Kilmore bass....

Old September 30th, 2003, 08:04 PM
Clive Gammon

Default Kilmore bass....

Indebted to "Kilmore' who reported a while back on the bass being caught
from John Devereux's Celtic Lady out of Kilmore Quay .

I was over in Co Wexford last week for a few days' surfcasting with
Terry Thomas but every beach from Cullenstown to St Helens was full of
weed - hopeless, couldn't fish. But I happened to spot John at the
quayside and remembered Kilmore's post. Of course he was fully booked
with weekend anglers who wanted pollack etc. Nevertheless - he's a great
guy - he said he'd pick us up Saturday evening after his daytime punters
had disembarked , turn straight round and take us out for a couple of
hours on the bass before dark .

Fascinating fishing! It took us longer than we thought it would to
catch bait - joey mackerel 'cos we couldn't find sandeels, which John
prefers - so we only had time for a few drifts that yielded me just
one bass, a very silvery, plump 3-pounder, No lead needed, just
free-lining on the drift in a fast rip over rock, so, on a spinning rod,
it was lively stuff. And , hey, there's one heck of a difference between
a 3-pounder and no fish!

Probably not much of the season left for this year but 2004? Can't
wait. (John is on 00 353 53 29637 by the way, and he's a
conservationist and a real bass enthusiast)

Clive G

Old October 7th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Kilmore

"Clive Gammon" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Clive for the acknowledgement, lets know when you are coming in 2004
and we'll make sure you increase your fun a little bit. B.T.W. John is also
Cox of the lifeboat and last year was distinguished guest of Her Majesty at
Buckingham Palace for a mug of tea for being one of the longest serving
lifeboat member in Ireland!! I bought one of those Redfinn 6000's from
McKiernan and you are more than welcome on board.

Tom.