Dock light fishing for snook.

Old November 29th, 2004, 06:13 AM
mike

Default Dock light fishing for snook.

Okay I have fished for snook off of many piers in St. Petersburg and
Anna Maria Island Florida. One thing that remains cosistent is live
ballyhoo, I guess there like candy to inshore fish. My question is
are ballyhoo hard to keep alive like a scaled sardine. The other
question what lure imitates them well. I tried a 2 ounce jig with a
rubber tail. I think I hit one that I lost. Will a rubber slug tail
like an exude or a 12 fathom work better. I also read something about
trolling for them with a diving plug. Could I just cast one out and
reel it in. Something with a metal lip on it like a count down. Will
any of these work. Thanks Mikey D
Old November 29th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Ray or Bobbi Adams

I used a rattle trap fishing for snook in Ft. Myers.

Old November 29th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Ray or Bobbi Adams

I used a rattle trap fishing for snook in Ft. Myers.

Old November 30th, 2004, 10:16 AM
joe

In article ,
(mike) wrote:

Okay I have fished for snook off of many piers in St. Petersburg and
Anna Maria Island Florida. One thing that remains cosistent is live
ballyhoo, I guess there like candy to inshore fish. My question is
are ballyhoo hard to keep alive like a scaled sardine. The other
question what lure imitates them well. I tried a 2 ounce jig with a
rubber tail. I think I hit one that I lost. Will a rubber slug tail
like an exude or a 12 fathom work better. I also read something about
trolling for them with a diving plug. Could I just cast one out and
reel it in. Something with a metal lip on it like a count down. Will
any of these work. Thanks Mikey D

I use artificials exclusively so I can not answer the question about the
ballyhoo. However, that is not the bait I have heard that most use who
do bait fish. Seems like finger mullet or similar are what inshore
anglers use for snook.

For artificials, the exude would be a good bet from my experience. It
can be fished with little or no weight allowing you to toss up under
docks without spooking the snook. Topwaters like the Top Dog/Pup or She
Dog, Zara Spook and such can be productive. Also, the Jumping Mullet or
any number of floating and sinking lures. I suggest flattening the
barbs as snook take baits so aggressively that they will usually have
several of the points of each treble embedded. I have also rigged plugs
with single hooks to ease the stress on the fish with a quicker release.

I have caught about as many snook on a silver spoon as all other lures
together though. Not sure if it is appropriate for the docks though
depending on how skittish the fish are.

One of the most exciting ways to fish docks and bridge shadow lines for
snook is with a fly rod. You do not have to be a great caster to put the
fly where you need it as the aggressive nature of the snook will have
them on it if you get anywhere close enough to get their attention. Any
streamer pattern in white and chartreuse should work but other
minnow/baitfish imitations are also likely to work. When I fished with a
guide around shadow lines he was set to use the trolling motor to
quickly clear from the pilings as the snook will use them to advantage
is possible.

Good Fishin'

atljoe
--