The spawn is on

Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:51 AM
Rich Pierro

Default The spawn is on

On 2 local lakes I've seen huge (5lb+) bass spawning in the shallows. What
a sight, rolling over each other in a hot entwined orgy of passionate
lovemaking, but I digress.

How long does the actual spawn usually last, for how many days? I don't
want to disturb them, but I'd like to hook one soon as they're done f-ing.

Rich P

Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:42 PM
Rich Pierro

No way bro, I saw them up close in the shallows. They were big bass and
they were more interested in mating than senkos.

Rich P

Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
alwaysfishking

I know I was just joking, they really want nothing to do with you, so leave
them be, wait until the female moves out then try a trick worm, if your
talking about best pond, then that female won't be too far away from that
there nest(even if she's on the other side: ), when I was much younger
fishing there I use to see the fish up spawning and didn't realize what they
were doing at the time, the one thing that got the attention of the spawning
bass was the old creame worm in the original nightcrawler color, they should
still sell these at the local wally world with the pre-rigged spinner on the
front, never hooked too many of them but did get a few with it.. Wacky worm
also sells them without the spinner on them, great little worm it is, me, I
am dedicating the rest of this year hunting down that monster bass I saw the
other day at my local lake. Now that there was a fish!!!!!

Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
alwaysfishking

Warren,

See the slight difference in temps from south P.A to Ne P.A, they are all
still up on beds and moving onto beds here, lots of females with eggs

Old May 27th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Rodney

I forgot,, the visiting pro was using a Sinko to start with, without a
single strike on it, then he switched to a craw, which caught his only
fish, he tried about 20 different lures after that, (seamed he would
switch after every bite I got.)

I was using a 4 inch smoke color Reefer from Mojo, to catch all the fish
except one, which I caught on a Robo worm , I switched baits often, but
every time I went back to the reefer, I would boat fish,, I should have
just stayed with it all day

Larry was using a robo worm, drop shotting it, for all his catches.

I was using a borrowed flipping rig from Russ Bassdozer, he had it
loaded with 17 lb test line, (anything to make it hard on me :-) Larry
was using 6 Lb test due to the water clarity, and the pro had 10 Lb
test, borrowed from Russ as well.

The rig I had was very stiff, The line really needed changing as it was
full of memory, (Russ needs to change his line more often :-) not what
I'm used to using with this rig, as my tips are much softer, and my line
lighter, but the airlines wanted 80 bucks (each way) to fly my rods.
because it would be my third checked bag

I wanted Russ to fish with us ,, but 4 in a bass boat just don't get it,
he got to fish yesterday, I have not heard how well he did,, I'm sure he
did better than me, I think they went to a larger, less pressured lake

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Long Shot "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread