I have a stupid question.

Old April 10th, 2006, 09:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default I have a stupid question.

"Diamond Dave" wrote in message
Why is it that most/all pro and semi-pro bass fishermen use bait casting
reels
when in tournaments, or filming their TV shows. Is there some advantage to
the way a bait casting reel casts or retrieves.
tnx.

There's a myriad of reasons why many bass anglers use baitcasting tackle.
First and foremost, it's the proper tool for the job! Baitcasting reels and
rods handle heavier line while being lighter in weight than spinning tackle
rated for the same line/lure weight. The power to weight ratio for heavy
lures/heavy line is better for baitcasting tackle versus spinning.

Baitcasting rods typically have more backbone than spinning and are able to
power fish out of or away from heavy cover, places where bass like to hang
out and feed.

Baitcasting anglers typically have better accuracy for pinpoint placement of
their lures over spinning anglers. This is important when placing a lure
into a pocket in weeds, at the base of a stump, etc., again, places where
bass live. Now, before anyone gets all riled up and wants to argue they can
cast just as accurately with a spinning rod over a baitcaster, remember, I
said "Typically".

For me, I use both types of tackle, it all depends upon the circumstances in
which I'm fishing. If I need to finesse fish, using lightweight lures (1/4
oz. or lighter), light line and/or livebait rigs for finicky fish, and the
areas I'm fishing do not have a lot of stumps, snags and weeds, typically
I'll grab spinning gear.

If I'm throwing to heavy cover, with lures that are heavier than 1/4 oz.
then I'll grab my baitcasting equipment.

Like I said, the right tool for the job. Sure, you can drive a nail with a
screwdriver, but wouldn't a hammer work better?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com