Is Ridgid Going the Way of OTher Power Tool Makers ???

Old April 29th, 2014, 09:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_6_]

Default Is Ridgid Going the Way of OTher Power Tool Makers ???

Is Ridgid Going the Way of OTher Power Tool Makers ???

I've been an outspoken fan of Ridgid power tools for a number of years.
Their contractor grade tools have been very good since I bought my first
Ridgid power tool.

I have over the years bought the following Ridgid power tools which all
still work very well.

Table Saw
Band Saw
Jig Saw
1/2 Drill
Pneumatic Framing Nailer
Sliding Compound Miter Saw

I am sure I have missed a couple, anyway I have been pretty happy with them.
Certainly for the price. On my recommendation my wife bought a Ridgid
router for making cabinet doors. The other day I set it up for her in the
new cast iron table saw extension so she would quit using the rickety router
table she had. Its very nice to work with. While I was mounting it to the
insert plate for the extension table I noticed the power switch was very
stiff to turn on. I don't mean needing firm pressure, but needing all my
strength with my thumb locked and painful to turn on. I asked my wife how
long it had been that way, and she said since she bought it.

blink blink

I plan to make a little switch box to mount on the bottom of the extension
so it won't be a huge issue, but what if we want to use it not mounted up in
the table. That's just plane dangerous in my opinion. In fact when I took
it out of the bag it was turned on. My wife had left it that way because
she couldn't turn it on at all without inserting a screwdriver behind the
switch to give it a little boost.

Ok, everybody has an off day. I suppose even Ridgid can have a problem, so
I contacted them. After finding their contact form I filled them in that I
have been a long time Ridgid tool fan, the problem with the router, and
asked if there was a fix and/or a fix I could do in the field. (I used to
do warranty repairs for a couple other brands when I worked at Tool &
Supply). After several days I received an email saying my response could be
found on-line. Since I had not setup an account I didn't see how that was
possible, but I followed their link which went nowhere, set up an account,
and found no answer. I made a couple more enquiries and still received no
response.

The issue with the tool bothers me on a safety basis since my wife will be
using the tool. The crickets chirping on the Internet in lieu of a response
however is a bit more disturbing. After having been a Ridgid tool fan for
many years (decades maybe?) I am forced to down grade my opinion of them.
They may still be great tools overall, but I will no longer pick them over
another brand arbitrarily when am in a hurry and need something to get a job
done.

Bob La Londe
Licensed Contractor
Commercial and Residential