Flies for Tilapia?

Old November 23rd, 2003, 08:46 PM
riverman

Default Flies for Tilapia?

Anyone know what they feed on, in general, and what flies would work on
them? I found a great (stocked) pond about 5 km from me, and they were
making huge swirlies all over, especially in the muddy channel between two
ponds.

I waded through a swamp up to a muddy bank (ignoring the malarial
mosquitoes and what ever creepy crawlies were in there) rigged up, and after
the mandatory half hour getting the tippet unsnarled from the waist-high
reeds, out of the trees behind me, and untying Gordian wind knots, I
actually got a chance to see how bad my casts have gotten since this summer.
Then a hellacious thunderstorm rolled in and I had to get out before the
road turned to mud. I actually only 'fished' in any proper sense for about 5
minutes, but I'm dying to get back there, once I get some clues as to what
they will take.

--riverman

Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:11 PM
Wayne Harrison

"riverman" wrote in message
Anyone know what they feed on, in general, and what flies would work on
them? I found a great (stocked) pond about 5 km from me, and they were
making huge swirlies all over, especially in the muddy channel between two
ponds.

can't advise about flies, but if you catch any and don't keep them, you
don't know nothin' bout eatin no damn fish, boy.

yfitons
wayno

Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:24 PM
riverman

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message

"riverman" wrote in message
Anyone know what they feed on, in general, and what flies would work on
them? I found a great (stocked) pond about 5 km from me, and they were
making huge swirlies all over, especially in the muddy channel between

two
ponds.

can't advise about flies, but if you catch any and don't keep them,

you
don't know nothin' bout eatin no damn fish, boy.
\

Got a good recipe?

--riverman

(who ain't admittin' nothin')

Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:44 PM
Wayne Harrison

"riverman" wrote Got a good recipe?

--riverman

(who ain't admittin' nothin')

since they have delicate and somewhat bland flesh, i recommend any of
your favorite, lighter base marinade, sauteed or grilled.

yfitons
wayno (god only knows what wolfgang would do to the damn things...)

Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:49 PM
rw

riverman wrote:

Got a good recipe?

http://ag.arizona.edu/azaqua/ista/recipes.htm

Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:49 PM
Wolfgang

"riverman" wrote in message
Anyone know what they feed on, in general, and what flies would work

on
them? I found a great (stocked) pond about 5 km from me, and they were
making huge swirlies all over, especially in the muddy channel between

two
ponds.

can't advise about flies, but if you catch any and don't keep them,

you
don't know nothin' bout eatin no damn fish, boy.
\

Got a good recipe?

--riverman

(who ain't admittin' nothin')

How many do you need?

Generally speaking, most white-fleshed fish are pretty much interchangeable
for most recipes. Yes, there are exceptions, but tilapia will work very
well for just about anything you want to do with it.

That said, if you really do still need a recipe, I can supply some.

Wolfgang

Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:06 PM
JR

riverman wrote:

Anyone know what they feed on, in general, and what flies would work on
them?

They're omnivorous; pretty much like little finny pigs--algae and all
sorts of other vegetative matter, insects, small fish. Most pond-raised
tilapia are fed pellets. Fish farmers in the Congo mainly feed them
agricultural produce (grain, grated cassava, etc.) ag. by-products, or
household and kitchen scraps. Suspended mosquito larvae imitations, small
PTs and small Adams will work. Be sure to pay the folks who own the pond.

JR
Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:08 PM
Wolfgang

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message

"riverman" wrote Got a good recipe?

--riverman

(who ain't admittin' nothin')

since they have delicate and somewhat bland flesh, i recommend any of
your favorite, lighter base marinade, sauteed or grilled.

yfitons
wayno (god only knows what wolfgang would do to the damn things...)

I'd grind thém up with somé kétchup y lémon juicé and slathér thé wholé méss
on a Él pan dé carné con la salsa dé tilapia.

Wolfgang

Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:14 PM
riverman

"JR" wrote in message
riverman wrote:

Anyone know what they feed on, in general, and what flies would work on
them?

They're omnivorous; pretty much like little finny pigs--algae and all
sorts of other vegetative matter, insects, small fish. Most pond-raised
tilapia are fed pellets. Fish farmers in the Congo mainly feed them
agricultural produce (grain, grated cassava, etc.) ag. by-products, or
household and kitchen scraps. Suspended mosquito larvae imitations, small
PTs and small Adams will work. Be sure to pay the folks who own the pond.

Thanks. I read on a SA website that flies tied to look like corn worked
well, but that seemed a bit....unethical. I definately paid and will
continue to pay the pond owners: its a little R&R spot about 5 km out of
town called "Symphonie Naturelles", and they charge 1000CF to enter and
another 1000CF to fish, your gear or theirs, C&R or C&K (at the current rate
of 380CF = $1). They have a website that a search will find, I can't link
you to it because our internet server is down. I have no idea why I can
access the groups in the meantime.

Uhm, mfitons, if they are a generically interchangable bland-fleshed
whitefish, why would releasing them mean I don't know nothing about eating
fish? Doesn't sound like anything special to me at all, except a smelly
car.

--riverman

Old November 23rd, 2003, 10:16 PM
riverman

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message

"riverman" wrote Got a good recipe?

--riverman

(who ain't admittin' nothin')

since they have delicate and somewhat bland flesh, i recommend any

of
your favorite, lighter base marinade, sauteed or grilled.

yfitons
wayno (god only knows what wolfgang would do to the damn things...)

I'd grind thém up with somé kétchup y lémon juicé and slathér thé wholé

méss
on a Él pan dé carné con la salsa dé tilapia.

Hmmm, sounds somewhat South of el Bordero, for some réasoné.

--riohombre