Trying to rejoin ROFF after years

Old July 8th, 2011, 09:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Bellows

Default Trying to rejoin ROFF after years

Hi, guys. I was an active roffian years ago and attended the Penn's
Creek clave. (Remember the pic of me in my stripey long johns?) Don't
subscribe to usenet currently but would love to rejoin my roffian
buds. Is the forum still mainly on usenet, or is there a more modern
"forum" site where y'all are hanging out? (I've always found Google
Groups awkward.)

Hope everyone's well --
Scoobey
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jul 8, 3:13*pm, Scott Bellows wrote:
Hi, guys. I was an active roffian years ago and attended the Penn's
Creek clave. (Remember the pic of me in my stripey long johns?) Don't
subscribe to usenet currently but would love to rejoin my roffian
buds. Is the forum still mainly on usenet, or is there a more modern
"forum" site where y'all are hanging out? (I've always found Google
Groups awkward.)

Hope everyone's well --
Scoobey

Jeez, if it isn't the Oregonian Boy Lawyer. How goes?
Roff is, as always, on USENet, though a few have migrated to
Facebook.
Still a lawyer or did you move on to the negotiator role?
Frank Reid
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jul 8, 3:13*pm, Scott Bellows wrote:
Hi, guys. I was an active roffian years ago and attended the Penn's
Creek clave. (Remember the pic of me in my stripey long johns?) Don't
subscribe to usenet currently but would love to rejoin my roffian
buds. Is the forum still mainly on usenet, or is there a more modern
"forum" site where y'all are hanging out? (I've always found Google
Groups awkward.)

Hope everyone's well --
Scoobey

And WHY would anyone want to rejoin this madhouse... just saying. :-)
Frank Reid
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 7/8/2011 4:26 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
On Jul 8, 3:13 pm, Scott wrote:
Hi, guys. I was an active roffian years ago and attended the Penn's
Creek clave. (Remember the pic of me in my stripey long johns?) Don't
subscribe to usenet currently but would love to rejoin my roffian
buds. Is the forum still mainly on usenet, or is there a more modern
"forum" site where y'all are hanging out? (I've always found Google
Groups awkward.)

Hope everyone's well --
Scoobey

And WHY would anyone want to rejoin this madhouse... just saying. :-)
Frank Reid

indeed, and welcome back, Scott,er,Scooby!

Tom
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Scott Bellows

On Jul 8, 3:13 pm, Scott *wrote:
Hi, guys. I was an active roffian years ago and attended the Penn's
Creek clave. (Remember the pic of me in my stripey long johns?) Don't
subscribe to usenet currently but would love to rejoin my roffian
buds. Is the forum still mainly on usenet, or is there a more modern
"forum" site where y'all are hanging out? (I've always found Google
Groups awkward.)

Hope everyone's well --
Scoobey

And WHY would anyone want to rejoin this madhouse... just saying. :-)
Frank Reid

indeed, and welcome back, Scott,er,Scooby!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

Tom! Frank! And you remember details about me! Day-umn! I'm impressed
and humbly gratified.

Yep, I gave up litigation shortly after that early-2000s clave, and
entered an 11-step program (like 12 step, but without #9, "make
amends," because really, how can an ex trial lawyer ever hope to even
BEGIN to make amends for all the harm he's done?). Still a lawyer
(like Lincoln and Gandhi), but working only as a mediator and
arbitrator. Pays 1/10 as much, but only 1/10 the likelihood of being
reincarnated as a newt, which is a reasonable tradeoff IMHO (if not in
my wife's).

Haven't fished anywhere near as much as I should have, despite hi-def
memories of catching my first-ever rising-to-a-fly trout (and my first-
ever brownie) on a CDC Sulphur in Penn's Creek while the rest of you
goggled in amazement at how frigging long it took me just to tie on a
fly and repressed urges to step in front of me and cast to the damn
thing before the hatch abated. But had great good fun catching nothing
while floating the Deschutes last summer with my then-16, 17 year old
daughter (other one's 15), and now the 17 year old is pushing to learn
FFing. Yeehaw! A built-in buddy (for the next year, anyway)! So I'm
trying to step back into it. Bought new waders (Patagonia's last-year
model at half off) and $100 worth of flies yesterday at Kaufmann's
bankruptcy sale to stock her box and replenish my own (hat placed
solemnly on heart Kauffmann's; I now own the last true Kauffmann's
Stimulators on Earth).

How are you guys? Any notable changes to the group?
Old July 9th, 2011, 01:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jul 8, 3:13 pm, Scott *wrote:
[...]

Well, Joel Axelrad (he of the martini) passed away this year. That
was just last month. He had come down to Penns, didn't feel well,
went to the hospital and never checked out. He will be missed.
Now on to the less serious.
Most of the folks in the group have given up fly fishing after Mike
Makela and I regaled them daily of that day that you, Makela and I
kept yanking lips at Ingleby. They couldn't bare the shame of not
measuring up to those standards.
Tom moved from commercial medical lab work and joined the DEA.
Handyman Mike shaved off his ponytail and beard and is now a mixed
martial artist. Dave PA is now running for Pennslyvania State Patrol
Chief. Makela stil fly fishes. He's got a lot of time after that
incident where he lived for 4 months as a noviate in the convent.
Kinda got found out when kept asking about the class for smacking
students over the knuckles with a ruler.
What else. Oh, the two boy lawyers from North Cackalacky also
repented their years in law and started an organic duck duck farm.
Don't worry, they're doing quite well as Jeff has discovered a new way
to dispatch and pluck the ducks in one swift move. Dave, the Pirate,
LaCourse is now a political advisor to the Massachusetts State
Democratic Party
I've moved to Nebraska and caught every trout in the state, three
times. After that first weekend, I became a logger in our national
forest. I also ship flash-frozen carp cake to Maryland.
So, yeah, pretty much the status quo (that's latin for all horcked
up).
Frank Reid
Old July 9th, 2011, 01:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jul 8, 3:13 pm, Scott *wrote:
[...]

By the way, after that weekend, I'm not welcome near the aquarium at
Cabelas anymore.
Frank Reid
Old July 9th, 2011, 02:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 8, 2:13*pm, Scott Bellows wrote:
Hi, guys. I was an active roffian years ago and attended the Penn's
Creek clave. (Remember the pic of me in my stripey long johns?) Don't
subscribe to usenet currently but would love to rejoin my roffian
buds. Is the forum still mainly on usenet, or is there a more modern
"forum" site where y'all are hanging out? (I've always found Googletsts
Groups awkward.)

Hope everyone's well --
Scoobey

Does this presage a ROFF renaissance? I hope so, because this place
has been tits-up for years.
Old July 9th, 2011, 05:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jul 8, 4:13*pm, Scott Bellows wrote:
Hi, guys. I was an active roffian years ago and attended the Penn's
Creek clave. (Remember the pic of me in my stripey long johns?) Don't
subscribe to usenet currently but would love to rejoin my roffian
buds. Is the forum still mainly on usenet, or is there a more modern
"forum" site where y'all are hanging out? (I've always found Google
Groups awkward.)

Hope everyone's well --
Scoobey

hey, man, welcome back. reid is wrong about me and jeffie. jeff
don't know **** about ducks. for my part, if they fly, they die. and
defending people charged with crimes is still the most honorable
profession on the planet.

louie remains the luckiest mofo alive. but barely. tommylitt is
still the only yankee i have ever known who i would call a gentleman.
well, maybe timmmaaay, as well; and george cleveland, although he is
from the land of the iron brigade, the only outfit worthy of mention
alongside the 1st texas and the 26th north carolina. wolfgang is the
only man alive who loves to be hated, and forty can't stand the fact
that there remains some tiny element of decency about him that keeps
him from being wolfgang.

willy is still the king: best i ever saw==the ring bearer, even
though he has chosen to depart the kingdom of men.

the really good ones will still show up to fish, but have lost their
taste for the bull**** that pervades this valley of tears. rw is
right.

your friend in the old north state
wayno

Old July 9th, 2011, 03:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

hey, man, welcome back. reid is wrong about me and jeffie. jeff
don't know **** about ducks. for my part, if they fly, they die.

....au contraire mon ami... i know this about ducks: if they waddle down
a highway they won't make it to the flyway! i also know dining on duck
breast cooked on a grill set above embers in a fireplace, in the chill
of a winter evening, accompanied with good spirits and friends is some
of the best nourishment a human soul can find.

of course, hunting highway duck in a truck has a limited season and
geography. but, i expect i am among the deadliest and most experienced
at the sport.

i also excel at harvesting the elusive power line dove, and those that
remain in a field waiting to be kicked to the dinner table.

and
defending people charged with crimes is still the most honorable
profession on the planet.

oyez, oyez, oyez!!

jeff (exhaling in groan-ville, tarpon fishing in the pamlico)