Knot question....

Old June 15th, 2011, 03:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Knot question....

On Jun 14, 1:13*pm, riverman wrote:
Apologies for posting this on this particular day, but this is time-
ended...

I'm tuning up my 8-wt for a trip, and tying on new 15-lb leader. But
as carefully as I am with tying my nail knot, the sheath of the fly
line keeps tearing loose and stripping the leader off. This knot has
to be solid enough to hold a very large fish: is there an good
alternate knot for the line-leader connection, or some hints from
folks to make the loops in the leader not cut the sheathing on the
line? You salmon fishermen probably know some tricks....?

Thanks

--riverman

Thanks, all. I'm going to try Bob's advice about really torquing down
on the leader before I trim the ends. RW: I'm a big fan of Albright
knots, but not with fat leader. The stiffness of the leader keeps the
loops from sliding down against the bend in the fly line and locking
off the knot at the very end. And a closely trimmed short end only has
to slip back out that bend and the whole thing comes undone. But if
all else fails, I'll do an Albright with a Superglue finish :-)

--riverman
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Jun 14, 7:05*pm, riverman wrote:
[...]

Myron, your comment about super glue reminded me of something I did on
my Steelhead leaders. Buy a tube of Loon Knot Sense and coat the
finished nail knot with it. I don't know if it helps, but I have
landed Steelhead up to 22# in heavy current without ever having a nail
knot fail. BTW you should wet the line & leader before torquing down.
Also I didn't explain the threading method very well - After threading
the butt of the leader ~ 3/8" up the center of the line, bring the
butt end out the side of the line to tie a nail knot - upper end of
knot even with where the leader exits the side of the line. Carefully
trim any of the line from around the leader that extends past the
lower end of the nail knot when done.

Bob Weinberger

Old June 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey[_2_]

"riverman" wrote in message
Apologies for posting this on this particular day, but this is time-
ended...

I'm tuning up my 8-wt for a trip, and tying on new 15-lb leader. But
as carefully as I am with tying my nail knot, the sheath of the fly
line keeps tearing loose and stripping the leader off. This knot has
to be solid enough to hold a very large fish: is there an good
alternate knot for the line-leader connection, or some hints from
folks to make the loops in the leader not cut the sheathing on the
line? You salmon fishermen probably know some tricks....?

Thanks

--riverman Hi Myron,

I haven't used nail knots for years. Instead I attach a short lenght (12")
of strong nylon leader to the flyline by means of about 3ins of braided
leader. Strip off say 1" of outer covering off the Line insert the bared
core into one end of the breaided leader and into the other end insert the
strong nylon. Apply super glue to both ends of the braided leader. Form a
loop to the other end of the nylon and attach your fishing leader,loop to
loop to the strong nylon.

Bill

Old June 21st, 2011, 06:23 PM
johnnobama johnnobama is offline
Junior Member

Good advice; however, a adaptable base area is bigger than a stiff one. The acumen is appealing simple: any acerbity in the baton will rob the casting of activity if the the angle of the casting alcove it. The loop "tries" to angle the annealed section, and the activity that the bending consumes is lost.
Old June 21st, 2011, 06:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Jun 20, 10:56*am, "Bill Grey" wrote:

--riverman Hi Myron,

I haven't used nail knots for years. *Instead I attach a short lenght (12")
of strong nylon leader to the flyline by means of about 3ins of braided
leader. Strip off say 1" of outer covering off the Line insert *the bared
core *into one end of the breaided leader and into the other end insert the
strong nylon. *Apply super glue to both ends of the braided leader. *Form a
loop to the other end of the nylon and attach your fishing leader,loop to
loop to the strong nylon.

Bill

Bill,
I used a line/leader connection very similar to that for a number of
years. However, I quit using it and went back to the nail not when two
of those connections failed .
First failure - lost a leader and fly when one of those connections
failed while casting, with no clue as to what had happened. Second
failure - Checked connection & found that the glue connection was no
longer holding & that the "Chinese finger grip" of the braid was
slowly working its way loose - loosen, slip, tighten, repeat.

Bob Weinberger

Old June 21st, 2011, 07:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Jun 21, 1:27*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

Not all super glue is waterproof. use Zap a Gap to connect leader to
line, and, in 10 years, have never had a failure.
Old June 25th, 2011, 07:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill Grey[_2_]

"george9219" wrote in message
On Jun 21, 1:27 pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

....and of course the heavy short piece of nylon attached as above does make
the fly turn over beautifully

Bill