Single Malts

Old September 21st, 2009, 05:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

Default Single Malts

Until this Spring I regarded some fishermens' attachment to single
malt whisk(e)y with the bemused detachmentt I reserve for people who
have let themselves be drawn into the fashionable and trendy.
Peppermint schnapps, beer and Wild Turkey were good enough for me and
pish on all those swells who name dropped boozes with long names and
large price tags.

Then I was allowed to taste some quarter cask Lamphroaig in April
along with some ridiculously expensive 38 year Scotch. Oh oh.

I bought a bottle of 10 year old Lamphroaig a few months ago and have
consumed about 3/4 of it in that time. The other day I came across a
bottle of Irish 1995 Knappogue Castle single malt on sale, and while
different than the Lamphroaig, I found myself really liking that too.

So my question to the ROFFians here is what else is there that is
tasty and less than $50/bottle? Anyone have a favorite? Does this make
me another elite, snobbish, flyfishing poseur, the kind I used to pity
and mock? And how should I feel about that?

?

Geo. C.
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Sep 20, 11:14*pm, George Cleveland
wrote:

...So my question to the ROFFians here is what else is there that is
tasty and less than $50/bottle? Anyone have a favorite?

Can't help you with those questions. But if you get any good tips and
aren't able to find the stuff, I can probably get it here and send it
on up.

Does this make
me another elite, snobbish, flyfishing poseur, the kind I used to pity
and mock?

Well, no, not in and of itself.....but when you add in the silk tent
and curtains, the pretentious cars, the domestic staff and all the
rest.....

And how should I feel about that?

Deeply ashamed.

You going to Avalanche this year? Or did that already happen?

g.
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

George Cleveland wrote:
snip
So my question to the ROFFians here is what else is there that is
tasty and less than $50/bottle? Anyone have a favorite?

I like the Caol Ila 12 year old. It's an Islay single malt like
Laphroaig and Lagavulin but its peatiness is more understated
and mellow. Bowmore is another good Islay and closer to that
price point.

You could spend the rest of your life tasting all the Speyside
single malts. Aberlour, Cardhu, Macallan are all good Speyside
single malts. In the less expensive Speyside category I like
Knockando 12 year old and Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old.

Does this make
me another elite, snobbish, flyfishing poseur, the kind I used to pity
and mock?

But of course, old chap.

And how should I feel about that?

You should feel like lighting up a very nice Cuban cigar to
enjoy with that wee bit of the malt.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
George Cleveland

wrote:

...So my question to the ROFFians here is what else is there that is
tasty and less than $50/bottle? Anyone have a favorite?

Can't help you with those questions. But if you get any good tips and
aren't able to find the stuff, I can probably get it here and send it
on up.

Does this make
me another elite, snobbish, flyfishing poseur, the kind I used to pity
and mock?

Well, no, not in and of itself.....but when you add in the silk tent
and curtains, the pretentious cars, the domestic staff and all the
rest.....

And how should I feel about that?

Deeply ashamed.

You going to Avalanche this year? Or did that already happen?

g.

For the first time in 9 years we're skipping Avalanche. There isn't
anything 'official' planned but some of the Boyz are going to be there
next weekend and Jacci has to work. I'm going to miss a last go round
with the Kickapoo browns.

While it looks like work is going to kick into high gear soon I'm
still thinking about trying to make it to one of the Lake Michigan
feeders to try for stockers. Of course we'll need some rain first.
Nothing up here for 23 days.

Geo.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

George Cleveland wrote:
[...]

glenmorangie 18 yr, mccallan 18 yr... and forget the bucks...your boy
can wear that winter coat one more season and you'll be the warmer for it.

....and in answer to the last two questions... yes ...satisfied,
deserving, and charitable toward your friends in carolina.

jeff
Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

wrote:

[...]

Oddly enough, I've gone by there several times in the past couple of
months.....on the way to and from a friend's place just outside of
Sparta. Didn't stop to fish, though.

While it looks like work is going to kick into high gear soon I'm
still thinking about trying to make it to one of the Lake Michigan
feeders to try for stockers.

Pale sport, if you ask me. But, yeah, it's something that has to be
done once in a while.

Of course we'll need some rain first.
Nothing up here for 23 days.

We got some showers here last night.....desperately needed and not
enough. Should borrow some from Georgia. Hm......ya s'pose old T-
Bone had the right idea after all?

g.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR[_4_]

jeff wrote:
George Cleveland wrote:
Until this Spring I regarded some fishermens' attachment to single
malt whisk(e)y .....

glenmorangie 18 yr, mccallan 18 yr... and forget the bucks...your boy
can wear that winter coat one more season and you'll be the warmer for it.

...and in answer to the last two questions... yes ...satisfied,
deserving, and charitable toward your friends in carolina.

Slightly tangential..... read today on Twitter:

"Teach a man to fish and he'll learn how to drink."

- JR

Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mr.rapidan

tasty and less than $50/bottle? Anyone have a favorite? Does this make
me another elite, snobbish, flyfishing poseur, the kind I used to pity

You don't have to be snobby to realize that it's a heck of a lot
easier carrying 3 nights worth of single malt than 3 nights worth of
beer into the mountains on a flyfishing / backpacking trip. And it's
a nice feeling to cut the whisky with water from the stream you're
camping next to as you're sitting around in the glow of the candle
lanterns and shooting the breeze with your pals.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Denis Lamy[_2_]

George Cleveland a écrit :

I bought a bottle of 10 year old Lamphroaig a few months ago and have
consumed about 3/4 of it in that time. The other day I came across a
bottle of Irish 1995 Knappogue Castle single malt on sale, and while
different than the Lamphroaig, I found myself really liking that too.

I can't say what is available in your regional market, but here are some
good sites for you:
http://scotchsinglemalt.com/
http://www.scotchwhisky.net/

I do prefer Bowmore, GlenIllitch & GlenFidditch to Laphroig. The
peatiness of the Laphroig does not appeal that much to me.

Add a good cigar, preferably a Cubban cigar, and you're definitely on
the downslope to the dark side. ;-)

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

"Teach a man to fish and he'll learn how to drink."

POTM!!! I think that's my new sig line!
Frank Reid