Asda "English River Trout"

Old October 11th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Nogood Boyo

Default Asda "English River Trout"

What do you think of Asda selling farmed rainbows as "English River
Trout"..? (The small print confirms that they are farmed in the UK.)

How can a Pacific salmon species, which reproduces naturally in the UK
only in the Derbyshire Wye (so they used to say) and which in this case
has been produced artificially in a fish farm and will therefore never
have seen a river, be described as an "English River Trout"..?

If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.

--
Nogood Boyo
Old October 11th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Alex

Interesting. I haven't seen them, but I would have thought its actionable
under the trade descriptions act 1968, the control of misleading
advertisement regulations 1988 ( amended 2000 ) and the ASA to name but a
few, as I am sure Rainbows are not indigenous to anywhere in the British
Isles, therefore its a lie.
Nice to see someone posting in this NG tho ! :-)

Nig, Scotland

Old October 11th, 2003, 10:02 PM
roddytoo

"Nogood Boyo" wrote in message

What do you think of Asda selling farmed rainbows as "English River
Trout"..? (The small print confirms that they are farmed in the UK.)

How can a Pacific salmon species, which reproduces naturally in the UK
only in the Derbyshire Wye (so they used to say) and which in this case
has been produced artificially in a fish farm and will therefore never
have seen a river, be described as an "English River Trout"..?

If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.

--
Nogood Boyo

Some farms have a through flow of river water, would this qualify the fish
as river trout?

Old October 11th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Nogood Boyo

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 at 22:02:24 in uk.rec.fishing.game roddytoo wrote:
Some farms have a through flow of river water, would this qualify the
fish as river trout?

Would that make it a "river trout" as far as you are concerned..? I
doubt it...

--
Nogood Boyo
Old October 12th, 2003, 08:22 AM
roddytoo

"Nogood Boyo" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 at 22:02:24 in uk.rec.fishing.game roddytoo wrote:
Some farms have a through flow of river water, would this qualify the
fish as river trout?

Would that make it a "river trout" as far as you are concerned..? I
doubt it...

--
Nogood Boyo

No, but legally, as it has been reared in river water......some bast ooops,
barrister could make a lot of money on this case.

Old October 15th, 2003, 09:35 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , Nogood Boyo
writes
If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.

Very observant and well done Phil. Surely Trade Descriptions Act comes
into play!

ASDA advertise as being the company that knocks back prices . Bread had
just gone up in price by 8%. Lying B******S.

That's about 6.3 % above the current rate of inflation.

Though to be fair I think the price of Wedding Cake has come down quite
a bit :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:38 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , roddytoo
writes
Some farms have a through flow of river water, would this qualify the fish
as river trout?

A very big "NO"

Once the water has been extracted from a river it ceases to be a river.

A local fishery had to pay extraction fees for having a brook run in one
end of his lake and then leaving at the other end. When it was in the
lake it was no longer a river.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old October 15th, 2003, 09:42 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , roddytoo
writes
No, but legally, as it has been reared in river water......some bast ooops,
barrister could make a lot of money on this case.

It would make much more honest advertising if ASDA just said what the
Rainbows really are - British bred Rainbow Trout. Judging by some
rivers, their advert might well put me off!
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old October 15th, 2003, 10:31 PM
roddytoo

"W. D. Grey" wrote in message
In article , Nogood Boyo
writes
If you agree with me that this is outrageous, would you like to check
whether they're on sale in your local store and complain as I have? No
response at all from Asda. Trading Standards are pursuing it.

Very observant and well done Phil. Surely Trade Descriptions Act comes
into play!

ASDA advertise as being the company that knocks back prices . Bread had
just gone up in price by 8%. Lying B******S.

That's about 6.3 % above the current rate of inflation.

Though to be fair I think the price of Wedding Cake has come down quite
a bit :-)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Hmm, not much demand for wedding cake these days.

Old October 16th, 2003, 09:20 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , roddytoo
writes
Hmm, not much demand for wedding cake these days.

Quite !
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk