OT-E: Leave it to the Brits.

Old October 9th, 2008, 03:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default OT-E: Leave it to the Brits.

A lucid and eloquent statement from the Guardian, concerning Sarah
Palin's performance at the VP debates:

At least three times last night, Sarah Palin, the adorable,
preposterous vice-presidential candidate, winked at the audience. Had
a male candidate with a similar reputation for attractive vapidity
made such a brazen attempt to flirt his way into the good graces of
the voting public, it would have universally noted, discussed and
mocked. Palin, however, has single-handedly so lowered the standards
both for female candidates and American political discourse that, with
her newfound ability to speak in more-or-less full sentences, she is
now deemed to have performed acceptably last night.

By any normal standard, including the ones applied to male
presidential candidates of either party, she did not. Early on, she
made the astonishing announcement that she had no intentions of
actually answering the queries put to her. "I may not answer the
questions that either the moderator or you want to hear, but I'm going
to talk straight to the American people and let them know my track
record also," she said.

And so she preceded, with an almost surreal disregard for the subjects
she was supposed to be discussing, to unleash fusillades of scripted
attack lines, platitudes, lies, gibberish and grating references to
her own pseudo-folksy authenticity.

It was an appalling display. The only reason it was not widely
described as such is that too many American pundits don't even try to
judge the truth, wisdom or reasonableness of the political rhetoric
they are paid to pronounce upon. Instead, they imagine themselves as
interpreters of a mythical mass of "average Americans" who they both
venerate and despise.

In pronouncing upon a debate, they don't try and determine whether a
candidate's responses correspond to existing reality, or whether he or
she is capable of talking about subjects such as the deregulation of
the financial markets or the devolution of the war in Afghanistan. The
criteria are far more vaporous. In this case, it was whether Palin
could avoid utterly humiliating herself for 90 minutes, and whether
urbane commentators would believe that she had connected to a public
that they see as ignorant and sentimental. For theAlaska governor,
mission accomplished.

There is indeed something mesmerising about Palin, with her manic
beaming and fulsome confidence in her own charm. The force of her
personality managed to slightly obscure the insulting emptiness of her
answers last night. It's worth reading the transcript of the
encounter, where it becomes clearer how bizarre much of what she said
was. Here, for example, is how she responded to Biden's comments about
how the middle class has been short-changed during the Bush
administration, and how McCain will continue Bush's policies:

Say it ain't so, Joe, there you go again pointing backwards again. You
preferenced [sic] your whole comment with the Bush administration. Now
doggone it, let's look ahead and tell Americans what we have to plan
to do for them in the future. You mentioned education, and I'm glad
you did. I know education you are passionate about with your wife
being a teacher for 30 years, and god bless her. Her reward is in
heaven, right? ... My brother, who I think is the best schoolteacher
in the year, and here's a shout-out to all those third graders at
Gladys Wood Elementary School, you get extra credit for watching the
debate.

Evidently, Palin's pre-debate handlers judged her incapable of
speaking on a fairly wide range of subjects, and so instructed to her
to simply disregard questions that did not invite memorised talking
points or cutesy filibustering. They probably told her to play up her
spunky average-ness, which she did to the point of shtick - and
dishonesty. Asked what her achilles heel is - a question she either
didn't understand or chose to ignore - she started in on how McCain
chose her because of her "connection to the heartland of America.
Being a mom, one very concerned about a son in the war, about a
special needs child, about kids heading off to college, how are we
going to pay those tuition bills?"

None of Palin's children, it should be noted, is heading off to
college. Her son is on the way to Iraq, and her pregnant 17-year-old
daughter is engaged to be married to a high-school dropout and self-
described "****in' redneck". Palin is a woman who can't even tell the
truth about the most quotidian and public details of her own life,
never mind about matters of major public import. In her only vice-
presidential debate, she was shallow, mendacious and phoney. What kind
of maverick, after all, keeps harping on what a maverick she is? That
her performance was considered anything but a farce doesn't show how
high Palin has risen, but how low we all have sunk.

Copyright Guardian Newspapers Limited 2008
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008 19:47:57 -0700 (PDT), riverman
wrote:

A lucid and eloquent statement from the Guardian,

If a hundred Michelle Goldbergs sat down at typewriters and bang on the
keys, sooner or later, Shakespeare might appear...well, actually, no, it
won't...but until she's caught, she'll probably find some outlet for the
idiotic loony leftist random **** that you find so lucid and eloquent...

HTH,
....please, remain a teacher...in the Congo or Kowloon or wherever the
heck is that you miseducate whoever you miseducate...
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

A lucid and eloquent statement from the Guardian,

If a hundred Michelle Goldbergs sat down at typewriters and bang on the
keys, sooner or later, Shakespeare might appear...well, actually, no, it
won't...but until she's caught, she'll probably find some outlet for the
idiotic loony leftist random **** that you find so lucid and eloquent...

HTH,
...please, remain a teacher...in the Congo or Kowloon or wherever the
heck is that you miseducate whoever you miseducate...

Letīs all hope that you keep selling pickles, it would appear that you
are at least capable of persuading people to eat poisonous nasty ****
out of jars, although presumably you merely wax fat on the proceeds,
doubtless daddy did all the actual work.

Having watched all the debates several times, along with a few other
people whose opinions I respect and listen to, the burning question
for many is, "If those are the best you have, what on earth are the
rest like?".

Barack Obama would seem to be the only half way reasonable choice in
this silly competition. But you and others like you spend your time
trying to undermine and destroy him, and others, before they have
even taken the helm.

Your ideas of politics and politicians are naive in the extreme, and
your stupid ranting on various matters is barely coherent.
Nevertheless, you keep chanting your foolish litanies, with no regard
for reality or those you are presumably trying to convince.

More and more people are beginning to dislike and mistrust Americans.
Many of you, ( and most especially several on this group), are brash,
arrogant, ignorant, and habitual liars. You apparently imagine you
have a God given right to do anything you see fit, quite regardless of
scruples or morals, to get your own way, or force your opinions, and
outlandish and invariably stupid ideas on others.

This will eventually cost you dearly. Indeed it is already doing so.
Perhaps you will learn something from it before you drag too many
others down with you. That is unfortunately not likely.

For a good example of what happens as a result of such behaviour, you
need look no further than this group. Stupid people trying to impose
their will on others by any means they can find.

You are a really nasty stupid **** of the worst possible type. You
have likely never worked a day in your life, you continually offer
proof of your unenviable status as a waste of an expensive education.
But far worse than this you piece of totally unworthy ****ing ****,
you impugn and denigrate an honest, sensible, and very honourable man,
his profession and his lights.

You disgust me.
Old October 9th, 2008, 05:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:47:18 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

riverman wrote:
A lucid and eloquent statement from the Guardian, ...

If a hundred Michelle Goldbergs sat down at typewriters and bang on the
keys, sooner or later, Shakespeare might appear...

LOL !! Are you expressing your desperation or your frustration ?

That article is so spot on it's amazing it came from across the pond.

It didn't. It came from a loony leftist from Berkeley-via-New York,
spouting partisan crap on the Guardian's lame version of Huffington Post
(or whatever lame blog Rush Limpdickers use, if you prefer).

Face it Rick, Palin is a category 5 moron from the snake handling
wing of the GOP and the only people on earth who refuse to recognize
that her candidacy is a preposterous farce are either rabid, cynical
partisans or morons themselves.

No, she isn't a moron, and no, her candidacy is no more of a farce than
Obama's. There is no question that she is inexperienced and based on
her slim record, the bet would be she isn't ready to be POTUS, but
neither is Obama when put under the same lens. Hell, there are many
things with which she and I completely disagree, but I don't think she
is "a moron" because of it. The fact that you (or some idiot like
Goldberg) don't like her politics or beliefs does not make her a moron,
either, but the naked bias and partisanship you display does make you
look like one. And it's that type of hysterical, unfounded
partisanship, compounded by the overabundance of "information," that has
badly damaged the US political system.

HTH,
....and plus, she's hot...in a MILF-y, Tina Fey kinda way...
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

A lucid and eloquent statement from the Guardian,

If a hundred Michelle Goldbergs sat down at typewriters and bang on the
keys, sooner or later, Shakespeare might appear...well, actually, no, it
won't...but until she's caught, she'll probably find some outlet for the
idiotic loony leftist random **** that you find so lucid and eloquent...

HTH,
...please, remain a teacher...in the Congo or Kowloon or wherever the
heck is that you miseducate whoever you miseducate...

Letīs all hope that you keep selling pickles, it would appear that you
are at least capable of persuading people to eat poisonous nasty ****
out of jars, although presumably you merely wax fat on the proceeds,
doubtless daddy did all the actual work.

Bull****. Daddy barely sold pickle one. Of course, it's hard to fault
him too much, what with running the sausage-selling operation and all.
And boy-howdy, could that man sell sausage! He was a joy to behold, let
me tell you! He once sold 600 tons of nothing but ham and seasoning
stuffed in hog casing to the New York Bar Mitzvah Catering
Company...hell, the salt wasn't even kosher! And they said they didn't
care because it was the best stuff they had ever eaten. Two Rabbis even
wanted to make him an honorary mohel...they said anyone who could snip
links like nobody's business while selling sausage must have had a
God-given talent...

[...]

Hell, son, I'm making it hand over fist - times may be tough, but people
the world over gotta have their pickles!

Perhaps you will learn something from it before you drag too many
others down with you. That is unfortunately not likely.

For a good example of what happens as a result of such behaviour, you
need look no further than this group. Stupid people trying to impose
their will on others by any means they can find.

You are a really nasty stupid **** of the worst possible type. You
have likely never worked a day in your life,

Damnable lies! I am at the pickleworks every morning by 6am, rain or
shine, and I'll have you know I personally load every barrel, by myself
and by hand, into the curing room. Oh, sure, for a fabulously wealthy,
expensively-educated glamourous jet-setter like myself, it might seem a
bit menial, but I want to make sure we ship no pickle before its time...

you continually offer
proof of your unenviable status as a waste of an expensive education.
But far worse than this you piece of totally unworthy ****ing ****,
you impugn and denigrate an honest, sensible, and very honourable man,
his profession and his lights.

"Hello, FBI, how may direct your call?"

"I want to report an impugning denigrator, you stupid ****ing ****!"

"Pardon me?"

"Connect me to the head of denigration, you piece of ****!"

"Hold please..."

"Agent Vlasic, how may I help you?"

"Look, you stupid ****ing American, there's a denigrator in your midst!"

"Excuse me?"

"My boyfriend and I watched the debates and..."

"HEY! I know who you are...you're the loony dude from the fishing group
who calls every few days...man, I gotta tell ya, that boyfriend of yours
is one homely dude...but the good news is that we use the pictures in
our, er, enhanced interrogations and thus far, it's more effective than
waterboarding..."

"**** YOU CHOC! JUST **** YOU! I FLEW F-86.5 SABER TIGGERS OVER THE
YANGWANG WITH MY BEST FRIENDS BRIAN KEITH AND ROBERT E. LEE! I AM A
LEGEND!"

click....

You disgust me.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, you're gonna report me to the AFTMA and the
Army Air Corps...

SNICKER,
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Oct 8, 10:34*pm, wrote:

TIME OUT

OK I would like to be the first to nominate Dean's last post for
inclusion when the "ROFF's 100 Best Posts" retrospective volume comes
out. The category would be "Actually Funny, Rabid Right-wingnut"
posts of Exceptional Quality, by a modern massah..

RESUME NASTINESS
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately for you you nasty dumb mother****er, all you have is
nonsense and lies. You merely appear to be too stupid to realise it.
You also seem to be too stupid to realise that others realise it
perfectly well. If it was not somehow of some importance to you,
( although I must confess that the motivations of dumb unprincipled
mother****ers are a sealed book to me) you would not even be posting
all this ****e in the first place.

The result of this is quite inevitable, and there is no way for you to
do anything at all about it. Even changing your disgusting and stupid
behaviour at this late date would be most unlikely to affect what
others think of you.
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

wrote:

A lucid and eloquent statement from the Guardian,

If a hundred Michelle Goldbergs sat down at typewriters and bang on the
keys, sooner or later, Shakespeare might appear...well, actually, no, it
won't...but until she's caught, she'll probably find some outlet for the
idiotic loony leftist random **** that you find so lucid and eloquent...

HTH,
...please, remain a teacher...in the Congo or Kowloon or wherever the
heck is that you miseducate whoever you miseducate...

LOL. That sure was a deterioration into rabid name-calling, even for
you. All I did was post an album....uh...a newspaper article.

;-)
--riverman