Eddy fishing for walleye in fast water

Old April 15th, 2005, 10:21 AM
BL

Default Eddy fishing for walleye in fast water

I'll be going on a canoe trip in early June in Northern Saskatchewan.
I've been told that walleye fishing is always good in the eddies below
rapids and falls in the area I'm going, but I've never never never
caught anything by casting a jig behind a boulder in fast current.
The current quickly grabs the line and yanks the hook downstream out
of the eddy. I usually end up catching no walleye at all on these
trips (lots of pike, though, in shallow bays). Any suggestions about
how to fish eddies from shore, in fast-moving water?
Old April 15th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Deepwater

Now that's fun fishin"! Use light, long tailed bright rubber tails and you
can't miss! The lighter the better so not to snag a rock when the current
catches your line. Good luck
m...

Old April 19th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Don Phillipson

"BL" wrote in message
m...

I've been told that walleye fishing is always good in the eddies below
rapids and falls in the area I'm going, but I've never never never
caught anything by casting a jig behind a boulder in fast current.
The current quickly grabs the line and yanks the hook downstream out
of the eddy. I usually end up catching no walleye at all on these
trips (lots of pike, though, in shallow bays). Any suggestions about
how to fish eddies from shore, in fast-moving water?

Experiment first at home if you can find similar
currents. Your problem is to find a jig heavy
and dense enough to sink to the bottom before
it is swept downstream of the boulder, and with
enough of a tail to attract hits. You may need
to experiment with marabou vs. hair tails too.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old April 20th, 2005, 12:46 PM
BL

Thanks, I'll try that. I imagine one uses the same sort of technique
on long eddies where fast current-meets no-current? A person should
retrieve along this type of eddy with a long-tailed jig? Thanks
again.