Leaky wader question

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Leaky wader question

My waders are seeping near the ankles, but I'm not entirely certain
that its the ankle seams. Is it common or likely that the neoprene
that the booties are made from can leak? I've been pretty careful
about not stressing them (pulling them off wrong, etc), but I know the
top of the ankles can take a beating from gravel, etc.

--riverman
Old June 14th, 2009, 11:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Stig Arne Bye

riverman wrote:

My waders are seeping near the ankles, but I'm not entirely certain
that its the ankle seams. Is it common or likely that the neoprene
that the booties are made from can leak? I've been pretty careful
about not stressing them (pulling them off wrong, etc), but I know the
top of the ankles can take a beating from gravel, etc.

Although there could be a tiny hole in the neoprene material itself,
it's usually the seams that leak.

To find the leak, you may use the following method I've use myself and
that may reveal even small leaks:

Pull the waders inside-out, and make sure the inside are completly dry.
Then, fill the waders with water up to above where you suspect the leak
to be. Hang the waders up and carefully watch where you can see water
seeping through and forming a wet spot on the material. Because of the
gravity, the leak is usually found close to the top of the wet spot.

Stig Arne Bye

E-mail ......: /
Contact .....: MSN Messenger:

Snail-Mail ..: Axel Borgens veg 4, NO-9900 Kirkenes, Norway
Homepage ....: UNDER CONSTRUCTION:
http://stigbye.football.clubs.io
Located just about 70°N 30°E - Almost at the top of the world!
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 02:12:25 -0700 (PDT), riverman
wrote:

My waders are seeping near the ankles, but I'm not entirely certain
that its the ankle seams. Is it common or likely that the neoprene
that the booties are made from can leak? I've been pretty careful
about not stressing them (pulling them off wrong, etc), but I know the
top of the ankles can take a beating from gravel, etc.

Waders seeping? Leaky waders? What the hell are leaky waders? Oh, I
bet you don't have a pair of Simm's G3s. Yeah, I guess there is such
a thing as leaky waders if you have something else. Buy a set of G3s
and say "good bye" to all your wader problems.

Maine is cold and wet. In my fourth week at Lakewood. Fishing has
been wonderful using Harry Mason's Killer Caddis, and size 18 - 22
nymphs, especially soft hackle ones. Did some streamer fishing this
afternoon - unusual for me. Took a decent trout (about 18 inches) and
a salmon about the same size. Strange not seeing the take.

Buy the G3s, Myron. Spend some of those hundreds of thousands of U.S.
dollars those rich folks are paying you. d;o)

Say the word and I'll meet ya at South Arm.

Old June 15th, 2009, 01:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

wrote:
[...]

Dave

Somehow, I knew you and your G3s would be near the top of this thread,
Dave. :-)

I've looked at them, but unfortunately my travel plans go from HK to
Sweden, then to Maine. G3s in Skelleftea (where I'm meeting Roger) run
about $650US....close to twice what they'd cost in the US. So I'm
going to try to make the current pair of Orvis waders last for my
month in Scandahoovia, then I might buy a pair when I get to the US.
The cost-benefit problem is that I really only get to fish about once
or twice a year while I live in HK...the month in Sweden represents
the bulk of my fishing for the year. Buying new waders at the end of
the month doesn't really make sense.

Meanwhile, wanna meet and fish the Rapid sometime during the window of
July 13-20? I'm still blocking out my schedule, and that would be a
great thing to do. :-)

--riverman
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:49:46 -0700 (PDT), riverman
wrote:

Meanwhile, wanna meet and fish the Rapid sometime during the window of
July 13-20? I'm still blocking out my schedule, and that would be a
great thing to do. :-)

You're on. Let me check with Maureen -- they close for a couple of
weeks in July. I've had to cancel a day or two here and there over
the past month due to business and family, so I owe them about 4 days.
July would be perfect.

The weather has been cold so the river should fish well all the way to
the middle of July. No need for waders then --- summer will be here
(hopefully!).

Get back to ya on it.

Old June 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Vaughan Hurry

riverman wrote:
My waders are seeping near the ankles, but I'm not entirely certain
that its the ankle seams. Is it common or likely that the neoprene
that the booties are made from can leak? I've been pretty careful
about not stressing them (pulling them off wrong, etc), but I know the
top of the ankles can take a beating from gravel, etc.

--riverman

I'll just bet you have Orvis Clearwater's? Pick them up, ball them up,
and throw them as far from you as you can and don't ever go pick them
back up!

I bought a pair of those, they started leaking around the ankles near
the end of the first season (I was using wrap-around ankle guards).
Orvis replaced 'em for "free". The 2nd pair started to leak less than
halfway through the next season. It did not matter where I glued them,
they still seeped. I assumed it was the neoprene that was leaking on the
2nd pair but I don't really know, water came in everywhere. I did not
bother to send them back.......... I bought a pair of Simms and this
will be season 7 and they're still fine.

I guess it is a bit late to mail-order a pair of proper waders, given
you will be here Wednesday and all.....

/Vaughan
Old June 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"riverman" wrote in message
My waders are seeping near the ankles, but I'm not entirely certain
that its the ankle seams. Is it common or likely that the neoprene
that the booties are made from can leak? I've been pretty careful
about not stressing them (pulling them off wrong, etc), but I know the
top of the ankles can take a beating from gravel, etc.

--riverman

I've also see the neoprene compress on the bottom of the booties and start
seeping water. Replacing the entire neoprene boot is the only fix.

JT

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

Now why would he do that? Even Simms says there are much better waders out
there - in fact, they've had to make changes to the G3s just so they'd still be
_almost_ as good as the better waders...

HTH,
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jun 15, 2:42*pm, Vaughan Hurry
wrote:
riverman wrote:
[...]

Yeah and a bit late to toss the Orvis waders. I'll need them this
month. If I can't stop the seeping at the ankles, I'm thinking of
wearing plastic bags over my feet, between the socks and the waders.
We'll see....last time I checked the leak was very slow. Only one wet
spot around my ankles. But I'm game for replacing these.

--riverman
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Melvin Robinson

I'm no expert on waders, but my fly fishing group had a wader expert
talk at a meeting. He said that filling waders with water and lifting
them up stresses the seams and causes leaks. Makes sense, that's a
lot of weight. Suggestion by that guy for finding leaks in gortex
waders is to wipe them down with rubbing alcohol. Leaks show up as
dark spots and areas, which you then put wader repair stuff on. When
the alcohol dries, the spots go away, so their not permanent.

Don't know if it works with neoprene.

Mel