how can i catch carp?

Old August 10th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Steve Walker

In message , Richard
writes

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message
In article , Richard
wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

Oh, it was, the key question is whether it was a fashionable brand of
sweetcorn )

Yes it was ....... but then all sweetcorn was (and still is) fashionable
...... isn't it?

Only if it has a stylised logo of a carp on the side of the sweetcorn
system
all-weather, ruggedised valise.

Imo ....... you must have some strange old carp anglers in your neck of the
woods .... none like that in my part of the country.

Derek & I are just having a little joke about the (many) anglers who are
taken in by the fashion and marketing in carp fishing. It happens in all
branches of fishing, the must-have accessory, the secret 'killer' bait,
and so on, but carp angling seems to be particularly afflicted. I wonder
sometimes whether the intention is to impress the fish or the angler's
peers. There seems to be a lack of imagination; the bolt rig, the hair
rig, boiled baits, all were invented to solve specific problems, yet
many anglers seem to think that the be-all and end-all of carp fishing
is sitting behind three bite-alarmed rods fishing hair-rigged boilies on
bolt rigs.

Not my place to judge, mind, I'd rather fish for tench any day.

--
Steve Walker
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:20 PM
fishin' kid fishin' kid is offline
Junior Member

Smile

I don't have any expensive things. not for carp fishing any-way because i don't think that fishing should be so expensive.
The most expensive bait i buy is a tub of maggots and i have good fun catching all sorts of fish on that.
I did make some of my own boilies though, they turned out to be better than what the tackle shop owner said they would (he didn't think i could do it) I just haven't got round to trying them yet.
__________________
keep catchin'
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Richard

wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

Oh, it was, the key question is whether it was a fashionable brand of
sweetcorn )

Yes it was ....... but then all sweetcorn was (and still is)
fashionable
...... isn't it?

Only if it has a stylised logo of a carp on the side of the sweetcorn
system
all-weather, ruggedised valise.

Imo ....... you must have some strange old carp anglers in your neck of
the
woods .... none like that in my part of the country.

Derek & I are just having a little joke about the (many) anglers who are
taken in by the fashion and marketing in carp fishing. It happens in all
branches of fishing, the must-have accessory, the secret 'killer' bait,
and so on, but carp angling seems to be particularly afflicted.

Well that is obviously a view .......... a bit narrow minded but _a_ view
anyway.

I wonder sometimes whether the intention is to impress the fish or the
angler's peers.

Neither would seem a very fruitful/productive approach _but_ again it isn't
something I have noticed locally except by a very small minority ........
say at a club carp match 1 or 2 from about 30. So Ime not something I wonder
about as being particularly found amongst carp anglers.

There seems to be a lack of imagination; the bolt rig, the hair
rig, boiled baits, all were invented to solve specific problems, yet many
anglers seem to think that the be-all and end-all of carp fishing is
sitting behind three bite-alarmed rods fishing hair-rigged boilies on bolt
rigs.

Ime, there is little argument that in certain circumstances the bolt rig,
the hair, boiled baits and bite alarms can be very effective _but_ again I
see little evidence of this being the be-all and end-all approach. Sure
bite-alarms are normally used by carp anglers but that proves nought else.
Indeed all you have mentioned is but a very small part of the options
available to carp anglers....... bit-alarms or not.

Not my place to judge, mind, I'd rather fish for tench any day.

But judging is exactly what you are doing.

Nought wrong with tench and if that is your preference go ahead ........ if
others wish to fish for carp you should let them go ahead (with their
preferred method) without letting it seem to 'get under your skin'.

Myself I fish predominantly for carp, tench, chub and barble and for many
decades have been a 'specimen hunter' for these particular species. BTW ....
Ime of the foregoing in canals, rivers weirs and lakes I have found the_many
different_ approaches used predominantly in carp fishing to be very
effective (including specimen tench ;o)).

Just live and let live ............. you will not find me bemoaning for
example your preference or match fishermen. If that is what you/they want to
do then fine it is just another section of a great sport.
..

Richard (& member of the Suffolk Carp Crew)

Old August 10th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Richard
wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In message , Richard
writes

and so on, but carp angling seems to be particularly afflicted.

Well that is obviously a view .......... a bit narrow minded but _a_ view
anyway.

In general: The tackle trade make their money from the anglers who don't
catch many...

The (completely unfounded but I'd be astonished if it were not true, it
might even be an understatement) statistic that needs to restated regularly:
90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers and that 10% buy less
than 5% of the tackle.

I wonder sometimes whether the intention is to impress the fish or the
angler's peers.

Ime, there is little argument that in certain circumstances the bolt rig,
the hair, boiled baits and bite alarms can be very effective _but_ again I

Of course. They were desiged by skillful, resourceful anglers to address
specific problems. Where those problems apply they *are* very effective.
Most anglers might encounter such conditions once or twice a year at most.
In general, when that happens it's more productive to move elsewhere, fish
for something else, or fish at another time.

Just live and let live

That's sound advice.

Cheerio,

Old August 10th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , fishin' kid
.com wrote:

I don't have any expensive things. not for carp fishing any-way because
i don't think that fishing should be so expensive.

It isn't - unless you want it that way.

The most expensive bait i buy is a tub of maggots and i have good fun
catching all sorts of fish on that.
I did make some of my own boilies though, they turned out to be better
than what the tackle shop owner said they would (he didn't think i
could do it) I just haven't got round to trying them yet.

I resisted using boilies for a long time then someone more or less forced a
packet of bright orange things on me and challenged me to use them. OK, I
did. There were about half a dozen other anglers on the bank all using
boilies or particles and none were catching (bright and sunny but after a
cold night). I tried the boilies as per instructions for a couple of hours
but I see no point in doing the same as everyone else when none of them are
catching so I rang the changes. When Louis came back I'd had four smallish
carp and four rudd. The Carp were all taken on bread in the shallow margins
under rhodedendron bushes and the rudd on shaved slivers of boilie
floatfished on a #16 hook. None of the others had any carp 'though one had a
couple of nice bream which he didn't seem very happy with.

By all means use your boilies and good luck with them. Keep your eyes open
though and be prepared to change tactics if the opportunity arises. Keep
quiet and pay attention at all times and you'll catch more - I promise.

Cheerio,

Old August 10th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Kinglemming

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 16:57:08 +0000, fishin' kid
wrote:

i've been fishing for a couple of years now and never caught a carp
(maybe because i wasn't fishing for them) but my uncle is taking me
carp fishing soon and he told me i only needed to take a tin of cat
food as bait.

my uncle is a very good fisherman and i trust what he says but is
there much chance of catching on tinned cat food?

Also can anyone give me some tips on how to catch carp because this is
a lake where you cant use ground-bait so i think it could be challenge
to catch anything.

Really depends on the lake you are fishing at, and the local weather
conditions the best think to do is visit the lake the day before and
watch the water see if you can signs of where the fish are moving and
feeding to improve your chances, also talk to the local anglers to see
what they are catching fish on.

As for bait carp will take most things, for example at one lake i fish
bread or corn is the best to use for the smaller fish and luncheon
meat or larger maize for the bigger fish and you will catch all day
just keep a small amount of steady feed going in.
Another lake i fish Boilie or Pellet works alot better and there we
tend to fish large beds of bait normally 40 to 50Kg of chopped boilie
pellet and hemp or party blend seed mix.

I have given you the two extremes of fishing for carp, normally it can
be any where in the middle and most baits from maggot and worms to
bread and boilie work even prawns, dog meat and boiled potato's have
been tried and worked but the best thing to do is walk your local
lake and watch it regular and you will soon get use to the fish
feeding patterns and what the anglers are catching them on.

steve
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeSPLA T!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.stebru.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
http://www.aquatels.co.uk
Old August 11th, 2005, 06:48 PM
Richard

wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In message , Richard
writes

and so on, but carp angling seems to be particularly afflicted.

Well that is obviously a view .......... a bit narrow minded but _a_ view
anyway.

In general: The tackle trade make their money from the anglers who don't
catch many...

Not seen any decent data to confirm that _view_.

The (completely unfounded but I'd be astonished if it were not true, it
might even be an understatement) statistic that needs to restated
regularly:
90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers and that 10% buy less
than 5% of the tackle.

Completely unfounded indeed.

I wonder sometimes whether the intention is to impress the fish or the
angler's peers.

If either I guess the latter.

Ime, there is little argument that in certain circumstances the bolt rig,
the hair, boiled baits and bite alarms can be very effective _but_ again

Of course. They were desiged by skillful, resourceful anglers to address
specific problems. Where those problems apply they *are* very effective.

Agreement at last

Most anglers might encounter such conditions once or twice a year at most.

oops ..... that was short lived

In general, when that happens it's more productive to move elsewhere, fish
for something else, or fish at another time.

The idea that apart from once or twice a year it would be better to move,
fish for something else or not at all does not reflect my experience ......
by a very long chalk.

Just live and let live

That's sound advice.

Two agreements in one post ............ we should stick and not twist.

Richard

Old August 11th, 2005, 08:34 PM
fishin' kid fishin' kid is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek.Moody
By all means use your boilies and good luck with them. Keep your eyes open
though and be prepared to change tactics if the opportunity arises. Keep
quiet and pay attention at all times and you'll catch more - I promise

I think the reason i don't use boilies is because i don't have much confidence in them, i don't really understand why a fish will take a strange bait that it's never seen before just because it cost a lot. I have much more confidence in the natural baits.

p.s thanks for the tips (i'll make sure i take a tub of worms just in case the cat food dosn't work and i need to change tactics)
__________________
keep catchin'
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Derek.Moody

In article , Richard
wrote:

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message

In general: The tackle trade make their money from the anglers who don't
catch many...

Not seen any decent data to confirm that _view_.

And I've seen none to disprove it.

The (completely unfounded but I'd be astonished if it were not true, it
might even be an understatement) statistic that needs to restated
regularly:
90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers and that 10% buy less
than 5% of the tackle.

Completely unfounded indeed.

I was tempted to go for 95% and 5% buying 2%. I reckon it's probably closer.

Ime, there is little argument that in certain circumstances the bolt rig,
the hair, boiled baits and bite alarms can be very effective _but_ again

Of course. They were desiged by skillful, resourceful anglers to address
specific problems. Where those problems apply they *are* very effective.

Agreement at last

Most anglers might encounter such conditions once or twice a year at most.

oops ..... that was short lived

In general, when that happens it's more productive to move elsewhere, fish
for something else, or fish at another time.

The idea that apart from once or twice a year it would be better to move,
fish for something else or not at all does not reflect my experience ......
by a very long chalk.

You must be going back to the same, awkward venue every time. If at all
possible try somewhere else.

Just live and let live

That's sound advice.

Two agreements in one post ............ we should stick and not twist.

Not if we're fishing we shouldn't.

When fishing with friends we follow a system. On seeing the water we agree
what tactics we each will use - we all do something different. That way we
find the best method for the day two or three times faster - and all change
to the more productive method(s).

Cheerio,

Old August 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Richard

wrote:

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message

In general: The tackle trade make their money from the anglers who
don't
catch many...

Not seen any decent data to confirm that _view_.

And I've seen none to disprove it.

But if anybody choses to just say the complete opposite ........ or any
variable between ..... the same is true ....... so Imo it isn't worth the
cyberspace it occupies.

The (completely unfounded but I'd be astonished if it were not true, it
might even be an understatement) statistic that needs to restated
regularly:
90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers and that 10% buy less
than 5% of the tackle.

Completely unfounded indeed.

I was tempted to go for 95% and 5% buying 2%. I reckon it's probably
closer.

Well there you sre then you have said it

[...]

I do vary venue and true some are more awkward than others _but_ when I feel
'up for the challenge' a tough venue does have its attractions, and the
reward(s) can be good/satisfying.

Just live and let live

That's sound advice.

Two agreements in one post ............ we should stick and not twist.

Not if we're fishing we shouldn't.

When fishing with friends we follow a system. On seeing the water we
agree
what tactics we each will use - we all do something different. That way
we
find the best method for the day two or three times faster - and all
change
to the more productive method(s).

Golly ............ I feel an essay coming on ....... so I'll leave you to
get on with those ideas.

Richard