Bitten by Snakes or Snapping Turtles while Swimming?

Old September 2nd, 2006, 07:39 PM posted to sci.bio.herp,rec.pets.herp,rec.ponds,rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.folklore.urban
Calif Bill

Default Bitten by Snakes or Snapping Turtles while Swimming?

"Louise Bremner" wrote in message
news:1hl1xnh.1tm75gz1gu7i68N%trap_for_junk_mail@ya hoo.com...
Calif Bill wrote:

And you believe in selective editing?

Indeed.

Louise "different customs" Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

A reporter for the Washington Post?

Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:24 AM posted to sci.bio.herp,rec.pets.herp,rec.ponds,rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.folklore.urban
David Lesher

David Simpson writes:

How many people a year down there die to snakes, and crocks ?

Snakes? About one every few years in spite of the fact that we have
the deadliest species on the planet and the greatest number of
venomous species.

Crocs? Maybe one or two a year. Some people are stupid enough to swim,
or play, where the croc can get at them. Crocs are extremely fast on
land ... for a very short distance.

Don't forget the sharks...

I have no doubt there are many folks envious of you & your sharks...
[ H. Holt..]

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:56 AM posted to sci.bio.herp,rec.pets.herp,rec.ponds,rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.folklore.urban
David Simpson

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 02:24:20 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
typed furiously:

David Simpson writes:

How many people a year down there die to snakes, and crocks ?

Snakes? About one every few years in spite of the fact that we have
the deadliest species on the planet and the greatest number of
venomous species.

Crocs? Maybe one or two a year. Some people are stupid enough to swim,
or play, where the croc can get at them. Crocs are extremely fast on
land ... for a very short distance.

Don't forget the sharks...

I have no doubt there are many folks envious of you & your sharks...
[ H. Holt..]

No evidence has been found that a shark was responsible for the
disappearance of Harold Holt. The waters where he was swimming are
renowned for being unpredictable and it is quite possible that he was
simply pulled under by a current, drowned and lodged under a rock.

Of course I believe that all our politicians should go swimming at
that beach at least once during their political career. If only one
percent disappeared it would improve the quality considerably.
--
Regards
David Simpson
Old September 7th, 2006, 06:33 AM posted to sci.bio.herp,rec.pets.herp,rec.ponds,rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.folklore.urban
Jared

Stephen Henning wrote:
There are two in Australia also but they don't have a "Brown Snake" but
do have the Brown Tree Snake and the Slate-Brown Snake in addition to
those two snakes they have the Children's Python...

I hate to argue with someone who obviously know his way around snakes
and outbacks but...

...Olive Python...

That's almost brown.

...Speckled Brown Snake,
Peninsula Brown Snake, Ingram's Brown Snake, Ringed Brown Snake, Western
Brown Snake or Gwarder, Common or Eastern Brown Snake...

Aww, come on - there are loads.

Old September 10th, 2006, 07:40 AM posted to sci.bio.herp,rec.pets.herp,rec.ponds,rec.outdoors.fishing,alt.folklore.urban
[email protected]

Lon wrote:

I live in the greater San Jose Bay Area too, and every time someone even
spots a hunk of what might be cougar doo-doo, the local snooze stations
go berserk with reports of the incident and the spotting and "useful"
cautions and numbers to call and such. I haven't seen as many reports
from the eastern hills as from around such places as the Stanford campus
area, Los Altos Hills, and just down the street a coupla blocks.
Perhaps the western hill mountain lions are more visible than the ones
up behind the east bay?

Might be the topography. Sea, hills, I-280, towns, 101, Bay all running
parallel like stripes West to east. When the cats come out of the hills
they end up on the freeway (one killed soem months back, someone saw
another 2 mths ago). If they cross the 280 theyre in some town or
other. looks like cover but its someones yard.