OT- Semper Paratus

Old September 24th, 2009, 07:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default OT- Semper Paratus

On Sep 23, 5:25*pm, George Cleveland
wrote:
My 23 year old son Sam came back from Minneapolis yesterday from two
days of testing and will be inducted into the U.S. Coast Guard in late
December. He did well on his ASVAB (scoring one point higher than the
recruiter did on his) and passed his physical with the exception of
needing to drop a little weight before December. After that its off to
Cape May, NJ.

Have to say I'm pretty proud of him for doing this. He is pumped and
excited about it. Jacci is worried. I suppose nothing unusual about
any of that.

Geo. C.

Congratulations. Ive a neice who is a career officer in the CG.
Apparently she is a lawyer/gunnery officer. Cape May is neat. If you
get back there be sure to visit the nearby "Down Jersey" area.

Old September 25th, 2009, 02:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:09:12 -0400, jeff wrote:

George Cleveland wrote:
My 23 year old son Sam came back from Minneapolis yesterday from two
days of testing and will be inducted into the U.S. Coast Guard in late
December. He did well on his ASVAB (scoring one point higher than the
recruiter did on his) and passed his physical with the exception of
needing to drop a little weight before December. After that its off to
Cape May, NJ.

Have to say I'm pretty proud of him for doing this. He is pumped and
excited about it. Jacci is worried. I suppose nothing unusual about
any of that.

Geo. C.

if he's assigned to duty in nc, let me know. i'm relatively close to
most of the CG stations on the coast, and will be happy to assist in any
local supervision Jacci thinks necessary. G

jeff (Hon. Discharged Lt.,USNR...and a nation was grateful for that fact)

Um...what makes you so sure the nation was all that concerned about what branch
of service, rank or whether it was "Hon." or not...?

Seriously, though, the offer of assistance in such situations is, IMO, a great
idea. If he winds up in any of the facilities down here on the LA/MS/AL coast
and needs anything, we'd be pleased to offer any help we can. That said, thanks
and congratulations to you all.

TC,
....and as I'm sure it does with jeffie, the same goes for any other kids (or
other family, etc.) down thisaway...and ya know, jeff, I have no idea why -
really, I don't - but for some reason, Ensign Pulver popped into my mind. If it
matters, I liked both the character and Jack Lemmon...you didn't put any marbles
any place you shouldn't have, did you...?
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Sep 24, 9:10*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
MajorOz wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Well, the Coast Guard is a better gig than getting your ass shot
off in Afghanistan but still, it is sort of a military thing
isn't it ?

Betchur ass. ...

Yeah, that's why I'm more inclined to offer condolences than
congratulations. But hey, that's why there's chocolate, vanilla
and Cherry Garcia.

And 4Fs.

Ken Fortenberry

Old September 25th, 2009, 12:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

George Cleveland wrote:
[...]

Pulver would be considered a career navy guy in my group (walter m was
in that movie too, no?)...as a staff JAG Corps dumbass, i spent my time
in newport r.i. learning how to be an occifer (mainly learning how to
drink like a navy man, and how boilers in those big boats worked...and
all that saluting stuff...and what all those stripes or stars or other
stuff on the shoulder boards meant...and, well, we won't talk about the
marching) with a bunch of other dumbass law students...class taught by a
harvard grad who was conflicted about the service and us, while in the
fog of
"gravity's rainbow". fortunately, the america's cup trials were ongoing
at the time and the country was kept safe from our idiocy and mischief
by simply diverting our attention to all the boats, blue bloods, and the
silk stocking set walking about newport. it truly was an eye-opener for
a stupid grit from the south. then did a summer in orlando taking
orders from a hardassed sob from chicago, and dodging lightning
storms...my best memories were from visits to the club juana mud
wrestling (got in trouble for fraternizing with enlisted
personnel...wtf???...not for visiting the vice-ridden establishment)...4
mos. active duty, then reserves...then discharged. it was scary i tell ya!!

did my real service as the son of a career marine for 24 years... that
was, um, interesting.

didn't ever have any marbles, literally or figuratively. still don't.

jeff (more info than necessary, i know...i think old age must make us
dribble from every opening)
Old September 26th, 2009, 03:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

George Cleveland wrote:
[...]

Best as I recall their were two movies with "Pulver," "Mister Roberts" (Henry
Fonda as Roberts, Jimmy Cagney as the Captain, as Lemmon as Pulver) and "Ensign
Pulver" (for some reason, I don't recall much about it other than Lemmon as
Pulver). He may have been in "Ensign Pulver," but I don't recall him in "Mister
Roberts."

as a staff JAG Corps dumbass, i spent my time
in newport r.i. learning how to be an occifer (mainly learning how to
drink like a navy man, and how boilers in those big boats worked...and
all that saluting stuff...and what all those stripes or stars or other
stuff on the shoulder boards meant...and, well, we won't talk about the
marching) with a bunch of other dumbass law students...class taught by a
harvard grad who was conflicted about the service and us, while in the
fog of
"gravity's rainbow". fortunately, the america's cup trials were ongoing
at the time and the country was kept safe from our idiocy and mischief
by simply diverting our attention to all the boats, blue bloods, and the
silk stocking set walking about newport. it truly was an eye-opener for
a stupid grit from the south.

Did ya ever make it to the White Horse Tavern?

then did a summer in orlando taking
orders from a hardassed sob from chicago, and dodging lightning
storms...my best memories were from visits to the club juana mud
wrestling (got in trouble for fraternizing with enlisted
personnel...wtf???...not for visiting the vice-ridden establishment)...4
mos. active duty, then reserves...then discharged. it was scary i tell ya!!

did my real service as the son of a career marine for 24 years... that
was, um, interesting.

didn't ever have any marbles, literally or figuratively. still don't.

jeff (more info than necessary, i know...i think old age must make us
dribble from every opening)

Aw, hell, if we can handle Louie bragging about his rubber-britches-retirement
plan, what's a little navel jelly....?

TC,
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charlie S

wrote:

jeff (Hon. Discharged Lt.,USNR...and a nation was grateful for that fact)

Grateful for the "Lt.,USNR" part or grateful for the "Discharged"
part? ;-D

Charlie S.
(retired Radioman of 20 yrs)
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

wrote:
jeff (Hon. Discharged Lt.,USNR...and a nation was grateful for that fact)

Grateful for the "Lt.,USNR" part or grateful for the "Discharged"
part? ;-D

Charlie S.
(retired Radioman of 20 yrs)

trust me charlie...you could hear the sighs of relief all over a
grateful nation that i was discharged...mine among them. i'm not made of
the sturdy stuff that so many others have as a fabric of their being. i
also had a "pat conroy" marine father...it was a difficult time for both
of us. the distance age, death, and more objective reflection
allow...not to mention the grim reality of the responsibility
undertaken...has raised my admiration for what he and others like you
volunteered to do. i wish i could have been worthy of the gratefulness
of others for my service, but i did nothing worthy or worthwhile during
my brief tenure in the navy. i should apologize, and do, for the time
and material wasted on me. i'm trying to do better now...

how's the fishing been this year? missed my trip out west, but i'm
gonna take a week off in mid-october and do a little sal****er fishing
on the nc coast.

jeff
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Charlie S

wrote:
[...]

I hear ya, Jeff. "They" were pretty happy when I got my 20! I was a
good radioman, but NOT a good petty officer! I knew my job well enough
that I didn't tolerate the idiots I answered to very well. More than
once, I got in deep because I called a moron a moron.

Fishing? Freshwater's been spotty; some times dead, some times really
good. Depends on where/when you go. I'm about to take a couple weeks
and go up to a friend's place in Granite Shoals (take a look on
GoogleEarth, but it won't tell you it was, just a few years ago, the
crystal meth capital of Texas). I was fishing the bank up there about
three weeks ago, and caught some really NICE 'gills and redears. I'm
taking my kayak when I go back.

Salt? LOTS of bull reds coming in at High Island (Bolivar Peninsula -
the one place that Ike really slammed). I hear there've been a few
snook down on the Laguna Madre (anywhere from Port Aransas to South
Padre.

Good luck in Nawth Cackalacky.
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Sep 29, 5:25*am, Charlie S wrote:

...LOTS of bull reds coming in at High Island (Bolivar Peninsula -
the one place that Ike really slammed).....

Slammed as in fished hard or slammed as in dissed? I know that Ike
was an avid fisherman....he had a couple of favorite streams up here
in Curdistan.

I'd never heard of High Island or the Bolivar Peninsula before about a
year and a half ago, and then I started monitoring a birding
listserve. Turns out this is a legendary hot spot for the spring
migrants coming across the gulf. Becky and I were a couple of weeks
early for the peak fallouts but had a marvellous time anyway. Got our
first good looks at many species resident in the area as well.

giles