Allbright, Temple Fork Rods

Old January 19th, 2011, 01:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

Default Allbright, Temple Fork Rods

I may have to buy another 6 wt
My 6 wt Thomas and Thomas rod broke at the tip
The rod hass been discontinued and I may have to wait another 5 to 10
years on top of the 7 mos that I have already patiently waited.

I do not need a top of the line rod as this rod will be used by
guests, some inexperienced.

I bought an 8 wt TFO rod for Hawaii
It's a good rod and relatively inexpensive.

Does anyone have a critique of either rod?
Or can suggest another?

Thanks
Fred
Old January 19th, 2011, 01:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jan 18, 7:16*pm, flebow wrote:
I may have to buy another 6 wt
My *6 wt Thomas and Thomas rod broke at the tip
The rod hass been discontinued and I may have to wait another 5 to 10
years on top of the 7 mos that I have already patiently waited.

I do not need a top of the line rod *as this rod will be used by
guests, some inexperienced.

I bought an 8 wt TFO rod for Hawaii
It's a good rod and relatively inexpensive.

Does anyone have a critique of either rod?
Or can suggest another?

Thanks
Fred

I love the Albrights in the heavier weights (7 and up). Great rods.
Frank Reid
Old January 19th, 2011, 02:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 18, 5:16*pm, flebow wrote:
I may have to buy another 6 wt
My *6 wt Thomas and Thomas rod broke at the tip
The rod hass been discontinued and I may have to wait another 5 to 10
years on top of the 7 mos that I have already patiently waited.

I do not need a top of the line rod *as this rod will be used by
guests, some inexperienced.

I bought an 8 wt TFO rod for Hawaii
It's a good rod and relatively inexpensive.

Does anyone have a critique of either rod?
Or can suggest another?

Thanks
Fred

I have a $90 TFO 6 wt that is my stillwater rod of choice .. I have a
Scott and a custom made Stefen vying for that position, both cost much
more.

Busted the TFO once .... $25 dollars and a very short time later it
was back, good as new.

NOTE: you are not going to impress anyone with the finish quality of
the TFO but leave impressing to those big Bows in yer pond ;-)
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 17:31:43 -0800 (PST), Frank Reid © 2010
wrote:

On Jan 18, 7:16*pm, flebow wrote:
I may have to buy another 6 wt
My *6 wt Thomas and Thomas rod broke at the tip
The rod hass been discontinued and I may have to wait another 5 to 10
years on top of the 7 mos that I have already patiently waited.

I do not need a top of the line rod *as this rod will be used by
guests, some inexperienced.

I bought an 8 wt TFO rod for Hawaii
It's a good rod and relatively inexpensive.

Does anyone have a critique of either rod?
Or can suggest another?

Thanks
Fred

I love the Albrights in the heavier weights (7 and up). Great rods.
Frank Reid

So you do not like the rods below 7 wt? like a six wt o you don't
know the rods?

Thanks
Fred
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 18:10:55 -0800 (PST), Larry L
wrote:

On Jan 18, 5:16*pm, flebow wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info
I asm leaning toward a TFO but perhaps someone will critique both
ofthese rods further
I have till mid April Ice out.

and btw

Its a full fledged 20 acre 30-70 ft deep lake trout lake and
You are right there is no reason to impress anyone the fish will do
that
I just need a functional decent rod under $200
2 piece would do

Fred
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave Grant[_2_]

wrote:

On Jan 18, 5:16 pm, flebow wrote:
[...]

I've heard a lot of good things about the Ross rods recently. Haven't used
one myself, but a friend of mine has and really likes the Essence FW. If
you catch it on sale at Cabela's, you might be just under the $200 mark.

Old January 19th, 2011, 05:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 18, 9:18*pm, flebow wrote:

and btw

Its a full fledged 20 acre *30-70 ft deep lake trout lake and

Didn't mean to slight your place ... "pond" is a more affectionate
term than lake ...imho ;-)

I just need a functional decent rod under $200
2 piece would do

My TFO is the 2 piece .... story of how it came to join my army of
rods

I was fishing a large lake ( ... it used to be a pond back when it
was still a favored destination ;-) in NorCal with the Scott. I
tripped on my force Fins getting out of the tube, fell, and broke the
Scott. I was scheduled to be there another week and the only other
rods I had were much lighter ones that I use on streams. So, I got
in the truck and drove 60 miles to the Hardware/Sporting Goods store
where they had the TFO. I bought it thinking I was getting a
disposable rod or back-up. Turns out I like it a lot. I paid well
over $100 to get the Scott repaired but still use the TFO and now
think of the Scott as "back-up."

If you are buying for guests you can't possibly pick an action they
will like most, it will vary from guest to guest. As for bang for
the buck, I don't think you can beat the TFO ... ah with a stick ....
of any name.
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

wrote:
On Jan 18, 7:16 pm, flebow wrote:
I may have to buy another 6 wt
My 6 wt Thomas and Thomas rod broke at the tip
The rod hass been discontinued and I may have to wait another 5 to 10
years on top of the 7 mos that I have already patiently waited.

I do not need a top of the line rod as this rod will be used by
guests, some inexperienced.

I bought an 8 wt TFO rod for Hawaii
It's a good rod and relatively inexpensive.

Does anyone have a critique of either rod?
Or can suggest another?

Thanks
Fred

I love the Albrights in the heavier weights (7 and up). *Great rods.
Frank Reid

So you do not like the rods below 7 wt? like a six wt o *you don't
know the rods?

Thanks
Fred- Hide quoted text -

I've got one of their cheap 5wts. It was a "free with purchase"
deal. Never casted it. I've found that you can generally understand
a series of rods by casting a 4 or 5 for up through a 6/7 wt and
casting an 8 for the 7 wt on up. I like the heavier rods so much I
have an 8, 9 and 10.
Frank Reid
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:20:53 -0700, "Dave Grant"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Jan 18, 5:16 pm, flebow wrote:
[...]

I own a couple of heavier wts
8 & 9 wt Ross reels- sal****er - I like them.

I also own 2-3 Lamsons (now Waterworks)
and I own some Waterworks reels that are quite functional

I use the Waterworks reels on rods for guests

I thought that Ross was sold or was it only Lamson?
Perhasps someone knows more than i do about this.

Fred
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:05:29 -0800 (PST), Larry L
wrote:

Didn't mean to slight your place ... "pond" is a more affectionate
term than lake ...imho ;-)

No offense taken.

Its amazing that we have this lake entirely on our property.

We take care of it as it is such a fragile envronment
and the lake takes care of us.

We allow no other boats on the lake except our 3, no organic bait,
barbless hooks and aluminum shot and we expect people to respect the
land and fish. -

We have all this and extra rods for guests (I prefer using my Sage
rods - myself)
And most improtantly - we share this lake w friends
(I like rivers)

After `10 yrs and several pumps - we have the fish breeding
They are NOT angler wary

Fred