Mosquitoes so big........

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

Default Mosquitoes so big........

....... they have to kneel to bite you! And the black flies are the
worse I have ever seen. Add to that the fact that the river is running
at flood stage (8000 cfs when I got here on Sunday), and it equals a
miserable trip..... Well, not really.

Although there are few places to wet a fly on the river, it is
uncrowded. The high flows keep the locals from walking/biking in, and
the camp is empty except for your intrepid reporter. Instead of eating
alone I have been invited into the kitchen each day to eat with the
owners/workers. Long table, long stories, long time friends, to say
nothing of the beautiful Russian girls here for a summer of work before
they return to university. Wayno, get thee to an airport!

I was totally stumped fishing on Monday morning. I did not know what
the fish wanted. I saw a very big brookie finning, but I could not see
what he was taking. Probably BWOs. I tried some and they were
ignored; not even a come-up-and-look-see.

With the water running so very high, the only real place to fish is the
eddy on the south shore of the river at the dam. The leaks in the dam
(I know, scary!) form a pretty good run-off into the river, while the
back eddy of the river forms a fairly big pool. These areas are
usually full of fish, but I was totally baffled by what they wanted. I
tried all my favorite nymphs, including some big ones (#16), and dries
including caddis and mayfly. Nothing!

By pure chance I found a really beat-up Henryville Special. This is
one of my go-to flies on this river, but I had none in my boxes except
for this pathetic looking example. Wing torn, hackle bent, I tied it
on and gently cast it into one of the currents caused by the leaks.
BAM! The fight finally was on! A fair size male brookie, about 17
inches, had ingested the hobo-looking fly. I was fishing off of the
fartherest runway at the dam, with a usual drop to the water of about 6
feet, making it difficult to land any fish. However, the river was so
high that the water was now only about a foot from the top of the
decking. One swoop with my net and Mr Brookie was in hand. I was
disappointed to see several hook wounds in his lips, but other than
that he was a healthy and perfect specimen. A quick release and I was
back to my job of fooling fish.

A few minutes later and I landed an 18 inch land lock salmon, followed
by two more small ones. Not too bad for a river spoiled by flood
waters.

On Tuesday the dam keeper lowered the water to 5600 cfs. You hardly
noticed a difference, although the water in fact dropped by at least 6
inches. A new seam opened up between the runways. I worked it for a
good hour without even a hint of a strike. Back to the far side. By
chance Whit had 8 Henryville Specials on hand at the lodge. My fly box
now contains 8 normal looking well dressed Henryvilles, and one hobo in
tattered clothes. I tied on the Hobo (of course!) and within the first
hour had two big salmon (18+ inches) and two small (12 inchers) salmon.
No brookies, big or small.

I don't know how, but the nocturnal type of mosquito got into the cabin
last night as I was enjoying the movie QBVII. The diurnal variety of
mosquitoes up here in the Maine woods are bad enough, but the nocturnal
ones are worse. They remove flesh when they bite, and bite they did.
I got little rest because of them. I finally got out of bed about 5:30
and had a cup of coffe made at 6 when the electricity came on. After
breakfast I was debating on whether to head for the river, or go back
to bed and let the day time skeeters have their way with me. As luck
would have it, thunder storms were in the neighborhood with loud claps
and bright flashes. Not wanting to tempt the gods by waving a
conductive stick in the air, I retired to my bedroom and three more
hours of sleep sans mosquitoes of any kind.

Refreshed and well fed, I plan on hitting the river after this is
written. More to follow.

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jun 1, 12:38*pm, D. LaCourse wrote:
[...]

Dave

Mosquitoes are part of my weight loss program.
Enjoy the trip my friend.
Frank Reid
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-06-01 13:38:38 -0400, D. LaCourse said:

[...]

I got to the river about 2:00. No need for waders, right? Wrong?
They would have kept me dry and I could have continued fishing. I
caught two patheticall small salmon on the pathetically dressed
Henryville Special. Two of the Russian girls came down to watch
(Wayno, where are you?), and giggled at each catch. Wonder what they
would have said if they saw a real big one (fish, fish, think fish).
d;o)

My back was bothering me, muscle spasms I believe, so I laid down on
the decking and used by vest as a pillow. I was fairly comfortable
when I got pelted in the face with raindrops so big, they hurt. Then
the hail hit. Little pea size hail that pelted everything, making a
cacophony of noise on the tin roof of the dam building, and the medal
grating and wooden piers. I can hardly wait to see my new Audi A8L
parked at South Arm. Probably looks like a golf ball. By the time I
got my rain coat out of my vest, I was soaked. Heavy winds didn't
help. I got to the shelter of my camp just as the rain stopped. Lots
of lightning/thunder. Whit visited me with reports of a small tornato
in the vicinity of Bethel, just south and a bit west of us.

Now, as I write, the sun is shining and it is warming. Dinner in an
hour and a half, so time for a martini to warm my weathered (and
withered) bones. More whenever.....

Dave
(Tonight's movie: QB VII, disc II)

Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-06-01 13:38:38 -0400, D. LaCourse said:

[...]

Great mini-series, QB VII. I especially like the ending. Justice is served.

Cold this morning, and a bit of rain. I've started a fire in the stove
to dry out my vest after getting soaked yesterday. The cabin is warm
and cozy while the rain on the roof is hypnotic. Old men can always
use a nap. The fish will be there when I awake.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On 2011-06-01 13:38:38 -0400, D. LaCourse said:

[...]

Dave, don't know what you get for news up there, but western/central
MA was hit hard by tornadoes. Wes Spfld, Spfld, Monson, Wilbraham,
Brimfield, Sturbridge, etc. Heavy damage in the South End of Spfld,
and the center of Monson was pretty much destroyed. My youngest
daughter lives in Monson, and was told not to expect power back for
two weeks.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-06-02 14:40:01 -0400, george9219 said:

Dave, don't know what you get for news up there, but western/central
MA was hit hard by tornadoes. Wes Spfld, Spfld, Monson, Wilbraham,
Brimfield, Sturbridge, etc. Heavy damage in the South End of Spfld,
and the center of Monson was pretty much destroyed. My youngest
daughter lives in Monson, and was told not to expect power back for
two weeks.

Yeah, heard/read about it from Jo and google. Also, a neice that lives
in the Sixteen Acres area of Springfield reported one touching down
near them. Weird weather everywhere, including up here.

Two days ago it was 85, now it is in the 40s. It is supposed to get
down into the low 30s tonight with frost warning all around.

I went fishing about 1 and came back at 3:30, my hands where so cold I
had trouble tying on a fly. Took a nice brookie and a couple of
salmon. Lost the brookie of my lifetime. He came up, sipped my Hobo
Henryville Special, and made a quick run for the heavy water. The 5x
tippet didn't hold. Beautiful fish. During the fight I lost my
favorite hat to the wind.

Hot wood fire in the stove. It is gonna be a two dog night.

Hope you and yours are ok.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 03:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On 2011-06-02 14:40:01 -0400, george9219 said:

[...]

Women and fish...the ones you don't bring to hand are always the most
beautiful.
Frank Reid
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On 2011-06-02 14:40:01 -0400, george9219 said:

[...]

Aye, but its been quite a few years since I had a full stringer....

--riverman
Old June 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"D. LaCourse" wrote
(snip)
Refreshed and well fed, I plan on hitting the river after this is written.
More to follow.

Dave

very enjoyable reportage, louie. please keep it up. if i show up, it
will be with large bottles of stolichnaya...

yfitons
wayno

Old June 3rd, 2011, 09:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-06-03 11:50:47 -0400, "Wayne Harrison" said:

"D. LaCourse" wrote
(snip)
Refreshed and well fed, I plan on hitting the river after this is written.
More to follow.

Dave

very enjoyable reportage, louie. please keep it up. if i show up, it
will be with large bottles of stolichnaya...

yfitons
wayno

They have confessed to drinking the clear stuff. Stoli would impress
them, I am sure. Portland air is only about an hour and half away.
What flight? And don't cry poverty. What are you going to do with it
when you are dead?

Finally went out today after lunch. The flow has dropped to 1000 cfs,
but it seems more like 1200. Anyway, good fishing up and down the
river. I was immediately into a couple of female brookies using a size
18 self-tied brassie. Stayed with it fishing all the seams coming from
the dam, and on a long cast with three stack mends, my line stopped. I
set the hook and though I had snagged a rock. Uhuh. It was a fish and
it could only be a big brookie. Fought him for 5 minutes before
landing him. Held him up with two hands so friends could see him. I
removed the hook and put him back in the net. I reached for my camera
inside my vest and just as I turned it on the fish jumped out of the
net and I dropped the camera into the net. Damn. Kirk, the dam
keeper's son, estimated it to be at least five pounds. It looked like
a Labrador brookie. It certainly made my week, counselor.

Have a bad case of diverticulitus all week, and it is especially bad
today. Think I'll have to see a doc before coming back on Monday.