How fishes see the color?

Old July 28th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Dr Epstein

"RichZ" wrote in message
Dr Epstein wrote:

Does anyone besides me remeber a color-meter gadget that was sold about

20
years ago?
You rolled the cable down into the water and a gauge told you the best

color
lure to use.

Sure. And I also remember when Dick Sternberg of the old Hunting &
Fishing Library line up 7 of them next to each other and got 6 different
colors.

Ha! I knew that thing didn't work!

Old July 28th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Dr Epstein

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Dr Epstein" wrote in message

"Vittorix" wrote in message
I have the suspect that all these colors in the baits attract more the
fisherman that the fish
Is there a rigorous study about how different fishes see and react the
colors?

--
ciao
Vittorix

Does anyone besides me remeber a color-meter gadget that was sold about

20
years ago?
You rolled the cable down into the water and a gauge told you the best
color
lure to use.

Yup. The Color-C-Lector or something like that. They have a new digital
version available.

Wow...a digital version of something that didn't work when it was analog.
Or maybe it works now?

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Vittorix

David H. Lipman wrote:

good. so which are the colors they are more sensitive to?
isn't there a scale?

Red !

The colour of blood is seen by most fish and can invoke a reaction.

did you read studies about this or are your conclusions?

Besides the weight issue, the
transition between red, clear and green helps the leader material to
not be see by blending into the background.

which transition of the leader? sorry I didn't understand

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Jeff

Some of these answers should put the question to rest. The answer is YES
fish see color and respond to them.

http://www.pressrepublican.com/outdo...262002out1.htm

http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/lure.html

On the other hand...

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/faq/fishfaq1c.html

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Vittorix

Jeff wrote:
Some of these answers should put the question to rest. The answer is
YES fish see color and respond to them.

http://www.pressrepublican.com/outdo...262002out1.htm

http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/lure.html

On the other hand...

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/faq/fishfaq1c.html

very, very interesting! thanks

--
ciao
Vittorix

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Bob La Londe

newsq6Ge.1970$QX2.884@trndny01...

"Vittorix" wrote in message
[...]

What!?!?! You mean you aren't going to run right out and buy one?

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Bob La Londe

"Vittorix" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:
Some of these answers should put the question to rest. The answer is
YES fish see color and respond to them.

http://www.pressrepublican.com/outdo...262002out1.htm

http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/lure.html

On the other hand...

http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/faq/fishfaq1c.html

very, very interesting! thanks

Here is a freebie.
http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/lure.html
First result on a Yahoo search.

Nope I won't read it and summarize it for you. LOL.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:58 PM
David H. Lipman

From: "Vittorix"

| David H. Lipman wrote:

good. so which are the colors they are more sensitive to?
isn't there a scale?

Red !

The colour of blood is seen by most fish and can invoke a reaction.

| did you read studies about this or are your conclusions?

Besides the weight issue, the
transition between red, clear and green helps the leader material to
not be see by blending into the background.

| which transition of the leader? sorry I didn't understand
|
| --
| ciao
| Vittorix

I read it when I studied ichthyology.

In my mentioning of the leader, the transition is in the colouration of the leader as a
function of legth. A one foot section of leader will not be monochrome but will transit,
with variation in tone, from clear red to clear blue to clear green. A classic camouflage
technique.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Old July 28th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Bob La Londe

"Dr Epstein" wrote in message

"RichZ" wrote in message
Dr Epstein wrote:

Does anyone besides me remeber a color-meter gadget that was sold

about
20
years ago?
You rolled the cable down into the water and a gauge told you the best

color
lure to use.

Sure. And I also remember when Dick Sternberg of the old Hunting &
Fishing Library line up 7 of them next to each other and got 6 different
colors.

Ha! I knew that thing didn't work!

Not knowing the principal of how it determines which colors to use I'd have
to say the comparisons show a pretty bad discrepancy, but the idea may be
sound. Its pretty well known that some conditions seem to work better with
certain colors. Its also known that there are lots of exceptions.

I know there are devices that can pretty accurately determine a color. Like
a spectrophotometer used in a paint store to color match from an existing
color sample. I suppose some variety of that principle might be applied in
the field to determine which colors are most visible and recognizable from a
known color sample. i.e. Red looks black. Nope. White looks gray.
Nope. Blue looks blue. Maybe. Violet looks vividly violet. Yep.

Something along those lines.

I do have a problem with the idea that it can be done cost effectively with
the relatively low price and low production numbers we see with this
product. The spectrophotometer we had when I worked in the paint store was
thousands of dollars and weighed a lot more than I would want to have to
lift in and out of the storage compartment on my boat. LOL.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 28th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Bob La Londe

"Vittorix" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:

First result on a Yahoo search.

Blow La Blonde

And you told me not to be insulting.

ROFLMAO (even more) Oh, man it hurts to laugh this hard.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com