Damns on Elwha R. coming down. Today turbines shut down for good.

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default Damns on Elwha R. coming down. Today turbines shut down for good.

In the largest damn removal in US history, the 2 hydro damns on the
Elwha River in Washington State will be removed over the next year,
after years of obstructionist game playing in which Ex Senator Slick
Slade Gorton did his damndest to play games and extract campaign funds
from rightwing jackdaws. The two damns, one 100' +, and another 200'+
sitting on National Park land, destroyed a run of King Salmon whose
largest examples ran to 100 pounds, as well as runs of Steelhead,
Coho, Pinks, etc.. The small amount of power produced used in 2 paper
mills will be easily replaced says BPA.

When the dams are down, the Elwha will run free from its headwaters in
the heart of the Olympic mountains, to the salt water of the Straits
of Juan de Fuca and, with luck, will become the foremost salmon river
in the lower 48 States.

After a bungled post retirement attempt to be the US voice for alleged
Somalian pirate money launderers, maybe the dufus Ex Senator will
finally return for burial to the family lair in Gloucester that
spawned him . . . and stay there.

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jun 1, 2:10*pm, DaveS wrote:
[...]

Correction: The damns will take 3 (THREE) years to remove.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jun 1, 4:16*pm, DaveS wrote:

Correction: The damns will take 3 (THREE) years to remove.

Dave

Interesting......given that we all know it could be done in about
three minutes.

Almost enough to make a boy wonder, who, when, and how much.

giles
and here it is just a day or two past "memorial" day.....and we got
something to make a memorial about.....well, would'a could'a, anyway.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jun 1, 5:29*pm, Giles wrote:
On Jun 1, 4:16*pm, DaveS wrote:

Correction: The damns will take 3 (THREE) years to remove.

Dave

Interesting......given that we all know it could be done in about
three minutes.

Almost enough to make a boy wonder, who, when, and how much.

giles
and here it is just a day or two past "memorial" day.....and we got
something to make a memorial about.....well, would'a could'a, anyway.

I am told that this will be the largest (non military) removal of dams
in world history. (But I do not know the size and mass of the dams the
RAF took out in Germany.) Some of the complication is the 18 million
cubic yards of accumulated silt, the height of the dams as well as a
few hundred Native Americans in a village on the Elwha delta, and the
water system of a smaller city . . . all in the way.

This Popular Mechanics article from '06 will give you some idea of
what is involved.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie.../water/2294301

"Elwha dam" on Google images has lots of pics and links to the Olympic
National Parks site with lots more on what's in it for the fish.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jun 1, 8:35*pm, DaveS wrote:
On Jun 1, 5:29*pm, Giles wrote:

On Jun 1, 4:16*pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

In the long run (say, 72 hours +) the fish will benefit. The few
hundred Native Americans are much like the Indians who came before
them.....they just have to live with the vicissitudes of
freedom.....for a while, anyway.

Popular Mechanics is a surprisingly long-lived collection of lies.

The dams could (and most certainly should) be removed in a matter of
minutes.

Everybody please stand back.....this will all be over in a couple of
days. Vote for me and I'll set you free. Thanks, and watch out for
the commies.....they live next door.

giles
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jun 1, 7:45*pm, Giles wrote:
On Jun 1, 8:35*pm, DaveS wrote:

On Jun 1, 5:29*pm, Giles wrote:

On Jun 1, 4:16*pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

giles- Hide quoted text -

These dams may be a little bigger than ones you may be thinking of.
Although I have little doubt that a high explosive alternative could
put a nick in the top structures. But as I recall eliminating Native
American villages and treaty rights is now considered bad form. ;+))
Ex Senator Gorton, a long-time hate monger of Native people might
disagree but then he raised hundreds of thousands from rich
knuckleheads with his demagoguery on Native issues.

The addy below is a YouTube animation or 2 of the take-down as
planned. You can see how narrow the canyons are and imagine the slick
ream-out and sediment flows that would be triggered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKGlt00PVzE

Dave
Ta Tonka. ta tonka, ta tonka!
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jun 7, 12:43*pm, DaveS wrote:
On Jun 1, 7:45*pm, Giles wrote:

On Jun 1, 8:35*pm, DaveS wrote:

On Jun 1, 5:29*pm, Giles wrote:

On Jun 1, 4:16*pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

I wasn't actually thinking of any damn in particular. That said,
there isn't a dam in the world that couldn't be rendered "former" in a
matter of minutes.....thus saving everyone concerned (well, almost
everyone) a great deal of time, money and aggravation.

Although I have little doubt that a high explosive alternative could
put a nick in the top structures.

High explosives would certainly make for many relatively easy, cheap,
quick and effective options, but they are hardly necessary. A
sufficient quantity of strategically placed black powder could do the
job......with a LOT more smoke. MUCH better show, don'tcha know.

But as I recall eliminating Native
American villages and treaty rights is now considered bad form. ;+))

Well, yes, in certain circles. At the end of the the day, though, no,
most Murricans would heartily approve. It's really just a matter of
how the polsters phrase the questions.

Ex Senator Gorton, a long-time hate monger of Native people might
disagree but then he raised hundreds of thousands from rich
knuckleheads with his demagoguery on Native issues.

See, I COULD claim that as my point.....but I ain't that
cheap.

The addy below is a YouTube animation or 2 of the take-down as
planned. You can see how narrow the canyons are and imagine the slick
ream-out and sediment flows that would be triggered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKGlt00PVzE

Take the dams out NOW!.....all at once.....and the vast bulk of the
silt goes down with them, in a matter of hours. Do it over three
years and the silt takes a couple of centuries.

I don't think I would buy a toilet that flushes at the rate of a drop
or two per second.

Dave
Ta Tonka. ta tonka, ta tonka!

Oompa loompa.

giles
who knows that a few native american villages could be rebuilt and
vastly improved in a lot less time than three years and for a GREAT
deal less money than can be milked out of three years worth of dam
removal.
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jun 8, 9:41*pm, Giles wrote:
On Jun 7, 12:43*pm, DaveS wrote:

On Jun 1, 7:45*pm, Giles wrote:

On Jun 1, 8:35*pm, DaveS wrote:

On Jun 1, 5:29*pm, Giles wrote:

On Jun 1, 4:16*pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

removal.- Hide quoted text -

And videotape it. Let it go viral on YouTube with appropriate
political messages for the Eeyore Party inserted via subliminal
advertising. We could sweep the Iowa primaries.
Frank Reid