Three trips this week

Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:13 PM
Sarge

Default Three trips this week

First trip was Wednesday, right after all that rain and wind we had down
here in South Louisiana. Some areas had 4 to 6 inches of rain. Headed to
Hopedale, LA to get into some sal****er action. Weatherman called for 10
percent chance of showers and light winds, smooth lakes and bays and a 1 to
2 foot chop in the gulf. Sounded like picture perfect weather report to
head out. Drove two fours and launched at 5 AM. Left the dock at 515 in
the dark with plans to head out to fish Black Bay (40 minute boat ride in my
boat). Well, the weatherman was wrong, when I hit black Bay the water was
too rough to head out so I turned back into the interior marsh and started
looking for clean water. Water was dirty in most of the lake and bays.
Found some half way decent water and started trolling the windward
shorelines of several bays and lakes while casting a Sal****er Assassin lure
in purple with a chartreuse tail. After several shorelines and only two
specks and one redfish in the boat. I decided to change tactics. I went
looking for the birds diving in the water. Found several locations but was
unable to pick up on any keeper trout. Caught numerous 10 inch trout that I
had to throw back. Next I tried some shallow water (1 to 2 foot deep) ponds
that the water was crystal clear. These ponds were full of grass on the
bottom and the redfish like to stack up in them. The reds act just like a
bass in that grass and wait to ambush bait as it passes by. Changed to a
weedless gold spoon and started casting. Some times you can see the wake of
the red moving along the shore line and I would cast to it. Managed to pick
up 4 more keeper reds and three more throwbacks due I already had my limit.
Headed back to launch and was out of the water for 1 PM and headed home.
Today's catch 2 trout and 5 reds.

Friday, I drove another two hours and went and fished Shell Beach,
Louisiana. Got to the launch at 4:45 AM and got in line to launch. I was
the 7th boat in line. After a short wait, I got the boat in the water. Boy
was I glad I was early. They had another 50 plus boats waiting to launch
behind me. Took a little while to get some live bait since they were trying
to launch boats and sell bait to everyone launching. Purchased 100 live
shrimp and headed out to the rigs in Lake Bornge. Left launch at 5:45 to
see a beautiful sunrise. After a short 5 mile boat ride, started fishing
the down current side of the rigs. Setup was live shrimp under a popping
cork with an 18 inch leader. Nothing not even one fish. After a half hour
of trying, I switched to live shrimp Carolina rigged. The fish turned on
and managed to catch 21 keeper trout before losing all my shrimp. Switch to
artificial (deadly dudley in chartreuse) on the same setup and caught
another 10 trout throwing back 6 due to a limit of trout. Headed back to
the launch at 9:30 AM with a one man limit of specks (25).

Saturday, waited to fish in the afternoon since I had to due some Mr. Mom
things since the wife was working. Took my son out to Lake Ponchatrain for
an afternoon of fishing. Left the house for 1 PM and was at the launch for
1:45 only to have to wait for 40 minutes for several boats either launching
or picking up. This is quite busy with a launch that has 5 double back
downs. Just as I get my turn, the USCG decides to do an inspection of my
rig. After a 30 minute delay and a clean bill of health for my rig, I was
on the water. Headed to the reefs that are three miles out. Started
fishing artificial deadly dudleys (blue moon with chartreuse tail) by just
throwing into the current and working the lure back to the boat by bouncing
it off the bottom. My son had the same setup but was using a purple split
tail beetle with chartreuse tail. We both started catching some trout. We
managed 43 trout and 6 croakers by 5:15 PM so we headed in.

Not a bad week, I can't wait to see what Monday and going to bring since it
will be the only day I know I can fish for sure. Maybe Friday or Saturday
depending on weather and last minute preparations needed for my trip to the
Cayman Islands. Leaving Sunday, for 7 days to fish, dive and just lay out
on the beach, while the wife shops, shops, and shops.

Brent