To Derek M. re' line clip

Old April 1st, 2004, 05:44 PM
Alex

Default To Derek M. re' line clip

"Alex" wrote in message news:...

"Dominic Lloyd" wrote in

message
if the guy wants to fish the far bank, so be it.

quite right! but as Derek said "Walk round and fish it", instead of
shouting across the lake from 100 yds "You are fishing in my swim"

choice. if he wants to phone his wife, his choice. if he wants to read

when
fishing, his choice. if someone else wants to lie in a bivvy waiting for

the
alarm to go, his choice.

What about the guy next to you who just want a bit of peice and quite?

this pointless
slagging of people who don't fish the same way you do is becoming an
over-worn motif of this group.

If it makes just one modern day Carp fisherman see the error of his ways,
then it is far from pointless.

Old April 4th, 2004, 03:51 PM
fredcromer

who the hell said anything about shouting, and where did 100 yards come
from??, the message said 20 yards,why not read the original before
commenting, mate!!
"Alex" wrote in message

"Dominic Lloyd" wrote in

message
if the guy wants to fish the far bank, so be it.

quite right! but as Derek said "Walk round and fish it", instead of
shouting across the lake from 100 yds "You are fishing in my swim"

choice. if he wants to phone his wife, his choice. if he wants to read

when
fishing, his choice. if someone else wants to lie in a bivvy waiting for

the
alarm to go, his choice.

What about the guy next to you who just want a bit of peice and quite?

this pointless
slagging of people who don't fish the same way you do is becoming an
over-worn motif of this group.

If it makes just one modern day Carp fisherman see the error of his ways,
then it is far from pointless.

---

Old April 4th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Phil L

Derek.Moody wrote:
: In article , fredcromer
: wrote:
:
:: upcoming season, there will be times when i won't engage the
:: B,Runner, and will need a line clip..(or some other method..), for
:: that cast, close to a far bank, island etc. where the clip would
:: have been ideal..But well done
:
: If you are casting to, or near a visible landmark you won't need any
: clips or bands until you are casting so far that your direction is
: unreliable in any case.
:
: For fishing the far bank the easiest and most accurate method is to
: walk round there and fish directly beneath the rod-tip.
:
Yeah I've tried this one Derek but it has a tendency to frighten away
the fish when a six foot bloke with a pile of tackle is towering over
them....short of crawling on all fours (which I regularly do in
summer) sometimes the only way to catch margin-hugging fish is to drop
your bait on the bank and drag it into the water from a distance away.

Old April 4th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Alex

"fredcromer" wrote in message
who the hell said anything about shouting, and where did 100 yards come
from??, the message said 20 yards,why not read the original before
commenting, mate!!

---------------------------------------
You are a matchmans dream, You certainly take the bait!

Old April 4th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Phil L
wrote:
Derek.Moody wrote:
: In article , fredcromer
: wrote:

: For fishing the far bank the easiest and most accurate method is to
: walk round there and fish directly beneath the rod-tip.
:
Yeah I've tried this one Derek but it has a tendency to frighten away
the fish when a six foot bloke with a pile of tackle is towering over
them.

g So don't.

Assuming you have a 12' rod you only need to stick the last 6" out over the
water which gives you (assuming a sensible butt length) at least 9' of
solid bank on which to keep your shadow as you keep the rod in hand. JUST
your shadow btw. You don't need much other tackle in these circs so leave
the mountain at home/in the car.

...short of crawling on all fours (which I regularly do in
summer) sometimes the only way to catch margin-hugging fish is to drop
your bait on the bank and drag it into the water from a distance away.

I don't think I've ever fished a carp water with banks that bare. I did
once catch a 15lb fish from a canal towpath with a hand held line when there
was no more than a foot of mono between my fingers and the hookbait; I
actually let it take about another foot before striking. In general it's
overhanging vegetation, even long grasses are enough, that attracts carp. I
expect it's a combination of the cover and the free insect meals that drop
in from time to time.

Cheerio,

Old April 4th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Phil L

Derek.Moody wrote:
: In article , Phil L
: wrote:
:: Derek.Moody wrote:
::: In article ,
fredcromer
::: wrote:
:
::: For fishing the far bank the easiest and most accurate method is
::: walk round there and fish directly beneath the rod-tip.
:::
:: Yeah I've tried this one Derek but it has a tendency to frighten
away
:: the fish when a six foot bloke with a pile of tackle is towering
over
:: them.
:
: g So don't.
:
: Assuming you have a 12' rod you only need to stick the last 6" out
: over the water which gives you (assuming a sensible butt length) at
: least 9' of solid bank on which to keep your shadow as you keep the
: rod in hand. JUST your shadow btw. You don't need much other
tackle
: in these circs so leave the mountain at home/in the car.

but this way, there is little or no chance of seeing the float, bread,
dog biscuit etc.......far better and easier to do it where possible,
from the opposite bank or across a small bay etc.

:
[...]

Aye, but if you can land a chunk of bread on the grass/turf/gravel and
gently pull it into the water, it's more like it has come to rest
there naturally, caught up in the wisps of grass - I've caught
hundreds of fish this way, sometimes even having a hefty leger on to
get the extra distance.

Old April 5th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Phil L
wrote:
Derek.Moody wrote:
: In article , Phil L
: wrote:
:: Derek.Moody wrote:
::: In article ,
fredcromer
::: wrote:

: Assuming you have a 12' rod you only need to stick the last 6" out
: over the water which gives you (assuming a sensible butt length) at
: least 9' of solid bank on which to keep your shadow as you keep the
: rod in hand. JUST your shadow btw. You don't need much other
tackle

but this way, there is little or no chance of seeing the float, bread,
dog biscuit etc.......

OK, I'll give you a dispensation (just this once) You are permitted to move
forward to the point that you can -just- see the water surface below the
rod tip.

Aye, but if you can land a chunk of bread on the grass/turf/gravel and
gently pull it into the water, it's more like it has come to rest
there naturally, caught up in the wisps of grass - I've caught
hundreds of fish this way, sometimes even having a hefty leger on to
get the extra distance.

I don't dispute that it can be done. I just can't think of any local venue
where it would be possible.

Cheerio,

Old April 5th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Phil L

Derek.Moody wrote:
: In article , Phil L
: wrote:
:: Derek.Moody wrote:
::: In article , Phil
::: wrote:
:::: Derek.Moody wrote:
::::: In article ,
:: fredcromer
::::: wrote:
:
::: Assuming you have a 12' rod you only need to stick the last 6" out
::: over the water which gives you (assuming a sensible butt length)
at
::: least 9' of solid bank on which to keep your shadow as you keep
the
::: rod in hand. JUST your shadow btw. You don't need much other
:: tackle
:
:: but this way, there is little or no chance of seeing the float,
:: bread, dog biscuit etc.......
:
: OK, I'll give you a dispensation (just this once) You are permitted
: to move forward to the point that you can -just- see the water
: surface below the rod tip.

Nope - afraid it's not possible at a few of the waters I visit!!
The carp are very wary and want only the bread which is caught
underneath the overhanging grass, which means if it's more than six
inches away from the bank it'll stay there forever!
:
:: Aye, but if you can land a chunk of bread on the grass/turf/gravel
:: and gently pull it into the water, it's more like it has come to
rest
:: there naturally, caught up in the wisps of grass - I've caught
:: hundreds of fish this way, sometimes even having a hefty leger on
:: get the extra distance.
:
: I don't dispute that it can be done. I just can't think of any
local
: venue where it would be possible.

The ones in particular I'm on about are Bradshaw Hall in Bolton and
Manor Farm near Lancaster....both quite narrow lakes with very wary
fish - it's sometimes the *only* way to get a run.

Old April 5th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Richard

"Derek.Moody" wrote in message
In article , fredcromer
wrote:

snip

For fishing the far bank the easiest and most accurate method is to walk
round there and fish directly beneath the rod-tip.

That may be ok were you fish but on some of my local waters (and very many
others around our country) you can't do that. You can't walk around to the
far bank, you can't take a punt/boat to them either (those days seem to have
passed). If you want to fish for the specimens that 'show' and 'patrol'
those areas you must cast to them. Sometimes that may be a fair distance
from a suitable _casting_ spot, and the techniques discussed in this and
another thread can be useful during both the day and night. Conversly the
techniques you have described, whilst good in certain (even many)
situations, would be next to useless at venues and in swims I have in mind.

Richard

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Phil L
wrote:
Derek.Moody wrote:
: In article , Phil L

: OK, I'll give you a dispensation (just this once) You are permitted
: to move forward to the point that you can -just- see the water
: surface below the rod tip.

Nope - afraid it's not possible at a few of the waters I visit!!
The carp are very wary and want only the bread which is caught
underneath the overhanging grass, which means if it's more than six
inches away from the bank it'll stay there forever!

In which case you don't need to see it. You will see ripples propagating
from below your rod tip and hear the take, then it's just a case of waiting
'til the fish takes (say) a foot of line from between your fingers before
striking. In this situation you don't have any loose line beyond the rod -
no line on the water either - but keep a loop in hand.

:: Aye, but if you can land a chunk of bread on the grass/turf/gravel
:: and gently pull it into the water, it's more like it has come to

: I don't dispute that it can be done. I just can't think of any
local
: venue where it would be possible.

The ones in particular I'm on about are Bradshaw Hall in Bolton and
Manor Farm near Lancaster....both quite narrow lakes with very wary

I don't know those waters. I presume they must be fairly manicured banks if
you can overcast and retrieve safely.

fish - it's sometimes the *only* way to get a run.

You don't want a run, no sense in giving the fish any advantage. Hit and
hold is the idea, maybe let the fish have enough line that you don't get
soaked but keep it's head up and fight it out within a rodlength. I have
done this fishing straight into lillybeds when the fish mustn't be allowed
any slack. Luckily you can use a strong line and the carp's first reactive
surge simply turns into an assisted jump...

Cheerio,