Fly Tying Magnification

Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

Default Fly Tying Magnification

Okay, been tying size 24 dandruff flies, things like a zebra midge or
miracle midge. Even got some size 22 flashback pheasant tails.
I can put the leader on these with one of those magnetic gizmos that
stands the fly up and gives you a slot to push the tippet through.
http://www.riverbum.com/2020-Magnetic-Tippet-Threader/ Actually works
fairly well. Alternately, I can use a threader flybox.
However, how the hell do you see to tie one of these little *******s?
I got it made, personally, as my dentist gave me an old pair of these,
http://www.designsforvision.com/DentHtml/D-TTL1.htm Then I found out
the cost between 500 and a thousand dollars!!! He had some old ones
in his drawer that he didn't use, as the new ones have a light. They
give you an area of about 3" at 2.5 or 3X magnification.
Found out you can get something similiar for about 15 bucks if you go
to ebay:
Listed in category: Bread Crumb LinkJewelry & Watches Jewelry Design
& Repair Tools Loupes, Magnifiers

For those of us that are getting just a year or two older, this might
help. I know the ones I have may look geeky, but what the hell, I can
see.
Frank Reid
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
riverman

stands the fly up and gives you a slot to push the tippet through.http://www.riverbum.com/2020-Magneti...ader/*Actually works
I got it made, personally, as my dentist gave me an old pair of these,http://www.designsforvision.com/Dent...-TTL1.htm*Then I found out
the cost between 500 and a thousand dollars!!! *He had some old ones
in his drawer that he didn't use, as the new ones have a light. *They
give you an area of about 3" at 2.5 or 3X magnification.
Found out you can get something similiar for about 15 bucks if you go
to ebay:
Listed in category: Bread Crumb LinkJewelry & Watches Jewelry Design
& Repair Tools Loupes, Magnifiers

For those of us that are getting just a year or two older, this might
help. *I know the ones I have may look geeky, but what the hell, I can
see.
Frank Reid

I'm thinking one of these will be my next expensive fly tying
purchase:
http://tinyurl.com/4c3sq9u

--riverman
Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

On 1/22/2011 6:53 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
snipped, about magnification

seems an AWFULLY expensive way to go. The McKenzie magnifier is around
60 bucks, as I recall, and works fine. I now wear glasses to read, so
clearly, I am dealing with the same vision issues. I see no reason at
all to seek out a multi-hundred dollar solution, nor wear something that
is head-mounted while tying. YMMV, but the McKenzie is worth a
look-see(no pun intended....)
Tom
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jan 23, 6:11*am, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 1/22/2011 6:53 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
snipped, about magnification

seems an AWFULLY expensive way to go. The McKenzie magnifier is around
60 bucks, as I recall, and works fine. I now wear glasses to read, so
clearly, I am dealing with the same vision issues. I see no reason at
all to seek out a multi-hundred dollar solution, nor wear something that
is head-mounted while tying. YMMV, but the McKenzie is worth a
look-see(no pun intended....)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

I'm not recommending the multi hundred dollar solution.
There are some on ebay similar to what I'm using for about 15 bucks.
Frank Reid
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

On 1/23/2011 8:19 AM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Tom
I'm not recommending the multi hundred dollar solution.
There are some on ebay similar to what I'm using for about 15 bucks.
Frank Reid

do you prefer the headpiece approach to a flex-arm lens? If so, why?
I've tried both, Frank, and just find the head-mounted magnification
unpleasant. Perhaps, I just didn't take the necessary time to adjust to
it, but I just didn't like the feel of it. Personally, I prefer to see
most of the world at normal scale, and get my 4x magnification only when
I am focused on vise and hook.
Tom

Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jan 23, 7:47*am, Tom Littleton wrote:
On 1/23/2011 8:19 AM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom
I I'm not recommending the multi hundred dollar solution.
There are some on ebay similar to what I'm using for about 15 bucks.
Frank Reid

do you prefer the headpiece approach to a flex-arm lens? If so, why?
I've tried both, Frank, and just find the head-mounted magnification
unpleasant. Perhaps, I just didn't take the necessary time to adjust to
it, but I just didn't like the feel of it. Personally, I prefer to see
most of the world at normal scale, and get my 4x magnification only when
I am focused on vise and hook.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

Thats why I like the ones I have. They are "through the lens"
magnification. Its almost like a bifocal, a VERY strong bifocal. The
rest of the lens is plain glass. I can look through at the vise
without having anything in the way. I'm getting more and more used
the NorVise. This would require me to have a magnifier for a space
about 10 inches across, as I use the dubbing brush making capabilities
a lot.
So all in all, having something that will move with my head works
well.
Frank Reid
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 22, 3:53*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
[...]

I use the mag-eyes deals, use the same lens as Hat -eyes

As Tom suggests, it takes some getting used to having something on
your head, but not that much.

I've tried the magnifier/lite on an arm deal and find that harder to
get used to, personally

NOTE: my 'dandruff' flies are NOT very detailed, so in some cases I
just use the same old cheater glasses I use for all tying and kinda
work by feel

FURTHER NOTE:
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 23, 9:55*am, Larry L wrote:

FURTHER NOTE:

Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
flebow[_2_]

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 15:53:59 -0800 (PST), Frank Reid © 2010
wrote:

& Repair Tools Loupes, Magnifiers

For those of us that are getting just a year or two older, this might
help. I know the ones I have may look geeky, but what the hell, I can
see.
Frank Reid

Unfortinately I gave up a long time ago w anything but sal****er flies
anything smaller than a 12 for me is out.

Have any of you tried the Clics?

I use them for reading and on the strean when threading line thru the
eye of a small fly.

Inexoenssive - lightweight and easy to use.

http://www.speert.com/reading-glasse...FQEMbAoddXlhJQ

There are quite a few other places

Fred
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L[_2_]

On Jan 23, 9:55*am, Larry L wrote:

Hit some key and got posted before I was done !

FURTHER NOTE:

I have come to believe that in tiny flies the EXACT amount of tiny is
usually the most important trait of successful flies ( at least in
selective periods ) and that including the eye of the hook in your
overall size can pay dividends .... as can using a very small
knot .... so if you carry a short piece of Metric ruler
( suggested ) and measure your natural, tie at least some of your
imitations where that measurement is not the shank length but the eye
and shank length, or at least a compromise

As I said, I currently believe that size is usually THE important
trait in tiny imitations and that includes 'fatness' ... sparse is
almost always better and in many cases 'sparse enough' is impossible
since the hook and a wrap of 8/0 is already too fat...

LAST NOTE: I don't think this is too important in 'searching' tiny
flies, little nymphs ala the San Juan .... I'm thinking of actual
hatch periods, midges and baetis, mainly .... flash back ... I was
fishing the Big Lost, sight nymphing with a red tailed Copper John ...
I guy came along as I was landing a fish and asked what I was
using ..... I told him and he replied that he was fishing one too,
with a bobber .... next bit is the flash-back ... and "the smaller fly
I use the bigger the fish I seem to catch" ..... IMHO a seine sample
of the BL shows why, even in non-hatch times it can pay to give
something they are used to seeing and eating...doh, of course