - they
make a great reference when you have a question... or just want to read
about fishing on a rainy day! ;-)

Good Luck!
zebco733

Old July 26th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Rodney

Vittorix wrote:
Rodney wrote:

how the corn should be threated for fishing carps?
I bought the corncobs today

YOU ARE JOKING I'M SURE
You use nibblets corn, right out of the can, you just put a few
kernels on the hook

I'm not joking at all, and I've no idea of what nibblets corn is.
I'm helping myself with a dictionary, so be patient.

cooked can corn , not the "creamed corn",

use whole kernel

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread
Old July 26th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Vittorix

Rodney wrote:

I'm not joking at all, and I've no idea of what nibblets corn is.

cooked can corn , not the "creamed corn",

thanks.
I was thinking about pasturizing. is it good to pasturize with the same
corn?

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 26th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Ronnie Garrison

Hello Arccos,

This is my first time on the fishing group.

Ronnie Garrison's column at "about.com" (
http://fishing.about.com/) has
been VERY helpful to me, as a new fisherman.

Ronnie's newsletter is full of tips and great information to get you
started, and I recommend it highly.

If you set up a folder and save Ronnie's newsletters each time - they
make a great reference when you have a question... or just want to read
about fishing on a rainy day! ;-)

Good Luck!
zebco733

Thank you for that nice compliment. Glad I have been able to help.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old July 27th, 2005, 02:45 AM
Cyli

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:22:39 -0500, "Vittorix"
wrote:

Rodney wrote:

I'm not joking at all, and I've no idea of what nibblets corn is.

cooked can corn , not the "creamed corn",

thanks.
I was thinking about pasturizing. is it good to pasturize with the same
corn?

Niblets may be the American word for kernels. The little bits that
you eat when you eat corn on the cob and are all gone when just the
bare cob is left.

If you're using it as bait, there's no need to pasteurize it.

For eating he commercial canned corn doesn't require any
pasteurization, as that occurs in the canning process. Just open,
cook to whatever temp you like, and eat the stuff.

For bait, the fish don't care if it has a germ or two, so you can even
use corn that's been opened for a day or two or leftovers from your
meal. Nothing else they eat has been pasteurized or purified.

If you have fresh (not dried) corn with the cob, you can just pop a
couple of kernels (niblets) off with your fingers and bait the hook.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Rodney

Cyli wrote:

Niblets may be the American word for kernels.

Actually it is a "brand name" for corn Around here

Old July 27th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Jeff

Actually I am thinking this is a joke. Why so many questions on CORN? Why
consider pasteurising corn for fishing? Kernels are the individual pieces of
corn, niblets are small kernels. Whats so hard about that? Can you use Corn
on the Cob? YES. Like I said, I think the guy is pulling everyones leg.