Lead - Fuse Wire - Alternatives

Old May 26th, 2011, 05:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Guy[_2_]

Default Lead - Fuse Wire - Alternatives

Sttin' in DFW waiting for an uncancelled fight to STL.......
Had breakfast at Hampton Inn (since 1/2 my nights are spent in HI's)
Went to Bass Pro to kill some time.
Lead wire $3.99....poop (or worse)
I don't want a 1/2 oz. of .015. I want 10 lbs. of the stuff or else I
will starting collecting old electric motors and use the copper wiring
in the coils.
Anyone have any ideas where to get massive quantities of the stuff?
Googled it up and couldn't find a guage vs. 1000's comparison chart.
Not at local electrical supply houses.
Anyone with alt methods to weight bugs?
I hate beads.

Thanks in Advance and Kindest Regards.
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On May 26, 12:28*pm, Guy wrote:
Sttin' in DFW waiting for an uncancelled fight to STL.......
Had breakfast at Hampton Inn (since 1/2 my nights are spent in HI's)
Went to Bass Pro to kill some time.
Lead wire $3.99....poop (or worse)
I don't want a 1/2 oz. of .015. I want 10 lbs. of the stuff or else I
will starting collecting old electric motors and use the copper wiring
in the coils.
Anyone have any ideas where to get massive quantities of the stuff?
Googled it up and couldn't find a guage vs. 1000's comparison chart.
Not at local electrical supply houses.
Anyone with alt methods to weight bugs?
I hate beads.

Thanks in Advance and Kindest Regards.

1 amp fuse wire is .015". Used to be able to buy it in 1 pound spools.
Don't know if it is still available.
Old May 27th, 2011, 01:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On May 26, 11:28*am, Guy wrote:
Sttin' in DFW waiting for an uncancelled fight to STL.......
Had breakfast at Hampton Inn (since 1/2 my nights are spent in HI's)
Went to Bass Pro to kill some time.
Lead wire $3.99....poop (or worse)
I don't want a 1/2 oz. of .015. I want 10 lbs. of the stuff or else I
will starting collecting old electric motors and use the copper wiring
in the coils.

Hm.....

That's just a wee bit difficult to parse. Let us begin by pointing
out what may seem obvious to some......lead and copper ain't exactly
the same thing, quite (see Mendeleev et al for details).

Anyone have any ideas where to get massive quantities of the stuff?

Lead can be obtained in virtually limitless quantities from the
windowsills in certain neighborhoods in Milwaukee. However,
collection and preparation for fly tying applications may prove
somewhat problematic.

Rumor has it that copper wire can be obtained from old electric
motors. Personally, I would try Radio Shack or any of the myriad
perpetual flea-markets that litter every major metropolitan area in
the known universe.

Googled it up and couldn't find a guage vs. 1000's comparison chart.

Try finding it in metric.....or cubits.

If that doesn't work, go down into your basement. Find the old
doorbell mechanism. If you have neither of these, shame on you. Got
an old blender?.....slot car?.....'53 DeSoto?.....Lionel train?

Not at local electrical supply houses.
Anyone with alt methods to weight bugs?

Ag, Au, Bi, Fr, U.

I hate beads.

Well, there's always hemp, leather, feathers. tattooes, piercings,
surgical modifications.....

Thanks in Advance

You're welcome in retrospect.

and Kindest Regards.

ditto.

a smaller g than thee.
Old June 8th, 2011, 02:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Guy[_2_]

On May 26, 8:25*pm, Giles wrote:
On May 26, 11:28*am, Guy wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply George.
My wit won't match your's.
So are you saying I should be looking for heavy metals in Japan and
other "Off Main Street" locations?
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jun 7, 8:07*pm, Guy wrote:
On May 26, 8:25*pm, Giles wrote:

On May 26, 11:28*am, Guy wrote:

[...]

Nor your taxonomy.

So are you saying I should be looking for heavy metals in Japan and
other "Off Main Street" locations?

Hm.....

No, I don't think that's what I'm saying

g.
p.s. "Machinery's Handbook" is a good source for thousandths to gauge
(or vice versa) conversions.
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Jun 7, 9:07*pm, Guy wrote:
On May 26, 8:25*pm, Giles wrote:

On May 26, 11:28*am, Guy wrote:

[...]

I googled "1 amp fuse wire", and got a few hits. !/2 pound spools are
still available via mail order. A bit pricey at $63, but should last a
very long time. Manufacturer says it is .016 diameter, I miked it at .
015.
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Guy[_2_]

On Jun 9, 9:07*am, george9219 wrote:
On Jun 7, 9:07*pm, Guy wrote:

On May 26, 8:25*pm, Giles wrote:

On May 26, 11:28*am, Guy wrote:

[...]

Yes. I saw that from Bussman. Ridiculous price for 8 oz..
I did take and bust apart an old ceiling fan motor though. Never need
to purchase copper wire again. At least in the guage it was wrapped.