What the hell has happened to this place?

Old December 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw56

Default What the hell has happened to this place?

On 2011-12-10 21:58:15 -0500, rw56 said:

On Dec 10, 5:20*pm, Tim Lysyk wrote:
On 10/12/2011 1:59 PM, Tim J. wrote:

Frank Reid © *typed:
On Dec 9, 10:45 pm, *wrote:
On Dec 5, 11:16 am, Frank Reid © *wrote

:

Go on FB and search "ROFF" in the search bar.
Frank Reid

I rather like this place now -- just a few old timers gathered around
a dying campfire.

WHO YOU CALLING OLD!!!

You remember 300 baud modems, floppy disks, and parallel ports, right?

Need
I say more?

I remember punch cards and card readers. As well as all of the above.
Including cassette tape storage.

Tim Lysyk

I wrote Fortran programs on punch cards in 1965. We used the chaff for
pranks -- throw a box of it in some nerd's closet and he'll never
clean it up because of the static charge. Remember the chain-driven
line printers? Remember ferrite-core RAM? Drum drives? Batch
processing? Remember when CDC and Honeywell and Univac were big
players? Time sharing? Dumb terminals? Remember DEC? Minicomputers?
Paper tape? PDP-11?

Remember when the workplace was lit by gaslights?

No, but I remember negro peddlers driving horse-drawn carts in
Baltimore, calling out various wares and services, from watermelons to
knife sharpening. They were confined to the alleyways. And I remember
separate white and colored watering fountains.
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Dec 9, 10:45 pm, *wrote:
[...]

separate white and colored watering fountains.- Hide quoted text -

I remember the fear of police and State Troopers in New Jersey, where
shakedowns of civilian business people were unsurprising, beatings and
"suicide in jail" periodic, bottles of whisky greased building
inspections, and bets and numbers were conviently possible at most
city parking lot attendent huts and corner "candy shops." I remember
Troopers shaking down Black families at the side of US 130, with all
their luggage spread out in the grass. I remember a Black friend in my
HS geometry class who was beaten to death in the city jail.

I also remember lots of good stuff, like the opportunities nite school
or the military (Marines or Navy preferred) or a ticket West could
mean. but I am VERY content that much of the bad old days are gone.

Dave Snedeker
Old December 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
s g

On Dec 10, 7:12*pm, "Tim J."
wrote:
jeff typed:

On 12/10/2011 3:59 PM, Tim J. wrote:
Frank Reid © *typed:
On Dec 9, 10:45 pm, *wrote:
On Dec 5, 11:16 am, Frank Reid © *wrote:

Go on FB and search "ROFF" in the search bar.
Frank Reid

I rather like this place now -- just a few old timers gathered
around a dying campfire.

WHO YOU CALLING OLD!!!

You remember 300 baud modems, floppy disks, and parallel ports,
right? Need I say more?

300 baud?? *jeez, you guys are geezer geeks!

Yep. I don't know where ol' Stan has gone lately, but he has geezer geek
stories that would curl your hair.
--
TL,
Tim

Stan is still sometimes lurking. I'm so old my stories have forgotten
me.
Old December 16th, 2011, 02:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Dec 14, 8:32*am, s g wrote:

On Dec 9, 10:45 pm, *wrote:
On Dec 5, 11:16 am, Frank Reid © *wrote:

Go on FB and search "ROFF" in the search bar.
Frank Reid

I rather like this place now -- just a few old timers gathered
around a dying campfire.

WHO YOU CALLING OLD!!!

You remember 300 baud modems, floppy disks, and parallel ports,
right? Need I say more?

300 baud?? *jeez, you guys are geezer geeks!

Yep. I don't know where ol' Stan has gone lately, but he has geezer geek
stories that would curl your hair.
--
TL,
Tim

Stan is still sometimes lurking. *I'm so old my stories have forgotten
me.

The groundhog has not forgotten.
Frank Reid
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Dec 1, 10:59*pm, Chad wrote:
So I have been a little busy. Life, well... it's a kick in the ass at
times. As for fishing and tying, not like I use to. But I still get
out from time to time. I have not been here on ROFF in years. I return
and what the hell? Where did everybody go? I faded away due to just
not being able to keep up. Now, no fear of that. Did you all move to a
forum or something?
I use to post under the name Goat. Nothing lasts forever but I am a
little shocked. ROFF was a flurry of activity at one time.
Really guys, did everybody jump to a forum or is this ember just
hardly glowing?

Chad

Hm.....where to begin?

Well, things change.....some of them, anyway, sometimes.

The moved to another forum thingy......that's what ya call yer basic
bull****.

A small number of the reliable thinking posters died. That happens.
Others have given up for a variety of reasons, none of which redound
to their great credit. A few remain but seldom stick up their heads.

A substantial number of the reliable morons still lurk reliably and
ocassionaly sally forth to garner yet another well-deserved
drubbing.....knowing full well what is in store for them, but
incapable of exercising anything resembling restraint. We like them.

A few.....very few.....of the latter no longer read these pages. This
is evident by virtue of the fact that they NEVER post proof to the
contrary.

The bulk of the remainder of readers are just plain tired of the run
of the mill ****wits.....but are afraid to tell them so.

A precious few go about their business here, as always. We adore
them.

giles
who will gladly address.....personally.....anyone who feels that he or
she has been left out.
Old December 19th, 2011, 11:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Dec 19, 4:06*pm, Giles wrote:
On Dec 1, 10:59*pm, Chad wrote:

[...]

Um.....

Or maybe literacy really is moribund.

giles
well under 140.....this time.
Old December 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Russell D.

On 12/19/2011 03:30 PM, Giles wrote:

giles
well under 140.....this time.

That's rare. ;-)
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Dec 20, 10:54*am, "Russell D." wrote:
On 12/19/2011 03:30 PM, Giles wrote:

giles
well under 140.....this time.

That's rare. ;-)

And rare = precious.

No, don't thank me.....it's not so much my bequest to mankind as a
modest demonstration that we ALL have something to offer.....whether
or not the scum deserve it.

giles
who, having grown up more or less german, has a precious insight into
the term "gift".
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Dec 20, 3:53*pm, Giles wrote:
On Dec 20, 10:54*am, "Russell D." wrote:

On 12/19/2011 03:30 PM, Giles wrote:

giles
well under 140.....this time.

That's rare. ;-)

And rare = precious.

No, don't thank me.....it's not so much my bequest to mankind as a
modest demonstration that we ALL have something to offer.....whether
or not the scum deserve it.

giles
who, having grown up more or less german, has a precious insight into
the term "gift".

If I see something under the tree marked "Gift aus Wolfgang," I'll
call HAZMAT.
Frank Reid
Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
s g

On Dec 16, 8:21*am, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
On Dec 14, 8:32*am, s g wrote:

On Dec 9, 10:45 pm, *wrote:
On Dec 5, 11:16 am, Frank Reid © *wrote:

Go on FB and search "ROFF" in the search bar.
Frank Reid

I rather like this place now -- just a few old timers gathered
around a dying campfire.

WHO YOU CALLING OLD!!!

You remember 300 baud modems, floppy disks, and parallel ports,
right? Need I say more?

300 baud?? *jeez, you guys are geezer geeks!

Yep. I don't know where ol' Stan has gone lately, but he has geezer geek
stories that would curl your hair.
--
TL,
Tim

Stan is still sometimes lurking. *I'm so old my stories have forgotten
me.

The groundhog has not forgotten.
Frank Reid

I miss our groundhog buddy. I may go to Penns Creek this year just to
drive over that wrong pass.