North Carolina

Old December 4th, 2011, 12:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default North Carolina

On 2011-12-03 16:58:20 -0500, jeff said:

if any of the other usual suspects are gonna be there, let me know.
haven't heard from wayno. which dates do you think would be best...as
in least crowded, best fishing, low flow?

It would be great to see you and a couple of the other reprobates on
the river. Haven't heard from wayno in a loooong while. Is that boy
still alive and able to fish?

The last week of May/first week of June will be the busiest down river
because of the sucker spawn. Some very big brookies (5 - 7 pounds)
have been taken during the spawn (along with some big salmon), so
*that* part of the river (the island and the currents) will be *very*
crowded, especially on the week-end. The rest of the time it isn't too
bad, especially if the flow is above 1000 cfs. And, if the flow gets
higher (2000 cfs) there are still some good spots of the river, and
very few people.

Let me know. I could pick you up in Portland on a Sunday and drop you
off the following Saturday.

Dave
(Anyone else interested in a Rapid River trip?)

Old December 5th, 2011, 02:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

Jeff....

if I was in the states I would have no place to stay.... I left it all
behind.

But in all my travels, I am doing my best to educate people in the ways of
"Poet" a Tribute to Townes Van Zandt....

john

"jeff" wrote in message

yup...even my correction was wrong... so, you back in the states or
still on the island...

jeff

On 12/3/2011 10:02 AM, john b wrote:
geezer

"jeff" wrote in message

oops...that's suddenlink dot NET, not COM. jeez...

jeff

On 12/2/2011 2:18 AM, Chad wrote:
Well winter is here in good old Ohio. I am already planning my next
family vacation / fishing trip. The last couple of years we have been
heading up to Michigan to the Upper Manistee River. I must say, I love
this river. Fishing it this past summer was a little tough this time
around. The sun was bright (damn bright), the water was warm and the
days were hot (damn hot). I did however land my biggest Brookie to
date this time around. It was right at about 11 inches. I thought it
was a small Brown at first. Being so warm I didn’t want to fool with
it much and my oldest boy wanted to get a look at so a true
measurement was not taken. It might have been 10 inches but I am
sticking with 11. I am quite gifted in these matters. The year before,
it was dry fly and Brookie heaven. I could toss just about and pattern
and get a take. This time around, they made me work for it. No action
on top the week I was there. But knowing what it could be I stuck
hardnosed to the dry fly. Even fell into the trap of tying on about 5
different patterns in an hour, knowing it is wrong, doing it anyway. I
would look at my nymph box and then recall the glory of a hungry
Brookie eating a bug off the surface and tie on another dry. Vicious
life can be. All in all I love this place, Absolute clear, cold water
and pretty much quiet. Love it there.
But this year I am thinking about North Carolina. I've never been.
Maybe the area of Franklin. I sort of don’t like people much and like
my camping to feel like camping. But its a family trip and the wife,
three boys and dog would probably like a little to do. Hike this trail
hike that trail, go back to camp sort of thing. Being a family trip it
will need to be a drive to camp site. Simply too much to carry at this
point in life. But I don’t mind a good hike to fish. As a matter of
fact I would rather walk in a bit. Quiet, I like to get away from the
people. I am thinking that maybe this year we will go the first week
in June. I am looking for pretty safe water as well. My boys are mid
teens and I would like it very much if they don't drown while wading.
My wife does not fish. She goes and holds down "trout camp" (as I call
It) and never complains not a bit when I roll out at the crack of dawn
and slosh around a large gulp Bush Mills and call it brushing my teeth
before I grab my gear and hit the water. Never says I fish too much.
She wouldn't If I did. I don't. Not so sure there is such a thing. But
too much fishing at the point in life is not an issue. She's too good
to me really. Now here is the kicker. I am damn poor at this point in
life. It has been a rough few years. This being said, cheap is not
only good, it’s a must. The cheaper the camping is, the better. We
don't need nor want anything fancy. Just some quiet, a nice place for
two tents,a dog and some trout waters to wade. So there you have it.
Part story, part question. But all true. I am thinking maybe Snowbird
creek. Any thoughts anyone? Oh and it doesn't need to be near
Franklin. That’s about an 8 hour drive for me and That's about as far
as I would like to go. Any part of the western part of the state is an
option at this point. Nantahala, Pisgah... doesn't matter. Looking for
cheap, nice to look at, easy to get along with and productive waters.
(Sounds like my wife)
So what do you think?
Suggestions?
Chad