anchor question...>>>

Old June 7th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Marty S.

Default anchor question...>>>

Question... for a small jon boat on a reservoir (I'm in Maryland, and I
fish on Liberty Reservoir, for those of you familiar with this area), what
type of anchor would be best? I presently have a small "mushroom" anchor (8
lbs, I think) but it doesn't hold the boat in place -- I tend to drift. Any
suggestions? I think the bottom is mostly mud but I'm not exactly sure.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

Old June 7th, 2004, 01:03 AM
John H

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 19:55:08 -0400, "Marty S." wrote:

Question... for a small jon boat on a reservoir (I'm in Maryland, and I
fish on Liberty Reservoir, for those of you familiar with this area), what
type of anchor would be best? I presently have a small "mushroom" anchor (8
lbs, I think) but it doesn't hold the boat in place -- I tend to drift. Any
suggestions? I think the bottom is mostly mud but I'm not exactly sure.

A small Danforth would probably work well. I use a small one for beach
anchoring. It will dig in when the boat starts to drift.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Old June 7th, 2004, 02:00 AM
Rodney

Marty S. wrote:
Question... for a small jon boat on a reservoir (I'm in Maryland, and I
fish on Liberty Reservoir, for those of you familiar with this area), what
type of anchor would be best? I presently have a small "mushroom" anchor (8
lbs, I think) but it doesn't hold the boat in place -- I tend to drift. Any
suggestions? I think the bottom is mostly mud but I'm not exactly sure.

Before trying another anchor,, try an anchor chain two to three feet
long, this will help that mushroom fall over and dig in.

Mushroom anchors are notorious about standing straight up, unless you
let out a lot of anchor line, drifting away from it, then giving it a
quick pull to flip it over on it's side

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread

Old June 7th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Marty S." wrote in message
Question... for a small jon boat on a reservoir (I'm in Maryland, and I
fish on Liberty Reservoir, for those of you familiar with this area), what
type of anchor would be best? I presently have a small "mushroom" anchor

(8
lbs, I think) but it doesn't hold the boat in place -- I tend to drift.

Any
suggestions? I think the bottom is mostly mud but I'm not exactly sure.

Marty,

If you're having a problem with the mushroom anchor, try something like a
River Anchor. A 12 or 15 pound model with 3 feet of chain will hold your
boat very well.

A model like this will suffice.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...arget=bro wse
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 7th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Marty S.

Steve.... you recommend this type (the river anchor) over the grapneling
hook or the "Navy" style?

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old June 7th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Marty S." wrote in message
Steve.... you recommend this type (the river anchor) over the grapneling
hook or the "Navy" style?

You've got what? A 12-14 (maybe 16 foot) aluminum boat??? Unless you're
fishing in some serious current and/or wind, a 12-15 pound River anchor will
give all the hold you're going to need. I was using this same style of
anchor (the 15 pound model) to hold a 17 foot glass boat and it worked well
in all but the hardest wind.

The thing to remember is to get the anchor tipped on it's side and to let
out enough anchor rope. There's more to anchoring a boat than dropping the
thing over the side and expecting it to hold. Figure to let out at least
twice the water depth in anchor rope in order to get it to hold properly.
This will get the anchor on it's side and the flukes dug into the bottom.

Make sure you've got enough quality rope, I use 75 or 100 feet (can't
remember which exactly) and it's good rope, not hemp and not braided nylon
ski rope. This is a 1/2" or 5/8" static kernmantle type rope, easy on the
hands and no stretch.

I don't like the Danforth style anchor because they can REALLY dig in and be
difficult to remove. And, in rocky bottoms, chances are, it'll stay there.
I went through three of them before I went to the River Anchor. Now, I
carry one of those (20 pound model) and a Richter Anchor
http://www.richteranchors.com/ and my boat doesn't move. The Richter is
great, but not readily available, where you should be able to get a River
Anchor at Wal-Mart.

Old June 7th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Bob

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this link!!!
I saw this anchor in SOMETHING in print several years ago, catalogue or
magazine article, and promptly lost it, and could not remember the name. My
dad has an OMC/Grumman 16' aluminum that gives us both fits sometimes
getting it to hold at anchor in the wind, and when I saw the picture of this
anchor I knew that it would probably be the answer that we were looking for.

Hmm....
Gonna go and be sneaky on him. Order one and get it put on his boat while he
is out of town for the next two weeks. Hehe :-)

Thanx again
Cast far
Bob

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...
snip

Old June 8th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Bob" wrote in message news:220xc.54657$3x.53596@attbi_s54...
Thank you, thank you, thank you for this link!!!
I saw this anchor in SOMETHING in print several years ago, catalogue or
magazine article, and promptly lost it, and could not remember the name. My
dad has an OMC/Grumman 16' aluminum that gives us both fits sometimes
getting it to hold at anchor in the wind, and when I saw the picture of this
anchor I knew that it would probably be the answer that we were looking for.

Hmm....
Gonna go and be sneaky on him. Order one and get it put on his boat while he
is out of town for the next two weeks. Hehe :-)

LOL, you are a devious rascal. Can you talk to my kids about sneaking fishing stuff into my boat?

Glad you could use the link.

Old June 8th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Wayne.B

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 15:42:54 GMT, "Bob" wrote:
My
dad has an OMC/Grumman 16' aluminum that gives us both fits sometimes
getting it to hold at anchor in the wind, and when I saw the picture of this
anchor I knew that it would probably be the answer that we were looking for.

The key to getting ANY anchor to hold is sufficient scope (ratio of
anchor line to water depth). 7 to 1 is considered ideal, 5 to 1 will
usually suffice. Also use a 3 or 4 foot length of chain as others
have mentioned. The implication is that if you are anchoring in 30
feet of water, you need between 150 and 200 feet of line. Many small
fishing boats do not carry that much. I've found that a mid-sized
canvas tote bag will hold 200 feet of 3/8 line, and the anchor. Just
lay the line into the bag, do not coil, and it will pay out with no
snarling or kinking.