Cuba Buget Fishing

Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:27 PM

Default Cuba Buget Fishing

Hi,

I might be heading to Cuba for 2 weeks in September and want to know
about possible fly fishing opportunities in Cuba. I've fishign Los
Roques, Venezuela 3 times as well as the Yucatan in Mexico so I know
how to go after Bonefish etc.
What I'd like to know is if there is much opportunity to target these
speices without a guide. Or if I did have to take a guide where would
be the best place to go to get value for money?

Basically I like roughing it and doing things on the cheap so am hoping
to continue this in Cuba.
Any tips, pointers, advice would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Mudders

Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
Wayne Knight

Hi,

I might be heading to Cuba for 2 weeks in September and want to know
about possible fly fishing opportunities in Cuba. I've fishign Los
Roques, Venezuela 3 times as well as the Yucatan in Mexico so I know
how to go after Bonefish etc.
What I'd like to know is if there is much opportunity to target these
speices without a guide. Or if I did have to take a guide where would
be the best place to go to get value for money?

Basically I like roughing it and doing things on the cheap so am hoping
to continue this in Cuba.
Any tips, pointers, advice would be most appreciated.

Five years ago, I got a permission to visit Cuba for a couple of days.
I was not able to avail myself of the opportunity to fish sal****er but
went specifically to target the fresh water lakes and pond of the
island between Guantamo and Havana. I say screw the bonefish, those
lakes held some pretty hefty largemouth bass and bream which get very
little fishing pressure and will devour a fly. We had no problem in
those two days finding locals with boats to take us out on the water.
My impression was the populance in the areas we went were fairly cash
starved and most everything was done on the cheap in terms of outflow
but value received was pretty darn good. This was pre- 911 and GWB but
coming back tho Customs was pretty easy, they even let me keep a few
cigars g. If they ever lift that embargo, the BASSmasters are going
to have some fun.

Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:06 PM
asadi

You have to exchange your money now. Dollars are no longer accepted, so in
the process of changing you will encounter a surcharge.

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:54 PM
Jeff Miller

rw wrote:

Willi and I met a pair of English twin brothers (Yorkshiremen) in Belize
who'd just come from Cayo Largo. They were identically rotund, and one
was volulable and the other taciturn, so I (privately) named them
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

Over a dinner of mutton snapper, caught by Willi that day, Tweedle Dee
said the bonefishing was outstanding but the food sucked. One thing they
liked about Cayo Largo was that it wasn't overrun by Americans. :-)

"volulable"?? my dictionary is too heavy to trouble with in my current
state. is that a typo or did you have a petit mal while typing
"voluble"? being taciturn my own self, i know that one.

greg, the owner and operator of the best campground near morganton, nc,
tells of his many years fishing around cuba and of time he spent there.
he has a picture of himself with fidel. he's single. he describes the
fishin as excellent...on land and sea.

jeff
Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:20 PM
rw

Jeff Miller wrote:
rw wrote:

"volulable"?? my dictionary is too heavy to trouble with in my current
state. is that a typo or did you have a petit mal while typing
"voluble"? being taciturn my own self, i know that one.

I'm a poor speller. Always have been.

I think it sucks that our US government won't let us travel to Cuba.
Where the hell do they get off telling me where I can and can't go?

Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:35 PM
jackk

There was a pretty good discussion about this on www.danblanton.com a few
months ago. According to this discussion, there are few flats that you can
get to on your own, and if you charter someone with a boat along the beach,
you have little chance of being taken to good fishing places. According to
thee people there is little knowledge of bone fishing except on the two
live-aboard boats that make a business at it.

oups.com...

Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:46 PM
asadi

rw wrote:

I think it sucks that our US government won't let us travel to Cuba.
Where the hell do they get off telling me where I can and can't go?

The season pretty much begins this fall. there are various sites our of
Texas that will take you to Cuba. Pro guides.

But if you wanna go, I'm game. I'll meet you in Mexico City we'll hop a
plan and see what the dogs drag home.

john

Old July 24th, 2005, 03:46 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"rw" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

One thing they liked about Cayo Largo was that it wasn't overrun by
Americans. :-)

I've heard, they have that dream in Iraq.

Mark

Old July 24th, 2005, 04:08 AM
Wayne Harrison

"rw" wrote

I think it sucks that our US government won't let us travel to Cuba. Where
the hell do they get off telling me where I can and can't go?

your government cares for you deeply, and doesn't want to see you spend
the rest of your life slaving away in a sugar cane field near gitmo.

right.

yfitons
wayno