Traditionalist Trout- Short Early Season TR

Old April 24th, 2007, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

Default Traditionalist Trout- Short Early Season TR

Went over to the "Mayfly" River yesterday. Wolfgang and Joel know
where it is. Got there about 11am. There were a few rises, very
subtle, as well as an occasional tan caddis. For no particular reason
I tied on a Pass Lake. Worked well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...IMG_0127rs.jpg

I fished it for the first couple of hundred yards, picking up an
occasional fish. Some were decent sized at about 10". When the Pass
Lake got slimed I switched to a CDC Elk caddis. Took a couple of nicer
fish, both when it was drifting and pulled under and retreived.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...IMG_0128rs.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...IMG_0129rs.jpg

When I got about a mile above the car, I reversed myself and fished
back down with a cast of three wets. Two bead head PT soft hackles
with a March Brown wet in the middle. I took almost all the remaining
fish on the March Brown. Only one fish, barely out of diapers, took
the point bead head. None took the first.

The river has changed quite a bit in the 30 years I've been fishing
it. This run used to be waist deep.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...IMG_0145rs.jpg

Now its barely over my knees while the shallow flat above it has
slowly been dug deeper and now is a great spot for fish to ambush
food.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...IMG_0147rs.jpg

I told Jacci (my wife) I was going to be home about 4. Ended up an
hour late. I could have stopped an hour and a half earlier with barely
any difference in my catch and got home on time. The fish and bugs
were most active an hour either side of noon. After that, even though
there was an occasional egg layer skittering over the surface, the
fish seemed to lose interest in floating bugs. I probably should have
switched to streamers for the last hour or so but what the hell.
There's a whole season ahead of us, right?

g.c.

Old April 24th, 2007, 01:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

George Cleveland wrote:

Went over to the "Mayfly" River yesterday...
.....etc.

Those are handsome fish. Thanks for the report and especially
the pics. I'm toying with the idea of moving back east for a
job, am heartsick at the prospect, and need every possible
reminder that there are trout over there.

- JR

Old April 24th, 2007, 02:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:54:07 -0600, "Wolfgang"
wrote:

"George Cleveland" wrote in message
.. .
Went over to the "Mayfly" River yesterday. Wolfgang and Joel know
where it is.

Indeed we do. And we'll all have to fish it together again sometime this
year. As a matter of fact, I just tried to call Joel but his line was busy.
We're planning to go somewhere.....don't know where, yet.....for the season
opener. You planning to fish that day?

Yep. But the days fishing is going to include a nine year old, some
leeches, slip bobbers and a rented boat with a motor! (A big deal in
this family where the boring adults insist on paddling everywhere they
go on water.)

I might sneak the 10 weight and some pike flies on board but mostly we
will be fishing for walleyes and their littler cousins with the jaunty
stripes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...IMG_0127rs.jpg

If there is anything in this world prettier than a brookie in it's native
element, I hope I don't live long enough to see it. I'll be saying howdy to
this one's cousins in less than a month. Sure wish you could join us down
there.

Me too.

There's a whole season ahead of us, right?

Yep. But the between times are SOOOO long. Thanks for helping to end this
one properly.

Wolfgang

No prob.

g.c.

Old April 24th, 2007, 04:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Apr 23, 8:02 pm, George Cleveland
wrote:
Went over to the "Mayfly" River yesterday. Wolfgang and Joel know
where it is. Got there about 11am. There were a few rises, very
subtle, as well as an occasional tan caddis. For no particular reason
I tied on a Pass Lake. Worked well.

(great stuff snipped)

There's a whole season ahead of us, right?

g.c.

yeah, like we are gonna all live forever...

pretty work, george. i hope to meet you, someday.

your friend in the old north state
wayno

Old April 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Jarmo Hurri

George Went over to the "Mayfly" River yesterday.

[An illustrated TR which relieved the stress caused by the long wait
of the summer snipped.]

Thanks for the relaxing journey, keep them coming!

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .