Animal Planet? Western Howard County

Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Gene Cyprych

Default Animal Planet? Western Howard County

Monday evening I stop my car at the mailbox at the top of the driveway
to get my mail like I always do. *It's dark, about 8PM. *I hear an
animal cry about 40 feet from me. *A moon lit silhouette is now
walking towards me and I can hear hooves hitting the pavement. *Turns
out it's a goat. *A well fed goat that wants to smell me and hang out.
*Hang out with me in spite of me encouraging it to find it's way back
home. *I figured *he would eventually go away.
So, I drove my car down the drive and into the garage and told Sherry
*what happened. *She said we had to go out and capture it so it didn't
get hit by a car. *I thought, there's no way we are going to find this
goat even with a full moon. *I put my coat on, opened the door from
the pantry into the garage and thump, I hit the goat with door! *He
must have followed me down the driveway and decided he was house
broken so wanted to come in. *He had come up the 3 steps and was
waiting for me. *He had a collar so Sherry put a leash on him and
walked him around the yard while I went looking for the owner.
We did find the owner (the lady who cares for the place with 99
acres). *She had had an emergency with her dog that day and wasn't
able to lock the goat up. *The goat's name is Richard. *Anyway,
interesting animal story.

Gene
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Dec 22, 11:02*am, Gene Cyprych wrote:
[...]

Warning, goats like to climb. This is something that I learned 25+
years and a couple trucks ago from the dented hood and roof of my
vehicle after a couple played King of the Mountain on Toyota Mountain

Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Gene

On Dec 22, 7:13*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
[...]

Frank Reid- Hide quoted text -

Not chili, FAC- Freezing Ass Cold. It's been 15 plus degrees below
normal since the end of December.

Last winter we had 80 inches of snow. Average snowfall for Balt MD is
13. This summer we had more than 53 days over 90 degrees, average for
Balt MD = 29 days. Not good. I can fish in the high 40's but not in
the low 30's..
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Dec 22, 7:00*pm, Gene wrote:
[...]

the low 30's..- Hide quoted text -

Goat chili (and no, he doesn't need a coat).
Frank
(who's thinking something in a Chili Verde would be real nice)
Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Bowen[_2_]

On Dec 22, 2:02*pm, Gene Cyprych wrote:
[...]

Nice story Gene! Nice people do nice things it seems.
There are some who would have had the goat in for dinner, rather than
finding his rightful home--I won't mention any names mind ya.

Op -- Mostly jealous, 'cause I wouldn't begin to know how to prepare
goat chili--
Old December 24th, 2010, 01:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Dec 22, 8:33*pm, Mark Bowen wrote:
[...]

2 lbs. goat, cubed....about 1 inch.
6-8 anchos.
1 pasilla.
1 new mexico.
2 lbs. ripe tomato.
1 very large onion.
3-9 toes garlic.
1 tbsp cumin.
1 stick cinnamon.
1 tsp coriander seed.
1/2 tsp cardamom.
Sunflower/squash seeds to taste.....a couple of tbsp should do.
Pine nuts/almonds/walnuts/hazels/etc.....a couple of tbsp should do.
1 bunch cilantro.

Clean and soak chilis in the usual manner.....about an hour in hot
water.
Toast spices in a dry pan over medium heat.
Ditto nuts/seeds.
Cool and then grind spices in mortar and pestle.
Cool and then mash nuts/seeds in mortar and pestle.
Liquify chilis in food processor or blender.....use as much of soaking
liquid as necessary to achieve smooth consistency, as thick as
possible.
Add tomatoes (peeled or not.....I really don't care) and blend until
smooth.
Add liberal amount of fat to a pan .....lard is the classic, but just
about any fat will do. Olive oil works nicely.....and fry ground
spices for about 30-60 seconds over medium high heat.
Add chopped onion and garlic. Saute until translucent.

Meanwhile, brown the meat in liberal amount of fat.....see above.
Add meat and tomato/chili/spices to pan and bring to boil.
Simmer for 4-120 hours.

Serve with liberal quantity of coarsely chopped cilantro as garnish.
Add cheeselike substance of choice (blue is a really bad choice,
otherwise just about anything.....except really bad cheeses, like
colby or jack.....will do), and serve with breadlike substance of
choice.....avoid "flour tortillas" and other ersatz breadlike
substances.....otherwise, just about anything will do.

Real beer is a nice accompaniment. So is cheap wine.

giles
dessert.....well, that's not my problem.
Old December 24th, 2010, 01:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

giles
dessert.....well, that's not my problem.- Hide quoted text -

Chocolate goat fondue?
Frank Reid
Old December 24th, 2010, 01:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 17:09:03 -0800 (PST), Frank Reid © 2010
wrote:

giles
dessert.....well, that's not my problem.- Hide quoted text -

Chocolate goat fondue?
Frank Reid

We had 2 cute 80 to 100 lb nubian females They scared my grandkids w
their playful butting and when they ate my wife's garden they HAD to
go!
So I called Mild Fence in town and asked about fencing in gosts-
I was told "grill them in butter"

Men Who Stare At Goats
Old December 24th, 2010, 01:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Bowen[_2_]

On Dec 23, 8:01*pm, Giles wrote:
[...]

Great, ya gotta drink alcohol with it! Well that does it, no goat
chili for me.

Going on 7 years now, still on the sobriety kick :~^ )

Guess I'll have to stick with cold cereal--again.

Op