Orvis Helios Rod

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default Orvis Helios Rod

On 2011-04-04 19:37:19 -0400, jeff said:

On 4/4/2011 6:10 PM, D. LaCourse wrote:
I just booked another trip to one of my favorite places, Riverkeep Lodge
in Labrador. To my surprise Orvis is offering a Helios rod to everyone
who books a trip.

Question to everyone (and especially Waldo), what rod should I select?
It will definitely be a salt water rod, but am wondering which one would
serve me best. I have a good Sage 10ft 7 w, and was thinking either an 8
or 9 weight. Would either be enough for false Albies, Walt/Jeffy?

Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

Dave

false albacore in labrador??

Who said there were albies in Labrador?

"I just booked another trip to one of my favorite places, Riverkeep
Lodge in Labrador. ...what rod should I select? ...Would either be
enough for false Albies, Walt/Jeffy?" seemed you were asking about a
rod for albies in labrador. my mistake...

around here, i'd say a stiff 9 ft, 9 wt for the false albacore i'm
familiar with...10 wt for the big ones (over 12 lbs). they make a
strong, fast first run, then are a bitch to get up as they do the tuna
circle dance. sage is the sal****er rod favored by most i know who
fish the salt regularly. i was disappointed in the new loomis nrx, but
i'm not the best gauge for such things... still, how can you go wrong
with a FREE helios?

jeff

A 10 w for a 12 lb fish? Wow! They really must be something. I've landed
17 lb rainbows, 16 lb coho, and 20 lb browns on a 10 ft Sage 7 weight. A
9wt makes more sense, to me, in that I could use it for other salt water
fish and possibly Atlantic Salmon

Thanks, Jeff.

Dave

a 10's what a lot of folks suggest around here for the bigger false
albacore. an 8 or 9, strong construction, would probably do. i tried to
get someone (an experienced fly fisherman) to fish their 8 wt, but they
were afraid it would snap. the albies have a very strong initial
run...and usually make a good second one. then they are swimming trawl
doors to lift to the boat.

jeff

Old April 6th, 2011, 12:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On 2011-04-04 23:29:35 -0400, ScovilleUnit said:

D. LaCourse wrote in news:2011040418105075249-
davplac@aolcom:

I just booked another trip to one of my favorite places, Riverkeep
Lodge in Labrador. *To my surprise Orvis is offering a Helios rod to
everyone who books a trip.

Question to everyone (and especially Waldo), what rod should I select?
It will definitely be a salt water rod, but am wondering which one
would serve me best. *I have a good Sage 10ft 7 w, and was thinking
either an 8 or 9 weight. *Would either be enough for false Albies,
Walt/Jeffy?

Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

Dave

Don't be surprised, be skeptical. *You don't get nothing (of value) for
free in this world!!! *The fishing rod you're getting from Otis is probably
a cheap Chinese bogus counterfeit, if it is the real McCoy, then Otis has
jacked up the price of your trip to compensate. *I would have thought that
after seeing me expose all of the $pamers here that you would have learned
something by now!

I can see that their is a lot more work for me to do here. sign

HH

Is that you, Richard?

Dave

moron.

g.
Old April 6th, 2011, 01:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-04-04 19:37:19 -0400, jeff said:

[...]

Thanks, Jeff. A 9ft 9 weight it is. I will get it from an Orvis
dealer *after* I return. d;o)

Lab has BIG brookies. The last time I fished it I took 7 or 8 fish
each day that were five pounds, all on dry flies. I am betting that
Harrys Perfect Killer Caddis will be exactly that. And, of course
there are landlocks, lake trout (big streamers) and pike, as well as
those pesky white fish.

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 4/5/2011 8:17 PM, D. LaCourse wrote:

[...]

sounds like a great trip...have fun, take pictures, and keep the new
joints well lubed. g
Old May 13th, 2011, 04:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
ScovilleUnit

Giles wrote in
:

On Apr 4, 10:29*pm, ScovilleUnit wrote:

Don't be surprised, be skeptical.

Not exactly an either/or proposition. One can be both. In fact, if
one is the latter (and not a moron) one is frequently the former.

You don't get nothing (of value) for
free in this world!!!

Wrong. I offer free taxonomy.

moron.

The fishing rod you're getting from Otis is probably
a cheap Chinese bogus counterfeit, if it is the real McCoy, then Otis
has jacked up the price of your trip to compensate.

See now......who would'a thunk of that?

I would have thought that
after seeing me expose all of the $pamers here that you would have
learne

something by now!

The literature says that pigs can be taught.

But it is silent on the issue of how much.

I can see that their is a lot more work for me to do here. sign

Text, oral, braille, signed......makes no difference.

HH

moron.

g.

Green Teeth...Giles!

HH.

Old May 15th, 2011, 02:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On May 13, 10:00*pm, ScovilleUnit wrote:
Giles wrote :

On May 12, 10:18*pm, ScovilleUnit wrote:
Giles wrote
innews:deb49354-6759-4cc4-9bc9-353eebcd

:

[...]

Green Teeth...Goule!!