Grandkids And Fishing: Age ?

Old December 18th, 2011, 02:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_4_]

Default Grandkids And Fishing: Age ?

Hi,

All kids are different, of course, but was wondering about your
experience with Grandkids:

How young can they be, and still enjoy some introductory fishing
experiences ?

Hints ?

Can hardly wait.

Bob
Old December 18th, 2011, 03:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-12-18 09:28:14 -0500, Bob said:

Hi,

All kids are different, of course, but was wondering about your
experience with Grandkids:

How young can they be, and still enjoy some introductory fishing experiences ?

Hints ?

Can hardly wait.

Bob

Hi, Bob. Hope you are well. How are things in Massachusetts? We are
in Georgia now.

I've had five experiences with grandkids (five grandkids). Most
important thing is to make sure they catch fish. My two oldest, now 28
and 27, were introduced to fly fishing when they were 14 and 13. It
was a challenge to keep them busy, but once they caught a brookie or
salmon, they had a ball. They enjoyed the sport with me until they
discovered girls.

The two youngest, now 11 and 10, have been happy to catch pan fish with
a spinning rod. I have yet to teach them to fly fish. They have been
fishing for a couple of years.

Most important, try to ensure they catch fish. Be patient. If
necessary, catch a fish and let them land it. Let them look at it and
understand how it works - gills, fins, tail, etc. And, have fun!

Good luck and here's hoping you introduce some young ones to this sport.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Old December 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On 2011-12-18 09:28:14 -0500, Bob said:

Hi,

[...]

Dave

my daughters got into fishing at 8 and 5. Bobbers, worms, and
bluegills. Works a treat. Just don't force them. They will wander
off checking out flowers and grasshoppers. Then they'll be back.
Think short attention span theater.
Frank
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Dec 18, 6:28*am, Bob wrote:
Hi,

All kids are different, of course, but was wondering about your
experience with Grandkids:

How young can they be, and still enjoy some introductory fishing
experiences ?

Hints ?

Can hardly wait.

Bob

I took my granddaughters to a pay to play trout lake when they were 2
1/2 & 5. They had such a good time that they keep begging my daughter
to take them fishing or to go visit grandpa so that I can take them
fishing. Unfortunately they live in Minnesota while I'm in Washington,
so that doesn't happen too often. They were catching more trout than
anyone else on the lake. Everyone else was using power bait or worms.
I had set them up with about size 14 nymphs about 18" behind a casting
bubble on their little Princess/ Barbie spinning rods, and had them
retrieve super slow. The only problem I had was that my daughter & her
husband kept wanting to get the rods from their kids so they could get
in on the fun.
Old February 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Phil[_2_]

On Dec 18 2011, 10:03*pm, Bob wrote:
On Dec 18, 6:28*am, Bob wrote:

[...]

Try teaching them to tie flies too... I have a small person in my
life, and the mission is to get the bugger to tie a wooly bugger,
flick it out and hopefully he'll be an angler for life.

lemme know how it goes...

http://phillowry.net