Snit

Old September 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Snit

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:19:50 -0500, Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Bill Grey wrote:
Ken Fortenberry writes:
When you order a Bloody Mary on a Sunday morning in Minnesota
it comes with a snit.
Snit = 3ozs of beer.
Yeah, I know what a snit is, I just had one this morning
and I get one every time I order a Bloody Mary in Minnesota.

What I want to know is, how did a little glass of beer come
to be known as a snit ? I mean the definition you posted,
which is obviously correct, is not in any of my dictionaries
of American English. And my OED is at home.

Is it something they only do with Bloody Marys -

So far as I know. The Bloody Mary and the mimosa are about
the only mixed drinks I ever order for breakfast and I've
never had a mimosa served with a snit. They don't put the
beer *in* the Bloody Mary btw, it's served as a chaser.

A lot of places serve the tomato juice (and other potential ingredients - lime,
salt, salsas (hot sauces, not chip dip), etc.) on the side so the mes, er, drink
can be made to imbiber's tastes, although this, IME, is done more with the beer
than the beer-based cocktails/drinks.

if so, that sounds like some
weird version of a preparada/Michelada, the "Mexican" (really, much of the
Hispanic New World) beer and tomato juice drink, ala that ****-in-a-can from
Bud, "Chelada" (Bud and Clamato). There is a Mexican, Costa Rican, etc. drink
that's like a Bloody Mary, but with beer and tequila or beer and cacique/guaro -
is there any chance of this being an influence?

I would guess that any influences would be Nordic or Scandinavian
rather than Mexican.

You might be surprised. First, these concoctions aren't just Mexican, they come
from much of the south-of-the-US-border Americas. IAC, you never know where
such influence might be seen. For example, Mississippi has a "tamale trail" and
there may well be more homemade tamale places _per capita_ in MS than there are
in any other US state (may not be, too - I haven't counted...). It is the
result of migrant farm workers in the early 20th century teaching the cheap,
easily made and stored "stuffed tamale" to black farm workers, where it was
picked up by, well, just about everyone in the Delta. It then spread to the
other areas, like the Gulf Coast. It would likely be strange for someone
unfamiliar with this to stop in, say, Greenville, MS, and see things like fried
chicken, smothered steak, greens, "yams," and homemade pork tamales on many
menus, or, if they were driving around the state, to see all sorts of "tamale
stands." I'll leave the "Lou-Dobbs-doesn't-know-WTF-he's talking-about" to
another time...

That said, I would agree that Mexico is not the most likely source for this. It
could also just be called a "snit" because, well, it is - somebody made up the
name, it stuck, and now, the explanation is that it is called a snit because
"that's what it has always been called."

TC,
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Bill Grey wrote:
Ken Fortenberry writes:
[...]

Well.......gosh.

giles
who might be surprised......or not.
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 8-Sep-2009, Giles wrote:

giles
who might be surprised......or not.

Useful commentary eh?

A snit Isn't that the same as a sniveling pos -
Similar in smell to goat ****

Hambone
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Sep 9, 10:08*am, "Fred" wrote:
On *8-Sep-2009, Giles wrote:

giles
who might be surprised......or not.

Useful commentary eh?

Exactly. I didn't think so either. However, the important question
remains.....why didn't you just tell him so yourself? Scared?

*A snit Isn't that the same as a sniveling pos -

No, it isni't the same thing at all. You should study English.

Similar in smell to goat ****

Non sequitur. Moron?

Hambone

Asshole.

g.

Old September 14th, 2009, 05:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 12-Sep-2009, Giles wrote:

*A snit Isn't that the same as a sniveling pos -

No, it isni't the same thing at all. You should study English.

Similar in smell to goat ****

Non sequitur. Moron?

Hambone

Asshole.

g.

John Barth's goatboy in person!
I must have rattled the ****er aka Wolf****

Hey Goatboy when you were younger did shepherds take you from the rear?

Jagoff fool!

Dick Cheney
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Sep 13, 11:00*pm, "Fred" wrote:
On 12-Sep-2009, Giles wrote:

*A snit Isn't that the same as a sniveling pos -

No, it isni't the same thing at all. *You should study English.

Similar in smell to goat ****

Non sequitur. *Moron?

Hambone

Asshole.

g.

John Barth's goatboy in person!

Barth's Goatboy is a fictional character. Are you frequently
bedevilled by fictional characters?

I must have rattled the ****er aka Wolf****

Your prowess is legendary. You know this. This is why you feel the
way you do.....right?

Hey Goatboy when you were younger did shepherds take you from the rear?

No shepherds in this part of the world. Nor, for that matter, do I
often encounter anyone around here whose inevitable response to
consternation is homoerotic ideation.

Jagoff fool!

Dick Cheney

Do you dream of penises a lot......or is this primarily a daytime
obsession?

g.

Old September 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 14-Sep-2009, Giles wrote:

I must have rattled the ****er aka Wolf****

Your prowess is legendary. You know this. This is why you feel the
way you do.....right?

Actually Wofgang o goatboy I don't really give a rats ad ass about you
This will be my last commuciation w you . You are not worth the bother

I think that you are a self impressed piece of **** be it goat**** or human
turd
You reek of it
So goat boy **** you and **** off!

plonk
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 12-Sep-2009, Giles wrote:

giles
who might be surprised......or not.

A ribald acerbic wit - eh?
But really still no sign of intelligent life
Nothing that I would want to read.

Good riddance Jocko!
plonk times 2

Yours truly
Wolfgang
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Sep 14, 9:44*pm, "Fred" wrote:
On 12-Sep-2009, Giles wrote:

giles
who might be surprised......or not.

A ribald acerbic wit - eh?
But really still no sign of intelligent life
Nothing that I would want to read.

And yet, here you are.

Good riddance Jocko!
plonk times 2

Ah! The kennie gambit! Cover your eyes and shriek: YOU CAN'T SEE
ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU
CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE
ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU
CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE
ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME! YOU CAN'T SEE ME!

Yours truly
Wolfgang

Forgery, would be my guess.

g.

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Sep 14, 8:32*am, "Fred" wrote:
On 14-Sep-2009, Giles wrote:

I must have rattled the ****er aka Wolf****

Your prowess is legendary. *You know this. *This is why you feel the
way you do.....right?

Actually Wofgang o goatboy I don't really give a rats ad ass about you

Ad in....ad out.....ad ass.....tennis or penis player?

This will be my last commuciation w you .

Uh huh.

You are not worth the bother

Could have told you that. Would have. All you had to do was ask.

I think that you are a self impressed *piece of **** be it goat**** or human
turd

I confess that I sometimes impress myself, but only exceedingly rarely
has anyone here noted (or, at least, remarked on any of those very
rare ocassions. Not a complaint, mind you.....that only makes it the
more delicious.

You reek of it

Like I care......right?

So goat boy **** you and **** off!

It's not so much the (admittedly metaphorical) blood and guts that
make it all worthwhile.....it's the pain and the twisted
features.

plonk

oh. ouch.

g.