r.o.f.f.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Default r.o.f.f.

Ken Fortenberry typed:
Russell D. wrote:
R.I.P.

Usenet has been critically ill for quite awhile now. We should
regard its passing as a blessing and remember it fondly.

There's a roff on Facebook and if Google+ ever reaches critical
mass there will be a roff there as well.

roff is dead, long live roff.

+Like
+Friend
+Blech!

Facebook has its place, but usenet is better in many ways. Anarchy rocks!
--
TL,
Tim

Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw56

On Sep 2, 5:48*pm, rw56 wrote:.

That said, I don't like The Drake forums for the same reason I
sometimes disliked ROFF: the bad behavior that anonymity leads to. The
newbie bashing, for example, is brutal -- worse than anything I've
ever seen on ROFF.

Just to be clear about The Drake, I also dislke the in-crowd cliques,
the sexism, the homophobia, and the rampant redneckism. Kind of sounds
like ROFF in its glory days.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 8/31/2011 6:18 PM, Ken Fortenberry wrote:
rw56 wrote:

One of the reasons I don't bemoan the demise of Usenet is because
Usenet was accepting of anonymity. Social networks will work much
better and will be more enjoyable for most folks when anonymity is
not allowed.

so trading off sorting through anonymity in exchange for loss of
personal privacy is a good thing, you reckon? I differ, and have never
had any problem sorting through the spammers and sock puppets on Usenet
by myself.
Tom
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

rw56 wrote:

One of the reasons I don't bemoan the demise of Usenet is because
Usenet was accepting of anonymity. Social networks will work much
better and will be more enjoyable for most folks when anonymity is
not allowed.

so trading off sorting through anonymity in exchange for loss of
personal privacy is a good thing, you reckon? I differ, and have never
had any problem sorting through the spammers and sock puppets on Usenet
by myself.
Tom

Actually I love sock puppets, especially Personaobscura and Mikey's
various socks.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Tom Littleton wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
One of the reasons I don't bemoan the demise of Usenet is because
Usenet was accepting of anonymity. Social networks will work much
better and will be more enjoyable for most folks when anonymity is
not allowed.

so trading off sorting through anonymity in exchange for loss of
personal privacy is a good thing, you reckon?

This is the 21st century, unless you live in a cave and pay cash
for everything your personal privacy is an illusion. I don't ****
my britches when Amazon recommends fly fishing books.

I differ, and have never
had any problem sorting through the spammers and sock puppets on Usenet
by myself.

Civility is the biggest issue. Social networks where you have
to use your name are more civil than Usenet newsgroups. Some
view this as a feature, others a bug. YMMV

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message
ations...

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote

(snip)

turns out i was wrong about r.o.f.f--it was not darwinian. it changed, and
as a result thereof, died.

but, hell, thanks for the memories.

your friend in the old north state
wayno

Well...five major extinction events HAVE occurred before....

john

Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

"Wayne Harrison" wrote in message
ations...

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote

(snip)

turns out i was wrong about r.o.f.f--it was not darwinian. it changed, and
as a result thereof, died.

but, hell, thanks for the memories.

your friend in the old north state
wayno

Well....five major extinctions HAVE occurred before.....

john

Old September 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Suzan Thornberg

On Aug 31, 3:40*pm, "Russell D." wrote:
R.I.P.

Was going to chime in.....but just decided it is good to see some
discussion....some names that match some faces.....and the hope this
place doesn't fade into the {Cloud). Still have not made it to a
Penn's Clave but plan to withing a couple years.
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 9/2/2011 5:26 PM, D. LaCourse wrote:

Dave
Soon to be puzzled in GA.

the locale changes, and the puzzlement remains constantg
Tom