anchor question...>>>

Old June 8th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Bob

Default anchor question...>>>

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

The key to getting ANY anchor to hold is sufficient scope (ratio of
anchor line to water depth). 7 to 1 is considered ideal, 5 to 1 will
usually suffice. Also use a 3 or 4 foot length of chain as others
have mentioned. The implication is that if you are anchoring in 30
feet of water, you need between 150 and 200 feet of line. Many small
fishing boats do not carry that much. I've found that a mid-sized
canvas tote bag will hold 200 feet of 3/8 line, and the anchor. Just
lay the line into the bag, do not coil, and it will pay out with no
snarling or kinking.

The real problem is trying to get dear old dad to think like this. He is
rather set in his ways, but this is to be expected as he is now 70! He keeps
thinking about anchoring to fish a spot the same way he used to do it with a
little 14' aluminum row boat. And rather than argue with him, I just want to
get him an anchor that may work better with his 16' and the way that he
wants to use it.

Cast far
Bob

Old June 8th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Bob

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message

Hmm....
Gonna go and be sneaky on him. Order one and get it put on his boat

while he
is out of town for the next two weeks. Hehe :-)

LOL, you are a devious rascal. Can you talk to my kids about sneaking

fishing stuff into my boat?

Glad you could use the link.
--

Right, sure thing. Once I learn how to do it. Can't get me own
flesh-'n-blood to sneak stuff in for me, and I have been working on him for

Bob

Old June 9th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Jerry

Wayne.B wrote:

The key to getting ANY anchor to hold is sufficient scope (ratio of
anchor line to water depth). 7 to 1 is considered ideal, 5 to 1 will
usually suffice. Also use a 3 or 4 foot length of chain as others
have mentioned.

Took me a long time to realize what you are saying. Most people don't
realize the amount of rope required to hold a boat properly regardless
of anchor type.

I've found that a mid-sized
canvas tote bag will hold 200 feet of 3/8 line, and the anchor. Just
lay the line into the bag, do not coil, and it will pay out with no
snarling or kinking.

I'll have to give this a try. Nothing drives me crazy as fast as a
knotted up rope when trying to get a anchor out before drifting away
from the spot you want to be at. Right now I'm using polly rope with
fair success.

Jerry

Old June 10th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Sarge

Someone wrote: "Nothing drives me crazy as fast as a knotted up rope when
trying to get a anchor out before drifting away
from the spot you want to be at."

I use to complain about the same thing. I now carry 200 feet of anchor rope
in my 19-foot bay boat since I fish areas with strong tides and large boat
traffic and the depth is up to 40 feet deep in some areas.. I store my
anchor rope on outdoor extension cord holders designed to hold 100 feet of
outdoor extension cord. They store very easy in a small storage bin on my
boat. I keep one hooked to the anchor and if I need more then 100 feet of
anchor line, I hook the two lengths together with a shackle. Both anchor
lines have spliced eyes on both ends. I attach a 5 foot chain to the anchor
and join the chain to the rope with a shackle.

Sarge

Old June 11th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Ookie Wonderslug

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 20:14:12 -0500, "Sarge"
wrote:

Someone wrote: "Nothing drives me crazy as fast as a knotted up rope when
trying to get a anchor out before drifting away
from the spot you want to be at."

I use to complain about the same thing. I now carry 200 feet of anchor rope
in my 19-foot bay boat since I fish areas with strong tides and large boat
traffic and the depth is up to 40 feet deep in some areas.. I store my
anchor rope on outdoor extension cord holders designed to hold 100 feet of
outdoor extension cord. They store very easy in a small storage bin on my
boat. I keep one hooked to the anchor and if I need more then 100 feet of
anchor line, I hook the two lengths together with a shackle. Both anchor
lines have spliced eyes on both ends. I attach a 5 foot chain to the anchor
and join the chain to the rope with a shackle.

Sarge

So I ain't the only one with an extension cord reel holding my anchor
rode. Cool.
Old June 12th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Sierra fisher

Default attaching chain

Stupid question: Do you attach the rope to the chain and the chain to the
anchor OR attach both the rope and chain to the anchor, ie, chain is not
attached to rope?

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

"Marty S." wrote in message
Question... for a small jon boat on a reservoir (I'm in Maryland, and

fish on Liberty Reservoir, for those of you familiar with this area),

what
type of anchor would be best? I presently have a small "mushroom"

anchor
(8
lbs, I think) but it doesn't hold the boat in place -- I tend to drift.

Any
suggestions? I think the bottom is mostly mud but I'm not exactly sure.

Marty,

If you're having a problem with the mushroom anchor, try something like a
River Anchor. A 12 or 15 pound model with 3 feet of chain will hold your
boat very well.

A model like this will suffice.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...arget=bro wse
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 12th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message
Stupid question: Do you attach the rope to the chain and the chain to the
anchor OR attach both the rope and chain to the anchor, ie, chain is not
attached to rope?

Not a stupid question at all. Attach the chain to the anchor, the rope to
the chain. Bingo, now you're in business.

Old June 12th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Peggie Hall

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:
"Sierra fisher" wrote in message

Stupid question: Do you attach the rope to the chain and the chain to the
anchor OR attach both the rope and chain to the anchor, ie, chain is not
attached to rope?

Not a stupid question at all. Attach the chain to the anchor, the rope to
the chain. Bingo, now you're in business.

The other question is HOW to attach the rope to the chain and the chain
to the anchor...just tying it on is not the recommended method.

Splice a thimble into end of the rope (or, if you don't know how and
don't want to learn how, you can buy anchor line with a thimble already
spliced into one end)...use shackles to attach the chain to the rope
and to the anchor.

--
Peggie
----------

Old June 12th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Wayne.B

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:42:27 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:
use shackles to attach the chain to the rope
and to the anchor.

AND, (Very Important) - Safety wire the shackle pins, or use a small
nylon wire tie to accomplish the same thing. It's absolutely amazing
how fast wave action can back out a shackle pin if its not secured in
some way.

Don't ask me how I know this...