Fly Tying Magnification

Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L[_2_]

Default Fly Tying Magnification

All three of the sponsored links over there in the right hand margin
are now for magnifiers

..........kinda creepy

........careful Todd, they ARE out to get us

Old January 24th, 2011, 01:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Giles

On Jan 23, 12:16*pm, Larry L wrote:
On Jan 23, 9:55*am, Larry L wrote:

Hit some key and got posted before I was done !

FURTHER NOTE:

I have come to believe that in tiny flies the EXACT amount of tiny is
usually the most important trait of successful flies ( at least in
selective periods ) and that including the eye of the hook in your
overall size can pay dividends .... as can using a very small
knot * .... so if you carry a short piece of Metric ruler
( suggested ) *and measure your natural, tie at least some of your
imitations where that measurement is not the shank length but the eye
and shank length, or at least a compromise

As I said, I currently believe that size is usually THE important
trait in tiny imitations and that includes 'fatness' ... sparse is
almost always better and in many cases 'sparse enough' is impossible
since the hook and a wrap of 8/0 is already too fat...

LAST NOTE: *I don't think this is too important in 'searching' tiny
flies, little nymphs ala the San Juan .... I'm thinking of actual
hatch periods, midges and baetis, mainly * .... flash back ... I was
fishing the Big Lost, sight nymphing with a red tailed Copper John ...
I guy came along as I was landing a fish and asked what I was
using ..... I told him and he replied that he was fishing one too,
with a bobber .... next bit is the flash-back ... and "the smaller fly
I use the bigger the fish I seem to catch" ..... IMHO a seine sample
of the BL shows why, even in non-hatch times it can pay to give
something they are used to seeing and eating...doh, of course

So, what's funnier than a bunch of *maturing* fly fishers trying to
find "JUST" the right angling aid? ****ed if I know. Alls I know is
that none of us (well, with one rather obvious exception) has said
"**** it" and packed his dittybag and gone off to some *godforsaken*
island in the Phillipines to live out "his" "our" "my" "your" dream/
nightmare.

The rest is just blather of one sort (or degree) or another.**

g.
**not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old January 24th, 2011, 01:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Giles

On Jan 23, 12:29*pm, Larry L wrote:
All three of the sponsored links over there in the right hand margin
are now for magnifiers

.........kinda creepy

.......careful Todd, they ARE out to get us

And one is tempted to say, "They WILL!"......but, of course, they
already did.....a long long time ago.

g.
taxonomist to......well, whoever cares.
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 23, 4:14*pm, Giles wrote:

So, what's funnier than a bunch of *maturing* fly fishers trying to
find "JUST" the right angling aid? *****ed if I know.

I tend to agree and find my own compulsive behavior pretty amusing,

BUT

in 'some' self defense, I've noticed that, apparently, in all areas
of human interest there are individuals obsessed with inspecting the
smallest details, minutely ..... just part of the Nature of the Beast,
imho

I watched a PBS special about Birds of Paradise last night that
recorded people sitting in tree stumps, in a downpour, for days on
end, to get the chance to see a particular bird perform it's mating
dance .... then the damn thing ****ed without dancing !! ..... can't
believe I'm too unique in "level of absurdity' in my own fields of
interest ;-) .... in fact I'd have to get more involved to make TV,
I'd guess

Old January 25th, 2011, 12:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Giles

On Jan 24, 1:35*pm, Larry L wrote:
On Jan 23, 4:14*pm, Giles wrote:

So, what's funnier than a bunch of *maturing* fly fishers trying to
find "JUST" the right angling aid? *****ed if I know.

I tend to agree and find my own compulsive behavior pretty amusing,

BUT

in 'some' *self defense, I've noticed that, apparently, *in all areas
of human interest there are individuals obsessed with inspecting the
smallest details, minutely ..... just part of the Nature of the Beast,
imho

I carry a jewelers loupe wherever I go these days. There is no better
pocket-sized tool for giving a boy a good sense of how large the world
actually is.

I watched a PBS special about Birds of Paradise last night that
recorded people sitting in tree stumps, in a downpour, for days on
end, to get the chance to see a particular bird perform it's mating
dance .... then the damn thing ****ed without dancing !! ..... can't
believe I'm too unique in "level of absurdity' in my own fields of
interest ;-) .... in fact I'd have to get more involved to make TV,
I'd guess

Was that Attenborough's film....or something else? If the former, I
watched it less than a year ago. If the latter.....don't know.....may
or may not have seen it.....can't keep track of it all.

In any case, they are a most unusual family. Puts one in mind of 17th
century European nobility at court.....except for the rampant inbred
vacuity, of course.

giles

Old January 27th, 2011, 12:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JR[_5_]

On 1/22/2011 6:53 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
However, how the hell do you see to tie one of these little *******s?
I got it made, personally, as my dentist gave me an old pair of these,
http://www.designsforvision.com/DentHtml/D-TTL1.htm Then I found out
the cost between 500 and a thousand dollars!!! He had some old ones
in his drawer that he didn't use, as the new ones have a light. They
give you an area of about 3" at 2.5 or 3X magnification.

A number of years ago, I bought a pair of these

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ubcat_id=16050

in 4X. They're great. I may eventually buy the 5X if I need them.

- JR

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:21 PM
alvirrojohnn alvirrojohnn is offline
Junior Member

Thats why I like the ones I have. They are "through the lens" magnification. Its about like a bifocal, a VERY able bifocal. The rest of the lens is apparent glass. I can attending through at the vise without accepting annihilation in the way. I'm accepting added and added used the NorVise.