Are there any trout in Texas

Old January 20th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Paul Goodwin

Default Are there any trout in Texas

Hi,

I just accepted a offer from a company in Austin, Texas and will be
relocating in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping that in the long list
of differences between Austin and my home in the Northeast I don't have to
include trout fishing.

Is there any trout fishing in Texas and better yet in the greater Austin
area?

Paul

Old January 20th, 2004, 01:53 PM
rb608

"Paul Goodwin" wrote in message
I just accepted a offer from a company in Austin, Texas and will be
relocating in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping that in the long list
of differences between Austin and my home in the Northeast I don't have to
include trout fishing.

Holy ****, Paul. Good luck.

Joe F.

Old January 20th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Wayne Knight

"Paul Goodwin" wrote in message

I just accepted a offer from a company in Austin, Texas and will be
relocating in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping that in the long list
of differences between Austin and my home in the Northeast I don't have to
include trout fishing.

Is there any trout fishing in Texas and better yet in the greater Austin
area?

Trout fishing as you know it in the northeast can be kissed goodbye. The
Guadelupe (sp?) river is stocked periodically but besides standing in it
once about 6 years ago, I have no current knowledge of it's status.

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Jeff Miller

jeez, i suspect that's gonna be significant culture shock. ... you might
want to tune-up your sal****er and bass fishing gear/skills...and get a
map of quickest g routes north. big dale can probably help. i'll be
interested in your perceptions of life in texas...but, i hear austin is
ok. good luck and stay in touch...

jeff

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Big Dale

Paul wrote:Hi,

I just accepted a offer from a company in Austin, Texas and will be
relocating in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping that in the long list
of differences between Austin and my home in the Northeast I don't have to
include trout fishing.

Is there any trout fishing in Texas and better yet in the greater Austin
area?

Paul

Boy are you in for a surprise! there are no real trout in the state, but TU has
it's largest chapter in the country in that area. The fishery is below the damn
at Canyon Lake in the Guadelupe River. The last three state record stripers
got to weigh over 50 pounds came from this area fter they had been eating the
stocked trout.Your best contact from ROFF will probably be "Conan the
Librarian" who lives in Wimberly.

I spent about 8 years living in the Austin area but moved away about a decade
ago. Town Lake in downtown Austin is one of the best bluegill fisheries in the
state and you will have a chance to catch one that weighs more than 16 ounces
from that water. The Austin Angler is one of the best flyshops in the country.
You are going to love exploring the hill country and wet wading for bluegill,
bass, and on a few streams catching Guadelupe Bass. Your 3 and 4 weight rods
will get a good workout in the streams in the area. there were no FFF clubs in
the area when I lived there, but there are now clubs in San Marcos and Austin
as well as San Antonio.

The fly tying show season in Texas is primarily on the local club level and
starts with a great one in Houston on Sat. Feb 7 at the Holiday Inn at Antoine
and I 10. we have a hell of a lot of fun at these events and If you can
possibly make it over look me up as I will be there tying the Psychedelic
Spiders and I will introduce you to a bunch of good folks. I will be easy to
recognize as I will be the biggest guy at the show and I still look a lot like
Jerry Garcia, only I am still breathing for now.

Watch out for the heat in the summer 'cause if you are not used to it
heatstroke is a possibility when it is 95 degrees and 95% humidity.

Sell any vehicles without air conditioning before you move or you will take a
beating on getting rid of them in Texas.

It will take a while to adjust for the distances involved in this state. Most
folks drive big pickups or SUV's cause it is common to drive 300 miles before
we stop for breakfast when we are out playing for the weekend. Long distances
require enough space to be comfortable for long periods of time.

Big Dale

Old January 20th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Scott Seidman

"Paul Goodwin" wrote in
:

Hi,

I just accepted a offer from a company in Austin, Texas and will be
relocating in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping that in the long
list of differences between Austin and my home in the Northeast I
don't have to include trout fishing.

Is there any trout fishing in Texas and better yet in the greater
Austin area?

Paul

They all left when Bush became governor

Scott
Old January 20th, 2004, 03:06 PM
bruiser

Paul,

I think there's some tailwater stretches near Austin, on the Guadalupe (?).
There are certainly some trout in Texas, but not any wild ones.

Most Texans head to NM and CO, especially to the San Juan (they don't call
it the Texas Hole for nothing!) for trout.

San Juan Clave next December?

bruce h

Old January 20th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Paul Goodwin

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 4...
"Paul Goodwin" wrote in
:

[snip]

They all left when Bush became governor

Scott

I just got this from a friend who is from Texas:

How do you tell the difference between Democrats, Republicans and
Southerners?

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.
Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner,
raises the knife, and charges at you. You are carrying a Glock .40, and you
are an expert
shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.
What do you do?

Democrat's Answer:
Well, that's not enough information to answer the question!

Does the man look poor or oppressed?
Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?
Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids?
Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his
hand?
What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have an
appropriate safety built into it?
Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this
send to society and to my children?
Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me?
Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?
If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he
was stabbing me?
Should I call 9-1-1?
Why is this street so deserted?
We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier,
healthier street that would discourage
such behavior.

This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends [ROFF?]
for a few days and try to come to a consensus.

Republican's Answer:
BANG!

Southerner's Answer:
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
click...
(Sounds of reloading.)
Wife: "Sweetheart, he looks like he's still moving, what do you kids think?"
Son: "Mom's right Dad, I saw it, too."
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
click.
Daughter: "Nice group, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips?"

Old January 20th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Paul Goodwin
wrote:

I just got this from a friend who is from Texas:

Reminds me. There was a nice thing on the radio here at the moment. The
US is trying to force European airliners flying into the USA to carry
armed sky marshalls. Most pilots don't want them - they argue that if
there's any danger on a flight it shouldnt take off.

One doctor rang in to the BBC "Today" programme to suggest the answer.

*Every* passanger boarding every flight should be issued with a
firearm, which they would have to carry throughout the flight.

This principal, which has kept violent crime so low in the US, and
especially low in Texas, should work equally well on airliners.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address